Audio Rack Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

You have to understand that SRA is an offshoot of Kevin's parent company. His main company is involved in making sure our subs aren't detected up by enemy subs. The products and technologies developed for the military are translated into consumer products. The OHIO class (hint, hint) platform under my table makes a huge difference. And the newest platforms are interchangeable between components meaning you can send it bank to SRA and have it modded for each component. Of course, the product still has to fit on the platform. I really think that a one size fits all approach rarely works in anything in life (like nutrition for instance) and it doesn't for audio either. Each platform is tuned for the weight and size of the individual component. So is the basic rack that is tuned for the total weight of the components that will rest in their new home.

But I know someone who is using the new Symposium Quantum platform that is very happy too!
    Peter B of Symposium makes a number of different platforms for different components, weights, and purposes in addition to his racks. The Quantum is his most specific purpose platform for a TT.
    TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Harmonix-Combak platter matte & weight; Arcam R Phono Preamp; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.

Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer

VTL 6.5 preamp Series II
    Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

Piega C711 Loudspeakers

Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls

Acoustic Revive RR-888 Low Frequency Pulse Generator

Shunyata Hydra 8; Shunyata AC Cords; Synergistic Research Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cord, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates & Blue Outlets, Furutech NCF Booster Brace, Audio Art Ref balanced ICs, MIT Oracle IC and Magnum Speaker Cables

Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD800s Headphones.

Comment

I really think tailoring the platform to the equipment is the way to go as Symposium, SRA, HRS and Critical Mass Systems do. Even as people with the active air tables do to. I'm not sure if it's Ack or Peter A. that uses weight added to their Herzan. MikeL and Christian also use the air tables to great results.
      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
      -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
      -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
      -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

CMS for me. Since I have gear that rotate every couple of months or so I like that they have a wide usable range for total weight as well as weight distribution. The modularity is also very helpful. For customers, I've helped save them some money by spec'ing the wood shelves instead of the expensive filter platforms for non-critical items such as TT speed control boxes. The modularity also allows them to be shipped in smaller pallets. That's a huge deal if you are half a world away. Sonically, It was a tough choice between CMS and SRA for me since both work really, really well. Kevin is a great guy to boot. I met him in '08 in Las Vegas where he provided lamm with the racks for the ML3 sneak peak. In any case, these factors ultimately led to my choosing CMS.

Comment

Originally posted by JackD201 View Post
          CMS for me. Since I have gear that rotate every couple of months or so I like that they have a wide usable range for total weight as well as weight distribution. The modularity is also very helpful. For customers, I've helped save them some money by spec'ing the wood shelves instead of the expensive filter platforms for non-critical items such as TT speed control boxes. The modularity also allows them to be shipped in smaller pallets. That's a huge deal if you are half a world away. Sonically, It was a tough choice between CMS and SRA for me since both work really, really well. Kevin is a great guy to boot. I met him in '08 in Las Vegas where he provided lamm with the racks for the ML3 sneak peak. In any case, these factors ultimately led to my choosing CMS.

Yeah the LAMM amps looked real purty sitting on Kevin's platforms.

It's near impossible to do but I would love to compare my table sitting on a Herzan vs. the SRA OHIO Class XL+2 tables.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
          -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
          -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
          -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
          -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post

​Marty-Yes, I ordered the SRA Scuttle rack. I'm hoping it ships by the end of February. This is going to be very interesting to say the least. The rack comes in a wooden shipping crate and the shipping weight is 450 lbs. I assume the truck with the lift gate will probably drop it off at the foot of my driveway and I have to figure out how to get it into my garage so I can open the crate and carry the shelves and the rack into my room.

I currently have a rack from Audio Vault in my system for review. It is a small 3 shelf rack and retails for just under $1300. I know I shouldn't be, but frankly I was astonished at how much better my system sounds since the Ref 6 is sitting on that rack. My R2R is on the special top shelf, Ref 6 on the middle shelf, and the new power supply for my SP-10 sits on the bottom shelf. The rack I was using was a cheap Sanus rack. I have been so preoccupied with upgrading other parts of my system, I forgot how important a rack actually is. You really have to think of a rack in terms of being another component in your system and not try to go cheap which is what I did for way too many years.

