Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
    -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

I stumbled upon the following URL for Master Tape Sound Labs:

http://www.mastertapesoundlab.com/Ma...Catalogue.html

Your initial entry in this thread shows "Master Tape Sound" but directs you to the UHA (United Home Audio) website. However, I couldn't find this info when I went searching on UHA's site.
      Speakers: Rockport Avior
      Amp: Ypsilon Aelius Mk II Silver Edition
      Preamp: Pass Labs XS
      Phono preamp: Ypsilon VPS-100, Slagle Silver SUTs
      Phono: Continuum Criterion, Kuzma 4-Point, Lyra Etna SL (and others)
      Digital: LauferTeknik Memory Player, dCS Scarlatti DAC
      Tape: Studer A80 RC, King/Cello preamp

Comment

Originally posted by squasher View Post
        I stumbled upon the following URL for Master Tape Sound Labs:

http://www.mastertapesoundlab.com/Ma...Catalogue.html

Your initial entry in this thread shows "Master Tape Sound" but directs you to the UHA (United Home Audio) website. However, I couldn't find this info when I went searching on UHA's site.
        Seems Greg deleted the link.

Here's the companies link:

http://mastertapesoundlab.com/Master...b/Welcome.html

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
        -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
        -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
        -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
        -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Anyone heard the tapes fro STS digital ? Good ?

Comment

• wimdoo
            wimdoo commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi, STS Digital CD's are very good but there tapes could be better; i.e. in my opinion not to the standard of former Horch House.

• MylesBAstor
            MylesBAstor commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks and welcome to the board! 🍻

Sure like to know what became of Volker.

Gearbox records now offers music on r2r

https://gearboxrecords.wazala.com/ca...ranscriptions/
          Magnepan 1.7i, VMPS Large Sub, Belden 5000 Speaker Cable, Rogue Audio Sphinx Integrated Amplifier, Adcom GFA 555 II Amplifier, QED passive pre-amp, Celtic Dragon & Grover EX+ Interconnects, Crown SX 722 R/R, Nakamichi RX 202 Cassette Deck, Fosgate Signature Phono Preamplifier, Clearaudio Solution Turntable, Clearaudio Satisfy Tone Arm, Clearaudio Concerto V2 Cartridge, Clearaudio Smart Syncro, Belkin AP41300 Power Conditioner/Surge Protector, Transparent Power Cables

Comment

Originally posted by audioblazer View Post
            I have a few from them. They are OK but not in the top league. I find the IPI, OPUS 3, Fone, Yarlung and Open Reel Records tapes much better.

Comment

• Dave Denyer
              Dave Denyer commented
              Editing a comment
              I'd mirror this comment: I have a few STS tapes and yes, they are good, but Opus 3 and Open Reel Records are in a different league. I don't yet have any Yarlung, IPI, or Fonè (although I've ordered Scheherazade from Fonè, which I'll be collecting at HighEnd 2018 n Munich next week).

• MylesBAstor
              MylesBAstor commented
              Editing a comment
              I returned the one STS I bought last fall. Wasn’t going to pay good money to find out if the other titles were better.

Originally posted by audioblazer View Post
            I have a 7-1/2 ips STS sampler tape someone brought back for me from Munich. Didn’t impress me.

Charlie King heard one STS tape at RMAF that he ended up buying. Perhaps he can add his comments. (I tried hearing it but the guy jerked me around and after waiting for 20 mins for him to stop his ego tripping, I left.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Is there a market for newly made/composed music in the R2R format? I’m an experimental/classical musician and also work with analog synthesizers and have the capability to release limited runs of 2 track, 15ips CCIR or NAB on 7” reels. I’m thinking record direct to the master, live, and then duplicate 10 numbered reels for sale. This would be newly created music, not licensed stuff. Anyone have thoughts on that and how to reach the people who would want to buy this? Also would my format (2 track, 15ips) work or is there something else that’s better for everyone? Thanks for helping a newcomer out with your feedback on this idea.

