Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tube rolling 12AU7s- what your favorite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube rolling 12AU7s- what your favorite?

The past month or two has been mainly an exercise in tube rolling in the VTL 7.5 III preamp which uses a single pair of 12AU7s. I've methodically gone through many of the great NOS tubes that are out there: Telefunken's (mid 60's smooth plate, 1956 military long box plates, the revered 802s), Philips/Amperex (12AU7 Bugle Boys, 7316) Mullard (military CV4003, plain 12AU7, CV491 and last but my favorites of all, NOS Mullard long plate with "D" (or "square") getters from Blackburn circa late 50's (truly outstanding). It's amazing how different they all are. It's really like trying different preamps. Or more accurately, it's a system voicing exercise since there is no perfect tube of course. What sounds best in one system may not be everyone's cup of tea since system fit and compatibility is what will determine preference more than any "absolute" performance metric. What's your preference?

The smooth plate 60's Telefunkens. Last long too. My linestage uses a pair of 12AU7s.
    Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mono) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

I've gone through a bunch of them, head to head, and the best I've found, by far are ones labelled "Baldwin" which are actually RCA or Raytheon black plates I believe.

Comment

N/A
      Dr.Ears
      Last edited by Dr.Ears; 02-08-2018, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Yes, you hit the nail on the head. Tremendous amount of variation in sound. When my Altis DAC was in use, I used Sylvania 5814s. Warm and dimensional (probably a blessing then with early digital recordings) though I'm not sure the low end on them was up to snuff. I got some Teles to put in (as well as 7316s and a few others) but never used the DAC again so don't know how they worked. My problem with many tubes including the 12AU7 is that you never know--unless you know the code lingo--who actually made the tube.
      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
      -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
      -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
      -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

• JCOConnell
        JCOConnell
        Premier Club Member
        JCOConnell commented
        Editing a comment
        with vintage telefunkens, legitimate samples have a diamond embossed in the base glass.

• MylesBAstor
        MylesBAstor
        Administrator
        MylesBAstor commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes and if you go online a couple of tube dealers have the codes for different tube manufacturers.
    Working...
    X