I'm excited about receiving the Scuttle rack and I will have a chance to reconfigure my component lay out on the new rack and hopefully optimize my setup and take it to another level. My SP-10 MKII will be moving to the top shelf of the Scuttle from the VPI TNT rack where it now resides. My R2R will move over to the VPI TNT rack which will have to come out from the wall by at least another 6" from where it currently sits in order to have clearance for the depth of the R2R. My whole setup should not only look much better, it should sound better as a result of all of the technology built into the Scuttle. The SRA racks are guaranteed for life so you probably need to put it in your will if you have a deserving relative.
            Congratulations. I have a 3-shelf wide Scuttle and love it. It replaced a Sanus. Thinking about getting a matching single width. I prefer wood and the Craz is the most beautifully functional rack I know, but the veneered Scuttle has its own elegance.

The rack itself is not that heavy though I needed help getting it downstairs. Once there I could put one end on a small dolly, lift the other and move it easily within my room. The wood crate takes some storage room; I filled mine with other boxes.

Even with the Scuttle, I'd like more isolation under my turntable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Scuttle_in_Crate_P1000579_s.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	4913

my review here

Comment

I've never tried them myself, but I know several people who have a lot of good things to say about Box Furniture Company racks, including Art Dudley and I believe John DeVore.
              http://www.boxfurnitureco.com/
              Steve Lefkowicz
              Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
              -
              Analog: Linn LP12 (MOSE/Hercules II), Ittok, Dynavector 19a, iPhono2; Pro-Ject RPM-1 Carbon, Sumiko Pearl, iFi iPhono.
              Digital: Samsung 300E5C notebook, JRiver Media Center 26, Tidal HiFi and Qobuz Studio), iFi iDAC2, iFi iUSB3, iPurifier2.
              Electronics: Burson Conductor Virtuoso, DIY switch-box with TKD 10K pot, Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso, Jolida JD1000P, B&K ST140.
              Speakers: Tekton Double Impact, Tekton Lore, Magneplaner .7, ELAC Debut2 B6.2, Debut F5 and Debut B6, Emotiva Airmotiv B1, Sound Dynamics 300ti.
              Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA1, Vermouth Audio Black Pearl, Nordost Solar Wind, Audioquest Evergreen
              Speaker cables: Morrow Audio SP4, Vermouth Audio Red Velvet, Nordost Solar Wind, Nordost Flatline, Audioquest Q2.
              Digital cables: Straightwire USB Link, Aural Symphonics Digital Standard xxv USB, Belkin PureAV.
              Accessories: Sound Organization turntable shelf, Mondo racks, Pangea Audio Vulcan racks, Pi Audio Group Über BUSS, Monster HTS2000 power conditioner, Sound Organization speaker stands, Pangea Audio speaker stands, Kinetronics anti-static brush, Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaner, Spin Clean record cleaner.
              Headphones: Schiit Valhalla amp, Meze Audio 99 Classic and 99 Neo, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, 1More MK801, 1More Triple Driver IEM

http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

Originally posted by tima View Post

Congratulations. I have a 3-shelf wide Scuttle and love it. It replaced a Sanus. Thinking about getting a matching single width. I prefer wood and the Craz is the most beautifully functional rack I know, but the veneered Scuttle has its own elegance.

The rack itself is not that heavy though I needed help getting it downstairs. Once there I could put one end on a small dolly, lift the other and move it easily within my room. The wood crate takes some storage room; I filled mine with other boxes.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n4913[/ATTACH]

my review here

How wide is your Scuttle? And thanks for the picture of it still in the crate.
                Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

my review here

Also, I did read your review and enjoyed it very much.
                  Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

my review here
                    Like any rack, the use of a platform will provide additional benefit. At least in my system. Of course here the turntable and the cj GAT preamplifier. Much lower noise floor and better dynamics. Doubt it's the tubes because the GAT only has two tubes.

