Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lyrec Frida PTR-1 service advice

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lyrec Frida PTR-1 service advice

    I'm looking at purchasing a Lyrec Frida that is running, but neither channel of the horizontal LED VU meter is illuminating on playback. While this seems like an issue with the VU panel control board versus the LED assembly being burnt out, I'm not at all familiar with the inner workings of the deck. For anyone who has owned or serviced a Frida, have you seen this and, if so, how did you resolve the issue?
    Further - can someone advise of a reputable Lyrec technician in Europe?

  • #2
    Jim,

    Sorry I didn't answer your email on this. The Frida's are very nice sounding machines. There were (at least) two versions, with the later ones actually using a balanced input tape repro preamp. Also used that Dolby process to vary the bias level when recording (HX?). Unfortunately I don't know remember how to tell the versions apart.

    Problem I found with them is that "older" motors get mechanically noisy. And you'll never find a new motor.

    If the deck you're looking at is quiet and records/plays back OK then I'd get it if the price is right. I did work on one with no VU illumination and it was a simple fix (LED's were fine) but damned if I can remember what it was.

    Good luck finding someone to work on it.

    Charles

    Comment


    • #3
      I
      Originally posted by stellavox View Post
      Jim,

      Sorry I didn't answer your email on this. The Frida's are very nice sounding machines. There were (at least) two versions, with the later ones actually using a balanced input tape repro preamp. Also used that Dolby process to vary the bias level when recording (HX?). Unfortunately I don't know remember how to tell the versions apart.

      Problem I found with them is that "older" motors get mechanically noisy. And you'll never find a new motor.

      If the deck you're looking at is quiet and records/plays back OK then I'd get it if the price is right. I did work on one with no VU illumination and it was a simple fix (LED's were fine) but damned if I can remember what it was.

      Good luck finding someone to work on it.

      Charles
      Hi Charlie,

      IIRC Rich Brown had someone in Canada work on his Lyrecs a while back. Not sure if they are still around.

      Steve, Rich is U47 here or his email is [email protected].

      I will email some people I know in Europe to see if they have a lead on a Lyrec tech.
      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com
      ________________________________________

      -Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
      -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
      -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
      -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
      -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

      Comment


      • #4
        Hi Myles and Charlie,

        I reached out to Rich first - Charlie worked on his Lyrecs which is why I emailed Charlie offline.

        I have made contact with Harold T. in Vancouver BC who I believe at one time worked on Lyrec decks (he owns almost a dozen of them), but he didn't offer repair services, either.

        MylesBAstor - European leads would be appreciated as the unit is in Spain and can relatively inexpensively be sent elsewhere in Europe before its shipped to the states.

        Best,
        Steve - not Jim

        Comment


        • #5
          In Europe you may want to contact the poster of this youtube video for the name of the technician:
          https://ruclip.com/video/syR3XnzCaN0...ssions-55.html

          Actually very interesting video for anyone.


          As of which machine is which, I have both MK1 and MK2

          See attached pictures. MK 2 has LEDs by the Rewind, Forward and Play Buttons


          Click image for larger version  Name:	image_16619.jpg Views:	1 Size:	660.1 KB ID:	103904Click image for larger version  Name:	image_16620.jpg Views:	1 Size:	863.3 KB ID:	103905

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by firewall416 View Post
            In Europe you may want to contact the poster of this youtube video for the name of the technician:
            https://ruclip.com/video/syR3XnzCaN0...ssions-55.html

            Actually very interesting video for anyone.
            Funny, I watched this video earlier this week and noted the author's email address. I just emailed to ask him the tech's name, though I don't expect the fellow will be willing to take the work on. Thanks for the reminder!

            The unit I'm looking at is a mkI, but the seller's asking price is quite reasonable, so I'm going for it. I'll eventually find a mkII.

            Comment


            • #7
              If you're in the UK, you could try Simon Gillett at Audio Related in Buckinghamshire. Simon services studio tape machines for number of UK recording studios. Simon G is coming to my house in the New Year to fix my 1/2 inch Studer A820

              http://www.audiorelated.com/audio-service/

              I got his number and recommendation from Simon Heyworth, who used to run Manor Studios for Richard Branson and now has his own mastering studio in Devon. Simon H has used Simon G to service all of his tape machines over the years including A820, ATR102 and others.

              https://www.allmusic.com/artist/simo...042504/credits

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by topoxforddoc View Post
                If you're in the UK, you could try Simon Gillett at Audio Related in Buckinghamshire. Simon services studio tape machines for number of UK recording studios. Simon G is coming to my house in the New Year to fix my 1/2 inch Studer A820

                http://www.audiorelated.com/audio-service/

                I got his number and recommendation from Simon Heyworth, who used to run Manor Studios for Richard Branson and now has his own mastering studio in Devon. Simon H has used Simon G to service all of his tape machines over the years including A820, ATR102 and others.

                https://www.allmusic.com/artist/simo...042504/credits
                Thanks. I'll reach out to inquire as to whether they have experience with Lyrec machines.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by srs148 View Post

                  Thanks. I'll reach out to inquire as to whether they have experience with Lyrec machines.
                  I'm sure that you will find him very helpful. (PS I'm sorry I mis-spelt his name - It's Simon Griffett)

                  [email protected]

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Curt Palme in Langley, BC has been servicing my Fridas for me for the past few years. He has a shipping address in Washington State as well as in British Columbia. Try [email protected].

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Did you manage to get hold of Simon Griffett? He has just been to my home to fix my Studer A820. He also looks after the machines at Air Studios and EMI in the UK, as well as many other independent recording studios.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by topoxforddoc View Post
                        Did you manage to get hold of Simon Griffett? He has just been to my home to fix my Studer A820. He also looks after the machines at Air Studios and EMI in the UK, as well as many other independent recording studios.
                        The seller decided that she wanted to ship only to my billing address in the US, so I had it shipped home. The good news is that the LED VUs work perfectly well. The not so great news is that on initial start-up of the deck, it can take 2-3 minutes for playback speed to lock at 15ips (when selected). Harold T and others on the Lyrec group are investigating possible causes as they have also experienced this issue. More to come.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by srs148 View Post

                          ...Harold T and others on the Lyrec group are investigating possible causes as they have also experienced this issue. More to come.
                          This is an ongoing investigation. After studying this slow start up problem on a number of machines over many months, the best I can determine is that the pinch roller puts too much pressure on the capstan during a warm up period. Decreasing the pinch roller pressure (which is set by a phillips head screw inside and directly under the roller's spring mechanism) can shorten the amount of time it takes for the Frida to reach and maintain stable speed. The manual specs this pressure at 600 grams, but I have found decreasing it to around 200 really helps. The problem is clearly more complicated than this as the machines do start at speed and then after a few seconds drop back to underspeed, then eventually come back up. I suspect there is something in the speed control board as well that is interacting with the pressure at the pinch roller. In my studio, I leave the machines powered up all the time, so this is rarely an actual operational problem for me.


                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X