No announcement yet.

Audio Rack Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allen I went and checked out the Kanso racks. Beautiful wood and craftmanship but not my favorite styling. I think it is time to clean out my basement woodworking shop.
    Marty

Comment

It is a particular design. I believe he does custom work, so if you have a different design in mind, Aaron would do it. But like most high end racks, they are not inexpensive.
      Kronos Sparta -> Trinity Phono -> Trinity Pre -> CH Precision A1 -> Magico S7s

Comment

Originally posted by allenh View Post
        It is a particular design. I believe he does custom work, so if you have a different design in mind, Aaron would do it. But like most high end racks, they are not inexpensive.

Good quality wood is not cheap nowadays. SRA is in part expensive because they start with a big piece of wood and throw 1/2 of it away.
        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
        -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
        -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
        -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
        -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
        -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
        -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
        -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
        -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
        -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

SRA is the rack I lust for. I like their Scuttle, double wide, open and spacious. Damn price keeps getting in the way though..

Comment

I like the design of the SRA racks better but still a little utilitarian for me. I have been a hobbyist woodworker since my childhood. Maybe I should start building racks for select forum members. I am sure I would be more reasonable in price.
            Marty

Comment

In Europe, Finite Elemente Pagode racks represent great value for money. They are technically excellent and have a very distinct look - their Pagode Signature range in solid wood and thick polished aluminum is gorgeous. I do not know, however, if their prices in US are competitive.
              My opinions rely on listening mainly to acoustical, non amplified music. I do not care about electronic music or listening to rock at stadium levels, but I enjoy Mahler and Shostakovitch.

Comment

Originally posted by microstrip View Post
                In Europe, Finite Elemente Pagode racks represent great value for money. They are technically excellent and have a very distinct look - their Pagode Signature range in solid wood and thick polished aluminum is gorgeous. I do not know, however, if their prices in US are competitive.

Ha! You took the words right out of my mouth. Had one of their early racks for review back in the late '90s.

Brian Ackerman is the US distributor now. USA
                Aaudio Imports
                Phone +1 720 851 2525
                Mail [email protected]
                Http www.aaudioimports.com

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
                -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Do anyone know who distributes Audiav racks in US?

Comment

Originally posted by 1morerecord2clean View Post
                    Myles, because I started with just the footers with Symposium and built from there adding platforms and eventually the rack that every layer on the cake increased performance greatly. I asked the same question you are asking before I bought the rack. The rack in the end made as much difference as all the footers and platforms combined IMO.

Just to play devil's advocate. Would you be better off investing more in the platform the table sits on rather than worrying as much as the rack?
                    [/QUOTE]

Is your Symposium a double wide rack?

Comment

Is your Symposium a double wide rack?

No. Double wide is available in the Isis, not the Osiris.
                      TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Harmonix-Combak platter matte & weight; Arcam R Phono Preamp; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.

Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer

VTL 6.5 preamp Series II
                      Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

Piega C711 Loudspeakers

Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls

Acoustic Revive RR-888 Low Frequency Pulse Generator

Shunyata Hydra 8; Shunyata AC Cords; Synergistic Research Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cord, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates & Blue Outlets, Furutech NCF Booster Brace, Audio Art Ref balanced ICs, MIT Oracle IC and Magnum Speaker Cables

Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD800s Headphones.

Comment

Mark did you break bad and order an SRA rack? The more I look at them the more I want one. I am really liking their isolation philosophy.

Originally posted by mep View Post
                        Ki-I'm in the market for a new rack too. I need a wide "low boy" rack.
                        Marty

Comment

Originally posted by nc42acc View Post
                          Mark did you break bad and order an SRA rack? The more I look at them the more I want one. I am really liking their isolation philosophy.
                          ​Marty-Yes, I ordered the SRA Scuttle rack. I'm hoping it ships by the end of February. This is going to be very interesting to say the least. The rack comes in a wooden shipping crate and the shipping weight is 450 lbs. I assume the truck with the lift gate will probably drop it off at the foot of my driveway and I have to figure out how to get it into my garage so I can open the crate and carry the shelves and the rack into my room.