But I remember years ago Dave Wilson talking about how solid-state electronics and speaker xovers really benefited from additional isolation. I know that many years ago the JRDG amps certainly benefitted from additional isolation when I had them for review. And is it Ack or Peter A that uses vibraplanes under their PASS amplifiers?

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Like any rack, the use of a platform will provide additional benefit. At least in my system. Of course here the turntable and the cj GAT preamplifier. Much lower noise floor and better dynamics. Doubt it's the tubes because the GAT only has two tubes.

But I remember years ago Dave Wilson talking about how solid-state electronics and speaker xovers really benefited from additional isolation. I know that many years ago the JRDG amps certainly benefitted from additional isolation when I had them for review. And is it Ack or Peter A that uses vibraplanes under their PASS amplifiers?
                      It's been quite a few years since I played with platforms under my equipment but back in the early 2000s I did some experimentation. I ended up really liking the effect of BDR (Black Diamond Racing) cones and shelves in my system. And they worked well under turntables as well as preamps and DACs - both solid state and tube. I don't hear much about BDR anymore. Are they still around? Are newer platforms better or just different? I've still got 3 of the BDR shelves and lots of #3 and #4 cones.
                      ---Gary
                      Analog: Scheu + Immedia RPM tonearm + Koetsu Black + Pass Xono or Threshold FET 10pe
                      Amps: First Watt F7, HK Citation II
                      Pre-Amps: CJ Premier 14, Threshold FET 10e, DIY 417a with output transformer
                      Speakers: Horning Eufrodite, Reference 3A mm de capo
                      Tuners: Sansui TU9900, McIntosh MR78
                      Digital: i7 Server (Roon) + SSD, Sonore urendu + Mutec MC3+ USB + Berkeley Alpha Dac, Audiomeca Mephisto
                      Power: Audience AR12, Torus Tot, DIY filters

Comment

DJ sadly passed away a number of years ago: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/jso...?pid=155509004

I think this is the new company: http://www.bdrsound.com/Home_Page.html

I don't see the record clamp that many like listed on the site anymore.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post

How wide is your Scuttle? And thanks for the picture of it still in the crate.
                          j
                          Top shelf is approximately: 47.5 x 22.5"
                          Shelves 2 & 3: 42.5 X 22.5

Thanks for review comments. The most recent version should be arriving soon for a brief write up.
                          I have other pics if you're interested.

Comment

k
                            Would you still buy the SRA OHIO Class XL for your 'table?

Comment

Would you still buy the SRA OHIO Class XL for your 'table?
                              Yes, I am very happy with the sound and especially the looks. Make a wonderful combo with the Classic Direct. But I am always interesting in fulfilling my curiosity, experimenting and listening myself. That said, I did discuss the pros and cons of air isolation vs the SRA platforms (for the record he makes both, just no the air for audio) and it seemed the Ohio class was the better route. If nothing else, it is a little cheaper too.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

DJ sadly passed away a number of years ago[/URL]
                                I remember meeting DJ at the Stereophile show at the Waldorf Astoria in 1996. That was when BDR was just entering the market and he had to work hard to convince people to try his products. He offered up a mixed lot of #3 and #4 cones at an attractive price that was reasonably affordable. Once I got them home and tried them, I was hooked and ended up buying lots of them and told all my friends about them too. Very effective for tuning the sound of one's system.
                                ---Gary
                                Analog: Scheu + Immedia RPM tonearm + Koetsu Black + Pass Xono or Threshold FET 10pe
                                Amps: First Watt F7, HK Citation II
                                Pre-Amps: CJ Premier 14, Threshold FET 10e, DIY 417a with output transformer
                                Speakers: Horning Eufrodite, Reference 3A mm de capo
                                Tuners: Sansui TU9900, McIntosh MR78
                                Digital: i7 Server (Roon) + SSD, Sonore urendu + Mutec MC3+ USB + Berkeley Alpha Dac, Audiomeca Mephisto
                                Power: Audience AR12, Torus Tot, DIY filters

Comment

Working...
                                X