Which 12AX7

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,
    I am very much satisfied with my Philips E83CC SQ driving the phono stage on my C22CE. Excellent tubes for the Job and the money. Well balanced, transparent, detailed and very quiet. Interesting, they have been produced by Siemens&Halske / Munich factory.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170921_134102.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	67756

Also Sylvania 5751 work well with my gear.

Made bad experiences with JJ ECC83 MG and the Sovteks.
    McIntosh C22CE, MC275CE, Cary Audio CD303, Thorens TD125 MkII, Schick 9,6, Ortofon #1-E, OrtofonST-7, Heco Direkt

Comment

What about the Philips Miniwatt tubes, Heerlen factory.

Short and long plate 12ax7's, the best I have heard, I've had hundreds of 12ax7's from all the factories.

Brand names mean little, factory and codes are the determinate.
      Last edited by Greg Beron; 10-12-2017, 08:06 PM.

Comment

• McD275
        McD275 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Greg,

You are right. Names mean nothing, the factory and the codes are important.

I checked my above mentioned Philips and all wear the Siemens factory Code from Munich (E0 1# 9C or 7A, ring getter, single getter support). The Sylvania show 34167 7939 AEG. Does it mean they have been produced by AEG/Germany?

I just got Nick Doshi's phono stage and think it is pretty well broken in. My first tube change will be Raytheon 5751s to replace the 12AX7s. I don't think the gain decrease will be an issue. I am curious how things will sound.
      Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Miyajima Madake, Miyajima Zero, Benz Micro LPS; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Studer A812; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Comment

if you want tor try something different - 12BZ7 in the 12AX7/ECC83 sections and 12AZ7 for the 12AT7/ECC81 slots. You can get some 40's and 50's round plate 12BZ7's and if the unit can stand a little more filament current will work as a 12AX7 sub. the 12AZ7 was a tube designed for automotive use and is a 10k hour tube selected for uniform output with a varying filament voltage.

Comment

Originally posted by Doshiaudio View Post
          if the unit can stand a little more filament current will work as a 12AX7 sub.
          I assume your unit can?
          Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Miyajima Madake, Miyajima Zero, Benz Micro LPS; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Studer A812; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Comment

• Doshiaudio
            Doshiaudio commented
            Editing a comment
            yes - it will tolerate the additional filament current

Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
          Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
          -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
          -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
          -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
          -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
          -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
          -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
          -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
          -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
          -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
          -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Smooth plate Telefunkens in my Aesthetix Rhea Signature!
            (Will offer that beyond my first gain stage RCA 7058 work splendidly and they are dirt cheap)
            Listening/Living room 25.5x14.5x8.5, modestly live & dynamic, Brinkmann Balance w/RöNT II PS, HRS, Reed P3-12, Miyajima Zero, Avid Acutus SP, SME V w/Kondo fairyhair silver litz, Lyra Kleos, Linn Sondek LP12 w/Ittok LVII, Nakamichi ZX-7, SCD-XA5400ES, Aesthetix Calypso & Rhea Signatures, Nordost TYR Norse 2 XLR IC, Silent Source Music Ref mains, Atma-Sphere MA1 Mk.3.4 OTL Silver Edition monoblocks, Elrod EPS-3 Sign power cables, Coincident PREt, PS Audio Premiere, Yamamoto racks, SMARTractor

Comment

I think the sound of the tube will vary depending on the circuit, and the overall voicing of the system/user preference. I have, since I owned the Lamm ML2, rolled the old Tele ribbed 12AX7, which complements the sound of the amp- it isn't too rich or warm sounding, and I think it adds some necessary 'bite'- but may not be the tube for all circuits or systems.
              Recent experience suggests to me that many of the tubes on the market are tired. They may have been rated for long hours and may test well when sold, but who knows how many hours are really on them? I had a pair that got sparing use over the last couple years, and my system was sounding a little dull. I got a pair of alleged NOS and it was apparent with these "fresh" tubes that a lot of the high frequency information was missing in the extant pair-- those didn't behave badly, they just lost their mojo. Trying to find true NOS of this tube is, well, good luck.
              I've dealt with most of the well established suppliers over the years.
              I just got my hands on a truly new pair of these: http://www.tubemonger.com/Tungsram_F..._HU_p/1311.htm

The Psvane is supposedly a decent sounding tube. I may try it. It isn't price- it's more like buying a car with an odometer that you know is inaccurate. Sure, I can keep replacing them every couple years, but I'd really prefer knowing that I'm starting at the beginning of the tube's life, not near it's end. And, "tests NOS" doesn't mean anything.
              PS: that dealer linked to above doesn't purport to cover everything, but he's had some cool stuff. I got never used flying lead EF86s from him for my old Quad amps. He has a process to convert the flying lead to a conventional tube pin bottom-- they are very nice tubes!