I currently have a rack from Audio Vault in my system for review. It is a small 3 shelf rack and retails for just under $1300. I know I shouldn't be, but frankly I was astonished at how much better my system sounds since the Ref 6 is sitting on that rack. My R2R is on the special top shelf, Ref 6 on the middle shelf, and the new power supply for my SP-10 sits on the bottom shelf. The rack I was using was a cheap Sanus rack. I have been so preoccupied with upgrading other parts of my system, I forgot how important a rack actually is. You really have to think of a rack in terms of being another component in your system and not try to go cheap which is what I did for way too many years.

I'm excited about receiving the Scuttle rack and I will have a chance to reconfigure my component lay out on the new rack and hopefully optimize my setup and take it to another level. My SP-10 MKII will be moving to the top shelf of the Scuttle from the VPI TNT rack where it now resides. My R2R will move over to the VPI TNT rack which will have to come out from the wall by at least another 6" from where it currently sits in order to have clearance for the depth of the R2R. My whole setup should not only look much better, it should sound better as a result of all of the technology built into the Scuttle. The SRA racks are guaranteed for life so you probably need to put it in your will if you have a deserving relative.
                          Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Originally posted by nc42acc View Post

You have to understand that SRA is an offshoot of Kevin's parent company. His main company is involved in making sure our subs aren't detected up by enemy subs. The products and technologies developed for the military are translated into consumer products. The OHIO class (hint, hint) platform under my table makes a huge difference. And the newest platforms are interchangeable between components meaning you can send it bank to SRA and have it modded for each component. Of course, the product still has to fit on the platform. I really think that a one size fits all approach rarely works in anything in life (like nutrition for instance) and it doesn't for audio either. Each platform is tuned for the weight and size of the individual component. So is the basic rack that is tuned for the total weight of the components that will rest in their new home.

But I know someone who is using the new Symposium Quantum platform that is very happy too!

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post

​Marty-Yes, I ordered the SRA Scuttle rack. I'm hoping it ships by the end of February. This is going to be very interesting to say the least. The rack comes in a wooden shipping crate and the shipping weight is 450 lbs. I assume the truck with the lift gate will probably drop it off at the foot of my driveway and I have to figure out how to get it into my garage so I can open the crate and carry the shelves and the rack into my room.

I currently have a rack from Audio Vault in my system for review. It is a small 3 shelf rack and retails for just under $1300. I know I shouldn't be, but frankly I was astonished at how much better my system sounds since the Ref 6 is sitting on that rack. My R2R is on the special top shelf, Ref 6 on the middle shelf, and the new power supply for my SP-10 sits on the bottom shelf. The rack I was using was a cheap Sanus rack. I have been so preoccupied with upgrading other parts of my system, I forgot how important a rack actually is. You really have to think of a rack in terms of being another component in your system and not try to go cheap which is what I did for way too many years.

I'm excited about receiving the Scuttle rack and I will have a chance to reconfigure my component lay out on the new rack and hopefully optimize my setup and take it to another level. My SP-10 MKII will be moving to the top shelf of the Scuttle from the VPI TNT rack where it now resides. My R2R will move over to the VPI TNT rack which will have to come out from the wall by at least another 6" from where it currently sits in order to have clearance for the depth of the R2R. My whole setup should not only look much better, it should sound better as a result of all of the technology built into the Scuttle. The SRA racks are guaranteed for life so you probably need to put it in your will if you have a deserving relative.

It's not as bad as it seems. The shelves are the main weight and come separate from the Scuttle. I assume the Scuttle comes assembled; thus it's a two person affair to move but the rack per se is not that heavy. Just be careful not to damage the rack's finish! The shelves are heavier but are manageable. (a little dolly certainly helps to move the shelves.) IIRC, you place the rack in its final resting place, put the corner pieces in place with the isolation pads in place and then place the shelves on the rack. Not as hard as it seems. Or I guess in your case getting the rack downstairs?

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Yes, the rack has to go downstairs. There will be some changing and rearranging for sure.
                                Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Working...
                                X