Which 12AX7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JackD201 View Post
    3 pairs of Telefunken 803s' in my EMT and 1 pair of the same along with Tele 801s' in my Valvet Soulphono. Stock tubes that were replaced in both cases were JJ Tesla 803s.
    That’s like going from a Ford Model T to Ferrari.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
    -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingrex View Post
      The technician that builds my amps sold me a set of Siemens that astonished me. Way better than any other Siemens I have heard. So hard to find a good dealer.
      Which Siemens? They made a couple of different types of 12AX7s. Many seems to like their E83CC. Back in the 80s, my buddy who had an amazing system for the day (highly modded RS1bs with ARC M100s on top, cj Premier 1 on bass, ARC SP10, Goldmund T3 table and arm with Carnegie 1 Cartridge [he also had prototype Basis table and ET2 arm] , MIT cabling) swore by Siemens 6681-12AX7s. Never ever found Siemens 6681-12AX7s but do have some Sylvania 6681-12AX7s. One day will have to look at code as hoping they might actually be Siemens.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Just started to play with a pair of these in the phonostage. Tried the GL (oh how we remember and long for the sound of the original GEC tubes!) long time ago in the earlier Doshi phonostage and thought they were too dark, rolled off and liquid. Like a Mullard on steroids.

Not so sure in the newer Doshi V3.0 phonostage. I think the stock Svetlanas were shot and sounding a bit thin and threadbare. Maybe even little center channel imbalance. The Gold Lions definitely are warmer and right now not quite as detailed. OTOH they are very quiet with a nice, fleshed out midrange and dynamic. We shall see as burn in how they shape up. Best of all, don’t cost an arm and a leg.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_20376.jpg Views:	4 Size:	58.7 KB ID:	122073

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

• tom_hankins
          tom_hankins commented
          Editing a comment
          Tried these, new Mullards and new Tung Sols. All were quiet, but preferred the Tung Sol of the three. Both the Gold Lion and Mullard were to dark sounding for me. Anyway, I put the Teles back in and will probably leave them in.

This is the tube. I have to ask about the year.
        PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI preamp,
        Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
        Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects.

Comment

Working...
        X