Comment

Has anyone ordered from the Rhapsody Tape catalog? https://www.rhapsodyanalogrecordings...-tape-catalog/
              Carmen Gomes etc.
              McIntosh MC501x2,McIntosh c2200, Innersound Eros,Von Schweikert VR4 HSE,VPI Scoutmaster w/Grado Sonata,
              Lehmann Audio Black Cube SE,Sony APR 5003,Revox B77,
              Revox B760 McIntosh MR74

Comment

Originally posted by russe41 View Post
                Has anyone ordered from the Rhapsody Tape catalog? https://www.rhapsodyanalogrecordings...-tape-catalog/
                Carmen Gomes etc.
                I had communicated with Harry last fall. (He was formerly with Turtle Records and owns a high-end Støre too). Release of the first tape was imminent but never heard back from him. Seems two tapes are now available.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

"Yes, you hit on something--those tapes sent to mastering houses for LP production. I've not had good experiences with them. Many times, the record labels would send these tapes pre-EQ'd so the mastering engineer didn't have to do anything. These tapes often have little or no bass and are bright sounding. That's why I often stay away from those underground sellers whose source are these mastering house tapes. "
                  You know, Myles, I actually haven't seen very many examples of this practice. Perhaps I have been lucky and acquired analog distribution masters primarily for cassette, cd and tape dubbing. Of the 600 or so that I have seen with proper sheets, there have been only a handful with indications that they have been pre equalized for lp with a bass roll off or for cassette with the low pass 15KHz and above roll off that Dolby recommended. I do have quite a few (especially from JVC's Aubort or Gastwirt) where there is an indication what EQ SHOULD BE made on transfer to the lathe. The practice up to at least 1983 appears to have been to allow the lathe operator to select the proper rolloff standard for whatever plant was to make the final pressings.

Comment

An open appeal to those in charge of what gets distributed on open reel...

I'm an old school dinosaur who grew up recording all my new LP's to open reel tape for home or to cassette for the car, and still do. From then to now when recording Lp's to open reel, the recording somehow sounds(ed) and still does sound better to my ears. I currently own 27 open reel decks, and have personally restored/modified several of the typical 2 track machines being discussed here, notably the Technics RS1500, Otari MX5050/MTR12, and Studer PR99, as well as some of the better 4 track machines, Teac X1000R, Pioneer RT 909, A3300S/A3340S. I had John French at JRF magnetics set up 4 track record/play head stacks for the Otari's, Studer, and Technics machines. However to my mind, what was always missing were audiophile quality software titles to play on the 2 track machines. Specifically, I want to see on tape what is considered popular music, 60's folk, rock, psychedelica, 70's pop, rock, hard rock, acid rock, 80's pop, rock, progressive, so-called glam and hair bands, as well as Rock, Pop and grunge from the 90's and very early 2000's.

Many of these titles sound great on LP, but some not so much. I know they all must sound better on open reel multiple generations closer to the master. Why aren't we seeing/hearing more of these titles being sold for open reel? I'm not a huge classical music fan, I do like the more popular stuff, Holst, Wagner, Beethoven, etc, but I want to buy is the popular music described above, and not just the hits, but the more obscure as well. I am not ashamed to say I'd pay 400-500$ for a single (proper) second generation 15ips copy of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours, just to hear it as it was supposed to sound. Same goes for hundreds if not thousands of other popular titles. Do those producing open reel tape today have any idea how much money they would make making these titles available, even for the smallish core group of analog tape addicts like myself? 500$ for 15ips 2 track double tape of a single release MUST be a greater percentage of profit to pay the artist and corporate owners compared to a dozen sales of the same title on I-Tunes ?

Record companies today can't still be hung up on the fear of releasing master copies for home consumption, with digital media illegal transfers and streaming running rampant? Napster let the bootleg/illegal copy and reproduction or distribution genie out of the bottle in the mid-90's once computers equipped with optical drives and software were sold to consumers. Those computers were designed to rip CD's or record analog music, convert it to digital file format, distribute music files on the 'net between users,.. many times faster than old school copying from tape to tape in real time 1:1. This would not be a problem, simply because people are too lazy to do this today, not to mention everyone doesn't own a professional 2 track open reel. For them it will always be far easier just to use the CD or high res file to make/ circulate/ sell illegal copies for profit.

