My new LP display bin and storage shelf design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new LP display bin and storage shelf design

I have been working on a new LP display bin and storage shelf design for quite a while now. The objective was to come up with a storage unit that was modular and had a minimum depth to fit into my small dedicated music rooms. I also wanted the top shelf with flip type storage bins like at the record store and conventional shelf storage below. This is my 5 Bin design at my plastic fabricator ready for transport to my listening room.

Click image for larger version

Name:	KOSMIC 5 BIN LP STORAGE.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	603.4 KB
ID:	56687

I should have it installed tomorrow and will post pictures then. I also plan to store my tapes on the second shelf.

This is a commercial product, but so expensive, I probably won't sell any. It's all acrylic, and I could make any part/panel any color that I want (assuming it's available). The black side panels and clear acrylic matches my LP display shelves, equipment racks, loudspeakers and equipment.

If this works out well in my room, I plan to make two additional 2 Bin units.
    Speakers/Amps: Genesis G2.2 Jr with Powered Servo-Sub Bass, Genesis GR1440 Mono Amps, 5,000 watts total power
    Preamp: SMc Audio VRE-1C Preamp (fully balanced inputs and output)
    Analog 1: VPI Signature 21 Belt-Drive Turntable w/ 10” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Windfeld Ti Phono Cartridge driving Lehmann Silver Cube Phono Preamp
    Analog 2: VPI HW-40 Direct-Drive Turntable w/ 12” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Anna Diamond Phono Cartridge driving Genesis Gold Phono Preamp
    Analog 3: Studer A810 R2R tape w/ Bridge Console. Using built-in tape preamp
    Digital: Lumin Network Player with Lumin NAS
    Cables: Genesis Advanced Technologies/Absolute Fidelity Interface Interconnects, Speaker, Phono and Power
    A/C Power: Extensive System Upgrades, Sub-panel w/hard-wired power cables, and IsoTek Super Titan Passive Power Conditioning for Amplifiers
    Accessories: Custom Acrylic Equipment Stands, Klaudio Ultrasonic RCM

That looks great Joe, interesting solution and very well executed, do post photo's in situ when you are ready.. Just get some anti static cleaner!
    https://zaxisaudio.com/

Comment

Luv it.

Comment

how much is that Joe? looks great.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Pittman View Post
          I have been working on a new LP display bin and storage shelf design for quite a while now. The objective was to come up with a storage unit that was modular and had a minimum depth to fit into my small dedicated music rooms. I also wanted the top shelf with flip type storage bins like at the record store and conventional shelf storage below. This is my 5 Bin design at my plastic fabricator ready for transport to my listening room.

I should have it installed tomorrow and will post pictures then. I also plan to store my tapes on the second shelf.

This is a commercial product, but so expensive, I probably won't sell any. It's all acrylic, and I could make any part/panel any color that I want (assuming it's available). The black side panels and clear acrylic matches my LP display shelves, equipment racks, loudspeakers and equipment.

Great design.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	KOSMIC 5 BIN LP STORAGE.jpg Views:	1 Size:	603.4 KB ID:	56687

I love it . Especially, the flip through option on top.

I built my own as well earlier this year from steel , maple and walnut

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2013.JPG Views:	2 Size:	92.5 KB ID:	56717

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2033.JPG Views:	1 Size:	98.8 KB ID:	56718
            Last edited by kcin; 06-15-2017, 09:24 PM.
            Phono: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
            Brinkmann Balance & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas Lamda, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
            Amps: Custom Direct Drive, Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2. Bedini 25/25
            Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
            Speakers: Beveridge Model 3 Direct Drive amps, REL S/2 x 2, Quad ESL pair
            Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

Wow, just wow! Great job guys!

Comment

Pure awesomeness Joe! How much product will it be able to display?
                Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

• Joe Pittman
                  Joe Pittman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Each bin is 13" wide by 13" deep, so they are as compact as I could make them. I plan to use them on the sides of my rooms, so they will also provide acoustic diffusion. The picture of them in my room will provide more context.

How strong is it?
                Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

• Joe Pittman
                  Joe Pittman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I designed the rack to have the capacity to be fully loaded with LP's but keep the material sizing within reason. I also sized the parts to provide a reasonable amount of stability and stiffness so as not to be flimsy. I need to test/operate it in my room under actual load before rating it's capacity in pounds per shelf. I am working with a plastics company specializing in the manufacture of plastic displays for commercial installation. The rack is assembled with machine screws so all of the holes are drilled and tapped, making it easy to ship KD (knocked down) and flat packed ala Ikea (but not Ikea pricing).

Unit finally installed.

Name:	5 Bin Unit Installed.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	500.4 KB
ID:	56840

Name:	5 Bin Unit Installed - Front View.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	485.0 KB
ID:	56841
                Speakers/Amps: Genesis G2.2 Jr with Powered Servo-Sub Bass, Genesis GR1440 Mono Amps, 5,000 watts total power
                Analog 1: VPI Signature 21 Belt-Drive Turntable w/ 10” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Windfeld Ti Phono Cartridge driving Lehmann Silver Cube Phono Preamp
                Analog 2: VPI HW-40 Direct-Drive Turntable w/ 12” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Anna Diamond Phono Cartridge driving Genesis Gold Phono Preamp
                Cables: Genesis Advanced Technologies/Absolute Fidelity Interface Interconnects, Speaker, Phono and Power
                A/C Power: Extensive System Upgrades, Sub-panel w/hard-wired power cables, and IsoTek Super Titan Passive Power Conditioning for Amplifiers

Comment

The unit is ready to go.

Name:	5 Bin Unit Installed And Loaded.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	531.4 KB
ID:	56843

Name:	5 Bin Unit Installed And Loaded - Side View.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	533.4 KB
ID:	56844

Comment

• Metamatic
                    Metamatic commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I would love the top shelves to go on top of my 2 high Ikea shelves. That would be cool.

• MylesBAstor
                    MylesBAstor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Been busy buying Chad's tapes I see!

very nice options for viewing and storing vinyl here.

Ikea units for my just bought recent spinning in the music room.

Then I have the real storage units for storing the majority of vinyl I own in another room - strict alphabetical order. My custom design that my Uncle made has space for around 20-25 records with dividers around 90% the height of a record. Final one delivered as he is retired.This enables very easy access to flick through you records.
                  Pic below half filled - not crooked, just my photo .

Comment

EXCELLENT.

Thanks for sharing.
                    Hugh Nguyen
                    ACA

Comment

Working...
                    X