This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by topoxforddoc View Post
    I have quite a few original record company production masters (Jugoton, CBS etc) - eg Beatles - Revolver; Dusty in Memphis; Lou Reed - Transformer; Miles - Sketches in Spain; Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy etc, as well as copies of many more production masters - eg Floyd DSOTM, The Wall, Michael Jackson Thriller, Bowie Ziggy Stardust. These are all Pre-EQ and sound fabulous.

Just a question topoxforddod when you say "Pre-EQ" do you mean the tapes have already been eq'ed for transfer to the lathe, or do you mean the tape is a copy of the master and will need to have an eq applied when the lp is cut? If the tape already had the eq incorporated is it possible to see the studio sheet that indicated that?

Myles, I'd also ask the same thing. Out of curiosity I'd love to see the sheet on the Merc you mentioned that indicated the EQ had already been done. As I have very rarely seen this seeing the terminology used on the studio sheets to indicate this would be super helpful. Thanks, Harold

Comment

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      Let me see if I can find it. The tape is buried somewhere. Remember the Columbia Record club/Mercury LP releases were re-Eq’d and among other things the bass was rolled off. This tape might have been what Columbia used.

Harold

My tapes are copies of the “master” and are flat zero level transfers without any Eq applied. The cutting engineer at each pressing plant applied EQ at the time of cutting the local lacquer

Charlie

Comment

Originally posted by topoxforddoc View Post
      Harold

My tapes are copies of the “master” and are flat zero level transfers without any Eq applied. The cutting engineer at each pressing plant applied EQ at the time of cutting the local lacquer

Charlie
      Thanks Charlie, that's what I thought. The tapes were "flat" and the EQ added by the lathe cutter when making the lacquer. That's been my experience with the vast majority of tapes I have seen as well.

Comment

You guys need to explore the old 2 track 7.5 ips tapes made in the late 50's by Capitol, Sonotape, etc. The sound on some of these are world class as they were copied in real time on good tape. I have a lot of these and they still play and fast forward and rewind with no problems on multiple machines. In fact the Capitol Jimmy Luncford is so good we use it as a demo at chows copied at 24-192. Seriously, check these out.

One other issue, I used to get copies from the masters from Columbia 30 years ago and when I called my friend who was a mastering engineer there and told him it sounds amazing like good tape always does but feels lacking in some respects he said a lot of tapes are like that and then fixed in production. They did not want to push the limit and played it safe.

Comment

Working...
        X