Owning multiple tape machines and a first class system (to my ears anyway, and that is what matters) I want to be able to hear it sound the best is can, with the best quality titles that I like, not just the smattering of stuff we've seen released to tape over the last decade or so. Just because classical isn't necessarily my cup of tea, or someone else's, that shouldn't mean titles we want to hear on tape are not available to purchase. I am aware there are snobs in this hobby that feel playing popular, progressive, Rock, etc., type music on a megabuck system via reel to reel is sacrilege and a waste of good gear. To be able to hear master level analog titles such as Stevie Wonder "Talking Book", any of Buffalo Springfield's 3 studio albums, Led Zeppelin I, II, IV, Pink Floyds "Dark Side of the Moon / Wish You Were Here/Animals/The Wall", Dire Straits "Self Titled / Bros. In Arms", The Police "Synchronicity / Ghost In the Machine", Bon Jovi', Slippery When Wet/ New Jersey, Guns and Roses " Use Your Illusion 1 & 2", or Nirvana "Nevermind" There are hundreds if not thousands of titles that would sell quickly to folks like us who want to hear the best recording available even if its from a third generation copy, or sourced from a flat transfer to high resolution digital file format first. I make my own "master" open reel 2 track 1/2" recordings, using SACDs, or commercially available High Resolution files anyone can purchase from HD Tracks. I prefer the sound of .wav file format files, or 24/96 or better, not compressed flac, aiff or alac. Yes, these sources do make excellent homemade 'master' tapes, but they still aren't the real thing no matter how good they sound. Furthermore, the purveyors of these high resolution files typically refuse to state the exact lineage or source of the files they used for transfer. So you have no idea how close what you are hearing is to the master tapes or how much it has been altered.

Perhaps these aren't titles serious 'Audiophiles' typically listen to. I consider myself an Audiophile, these titles are just the tip of the iceberg for me. I own several of the latest 45 rpm LP reissues including, Peter Gabriel, Fleetwood Mac's"Rumors" and am still waiting for Dire Straits catalog to be released on 45RPM LP. I know how much better these sound compared to their 33 1/3 cousins. I also know the masters HAVE to be a audible step above still, them in areas of dynamics, resolution, clarity, detail and texture. So much is sacrificed getting music to vinyl via the RIAA curve and cutting limitations. Even if only a fraction of the pop and rock titles ever see a quality open reel tape release, it would be worth the price of admission to own them.

Others such as myself also own the decks and associated audio gear, what we need now are tapes hear and to wring every last drop of performance from on our audio rigs.. Someone tell me there is some distribution deal in the pipeline. There are only 3 players today who own the bulk of the music catalogs, Surely Chad Kassem can acquire the same popular stuff and record to 2 track tape the same time he creates his Lp releases?....

Comment

• astrotoy
                      astrotoy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I have a fair number of the albums you mention in your post (on 15ips 2 track). PM me if you want to talk about this. Larry

Originally posted by Harold_Tichenor View Post

You know, Myles, I actually haven't seen very many examples of this practice. Perhaps I have been lucky and acquired analog distribution masters primarily for cassette, cd and tape dubbing. Of the 600 or so that I have seen with proper sheets, there have been only a handful with indications that they have been pre equalized for lp with a bass roll off or for cassette with the low pass 15KHz and above roll off that Dolby recommended. I do have quite a few (especially from JVC's Aubort or Gastwirt) where there is an indication what EQ SHOULD BE made on transfer to the lathe. The practice up to at least 1983 appears to have been to allow the lathe operator to select the proper rolloff standard for whatever plant was to make the final pressings.
                    FYI the Classic Records/Bernie Grundman tapes used for mastering LPs were pre-EQ'd. You can see that on the tapes for sale on eBay. I have a Merc tape here that I bought years ago that is pre-Eq'd.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

I have quite a few original record company production masters (Jugoton, CBS etc) - eg Beatles - Revolver; Dusty in Memphis; Lou Reed - Transformer; Miles - Sketches in Spain; Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy etc, as well as copies of many more production masters - eg Floyd DSOTM, The Wall, Michael Jackson Thriller, Bowie Ziggy Stardust. These are all Pre-EQ and sound fabulous.

I always perform a zero level transfer onto new tape stock RTM SM900 or LPR90. The repro azimuth is always checked and the repro machine levels set up with the line up tones at the head of the master tape. The transfer is done with Dolby SR (Dolby 363 with CAT300 modules) at 15 IPS. I have also started to archive these digitally with a zero level transfer using a Prism Sound Lyra 2 interface. The "master" is then stored, and I play the copy as much as I like.

Comment

• TheBoogeyDown
                        TheBoogeyDown commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'm sure a lot of folks here would love to be able to get copies like that, present company included. Lucky you.

TheBoogeyDown - you might want to try contacting Leslie Brooks via his website https://analogaudioinc.com/
                      TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
                      VINYL: Pioneer PL-50LII/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
                      DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, MacMini > Oppo Sonica/Pioneer N-50
                      SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9
                      AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

Working...
                      X