Comment

I've found theTelefunkens the most well balanced for my needs in the Aesthetix gear. I have horded 100s over the years and test them for noise and microphony. They are the most consistent section to section than most any other variant and virtually bullet proof in terms of aging.

Actually, it is quite rare for a small signal tube to go bad from use outside of developing microphonics or noise. IOW, I really haven't had a weak tube cause any issues with the circuit performance in any piece of gear- the range of operating points is quite wide for small tubes.

If you use OS tubes from the major manufacturers of yesteryear that initially test good in gear that doesn't beat them to death then other than trying other flavours and developing micophony/noise you should be good for many years of normal use. All bets are off for new production.

Bill Hart if you want to try some EF86s I can send you some I have a stash of more than I can use for my Quad IIs

Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
                Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
                Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
                Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
                Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
                Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

He must be having better luck with them than I did.
                  I have had great luck with the 12AX7 tubes provided with my Zesto 1.2. The JJ tubes are quiet and sound great in the 1.2.
                  SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek with an SME 3012R with Dyna XV-1S cartridge, VPI Avenger table with rim drive and JMW -12-3D arrm with Lyra Etna SL cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Originally posted by kcin View Post
                    I've found theTelefunkens the most well balanced for my needs in the Aesthetix gear. I have horded 100s over the years and test them for noise and microphony. They are the most consistent section to section than most any other variant and virtually bullet proof in terms of aging.

Actually, it is quite rare for a small signal tube to go bad from use outside of developing microphonics or noise. IOW, I really haven't had a weak tube cause any issues with the circuit performance in any piece of gear- the range of operating points is quite wide for small tubes.

If you use OS tubes from the major manufacturers of yesteryear that initially test good in gear that doesn't beat them to death then other than trying other flavours and developing micophony/noise you should be good for many years of normal use. All bets are off for new production.

Bill Hart if you want to try some EF86s I can send you some I have a stash of more than I can use for my Quad IIs

Nick, thanks for that. I'm not really messing with the Quad IIs -they sound wonderful and it's sort of my plug and play system. I wouldn't mind talking to you privately about old 12AX7s, though

Comment

• kcin
                      kcin commented
                      Editing a comment
                      anytime

In my McIntosh C1000C/T tube preamplifier that used to be in the studio two channel system I tried a number of 12AX7 tubes in the moving coil and line stage, NOS Mullard, Tung-Sol, Telefunken, Gold Lion, and others. The Teles remain the champion of low noise, followed close by the Gold Lion gold pin reissues. I found the Mullard CV4004's to be a bit bright. The Tung-Sol's sounded smooth but were not as quiet as I needed with the low output Ortofon Cadenza Black.

The same has been true for the living room preamplifier, a McIntosh C2300 tube preamp. I have Telefunken smooth plates in the moving coil phono stage and Gold Lion 12AX7's in the line stage. The Teles are very quiet and work well with the Ortofon Cadenza Blue in that system.
                    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE with SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
                    LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC452, MR85, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

Comment

Has anyone had an experience with purchasing product form these folks? http://www.nostubestore.com
                      Listening/Living room 25.5x14.5x8.5, modestly live & dynamic, Brinkmann Balance w/RöNT II PS, HRS, Reed P3-12, Miyajima Zero, Avid Acutus SP, SME V w/Kondo fairyhair silver litz, Lyra Kleos, Linn Sondek LP12 w/Ittok LVII, Nakamichi ZX-7, SCD-XA5400ES, Aesthetix Calypso & Rhea Signatures, Nordost TYR Norse 2 XLR IC, Silent Source Music Ref mains, Atma-Sphere MA1 Mk.3.4 OTL Silver Edition monoblocks, Elrod EPS-3 Sign power cables, Coincident PREt, PS Audio Premiere, Yamamoto racks, SMARTractor

Comment

I use two Tele's and two RCA 7025's in my phono stage for a very nice balanced sound...

Comment

The technician that builds my amps sold me a set of Siemens that astonished me. Way better than any other Siemens I have heard. So hard to find a good dealer.
                          PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI preamp,
                          Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
                          Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects.

Comment

Working...
                          X