6DJ8, 6922, ECC88, etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6DJ8, 6922, ECC88, etc

I'm interested in hearing about some favorites from this relatively large and common tube series. I suspect the best are NOS, and some appear to be pretty pricey. Fire away!
    Tascam BR-20
    Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS
    Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS
    MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out)
    Pass Labs INT60
    Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s
    REL S3 (Kimber Kable connection)
    Daedalus/Wywires, Audioquest, Acoustic Zen, DH cables
    Torus IS5
    Stillpoints and IsoPods, Tube Traps, GIK

Rob,
    what gear do you have that uses tubes in the 6922 family?
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

I've heard and owned NOS Siemens 7308, NOS Amperex 7308 Holland White Label, and NOS Amperex 7308 USA White Label. They went into my CD player/DAC. The NOS Amperex USA 7308 White Label is the best balance of rich midrange with fantastic detail and soundstage dynamics. The Holland Amperex was a lot more lush and romantic (very good in its own right), while the Siemens had the best detail and quickness, but way too lean for my tastes. Very linear and neutral, and seems a bit cold/analytical for tube gear.

Comment

• Analog21
        Analog21 commented
        Editing a comment
        All of the NOS tubes above are early 1960s vintage

• MylesBAstor
        MylesBAstor commented
        Editing a comment
        I've always like the Mullard 7308/E188CC tubes. Big lush mids, powerful, extension. Bass just little too overblown.

I have a bunch of tubes in the 6922 family. I just want to hear from Rob what he wants to use them in.
      Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Telefunken NOS

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post
          Rob,
          what gear do you have that uses tubes in the 6922 family?
          The Modwright Oppo 205, so microphonic tubes can be a problem.
          Tascam BR-20
          Pass Labs INT60
          Torus IS5

Comment

• MylesBAstor
            MylesBAstor commented
            Editing a comment
            That's kinda the issue with the 6DJ8s family and why people went to 6922s.

There are a bunch of different Telefunken NOS tubes with a very wide range of prices. I've also read good things about the 1960's Siemens CCa's, although again they may be fairly expensive.

Tascam BR-20
          Pass Labs INT60
          Torus IS5

Comment

• MylesBAstor
            MylesBAstor commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm not a huge fan of the Siemens tubes. I always find them a little too lean, detailed and bright.

Originally posted by rbbert View Post
          There are a bunch of different Telefunken NOS tubes with a very wide range of prices. I've also read good things about the 1960's Siemens CCa's, although again they may be fairly expensive.
          Rob-I have a pair of the Siemens CCa tubes. I just need to put my hands on them. Send me a PM with your address and I will send them to you to try out and see if you like them. I do want them back though.

Comment

True that. This summary has been passed around many times on the web: https://www.tubemuseum.org/SearchResults.asp?Cat=36

I've rolled '60s Telefunkens, not the cca, Seimens from the same era, old Mullards and a few others. The cca is crazy money now. The Telefunken seemed more 3d than the Siemens, but these old tubes are like vintage wine, with unit to unit variations and prices to match.

Comment

To be brief I have tried just about all of them in this family, and in my gear what sounded the best was the Amperex Gold Pin 7308 JAN tubes!!!

Comment

Lots of choices dependant on your wallet. For current production that is not offensive try the ElectroHarmonix..pretty robust and microphonic free.

A cousin is the 6h23 russian tube similar to above but a little more rich in tone in my experience with the NOS ones.

Amperex tend to have a little body to them can be noisy -- although my fave here is the AMPEREX USN 7308 nice clean tube with body

Siemens many variants the 80s ones are ubiquitous but not as nice as earlier ones. .. still a really fine clean tube

Mullard richer and generally good with microphonics

JAN Phillips depends.. might be ok in your application otherwise not so much...

If you can find them, the Brimar E88cc are nice reasonably priced good performers -- becoming a rare find in NA.

Telefunkens if you can find them are nice and clean sounding too. very expensive.

Click image for larger version  Name:	6922.jpg Views:	1 Size:	158.7 KB ID:	52531
                Phono: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
                Brinkmann Balance & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas Lamda, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
                Amps: Custom Direct Drive, Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2. Bedini 25/25
                Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
                Speakers: Beveridge Model 3 Direct Drive amps, REL S/2 x 2, Quad ESL pair
                Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

I could yap all day about the 6DJ8 family. Started really collecting them when I had the CJ Premier 16 preamp which took six. Nowadays, as you know, the best ones are not getting any cheaper. Check the sidebar in my M1.2 Ref review for my experience rolling 7 different tubes in those amps. Happily they only take one each, but the sonic difference that one makes is fairly significant. Since that writeup I've also come to really like the Siemens varietals (NOS '65 grey shield is v. nice for not crazy money.) Haven't tried the CCA yet, not sure I'm ready to pay $500+ for a NOS pair (likely more.) but ya never know. ;-> Overall I tend to prefer the 7308s, but more recently have taken to buying 6922s simply because they're more available. Last pair I bought couple months ago were 60's Holland SQ 6922s - they've very good though not quite may favorite. Brendan at Tubeworld usually has a good selection - a bit pricey but for 20 years he's always been spot on. The really good info is at his original site here.

Comment

• Bill Hart
                    Bill Hart commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I roll one tube on the ML2- the 12Ax7. My pair is pretty early and it came from the previous owner with those green/red tipped Teles- the ones that were marked for medical use. When it came time to retube, I replaced them with NOS ribbed plated Teles, which I have replaced a few times over the course of ten years. I know that these small tubes are supposed to have a 10,000 hour life, but since they are "pulls" not truly NOS, I never know how many hours they have when I get them. Makes a big difference on the ML2 compared to the stock tube, which is, if memory serves, a Sovtek. That's the only tube I roll on the Lamm, the rest I get from the Vlad. I also like Brendan at Tubeworld--he is almost normal to talk to-- and he is very easy to do business with. I've been buying from him for a long time too.

Guest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The 12AX7 can get pricey as well. My CJ PV-8 takes a pair of them, but I haven't succumbed yet. I like that Vladimir tacitly endorses rolling his gear.

Thanks everyone.

Andy at Vintage Tube Services has quite a good rep with audiophiles. I did speak with him for a while once about some 6SN7 tunes, and was very gracious when we both agreed he didn't have quite what I was looking for and I
                  didn't purchase anything.
                  Tascam BR-20
                  Pass Labs INT60
                  Torus IS5

Comment

Guest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    He's easily the best source for 6SN7s, imo.

Thanks everyone.

Andy at Vintage Tube Services has quite a good rep with audiophiles. I did speak with him for a while once about some 6SN7 tunes, and was very gracious when we both agreed he didn't have quite what I was looking for and I
                  didn't purchase anything.
                  I bought tubes from Andy for a long time great guy and very knowledgeable, however I also buy tube from Brent Jesse and this is where I usually go...

Comment

I've also used Brent Jessie, he has a big inventory, but IMO he is much less knowledgable about audiophile wants and needs
                    Tascam BR-20
                    Pass Labs INT60
                    Torus IS5

Comment

• Bill Hart
                      Bill Hart commented
                      Editing a comment
                      My biggest hurdle with Brent Jessie is his website- it gives me a headache!
                  Working...
                  X