Otari MTR 10 II-C Heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Otari MTR 10 II-C Heads

How good are these stocks heads vs the MX 5050 BII and the Studer A810, and the Flux Magnetic head for playback only?

Well, the MTR-10 is a very serious tape deck, and even after Otari stopped making decks, they were still making a variety of tape heads. In fact Otari seems to still manufacture heads for other kinds of products. So I can’t imagine why they wouldn’t be good...
    TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
    VINYL: Pioneer PL-50LII/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
    DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, MacMini > Oppo Sonica/Pioneer N-50
    SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9
    AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

Those are excellent decks and usually underestimated by many. You can get one for less than $1,000, parts and techs are widely available and once they have gone through, are very reliable, and I must say, more than the Studers. I have 2 MTR 12; 1/4" and the other 1/2". Their transport mechanism is electronically controlled and very complex. That's their Achilles tendon. My decks has a regular record head but the playback has the butterfly configuration. Heads are as good as any out there. As a matter of fact; these decks has nothing to envy the rest, BUT, are big and heavy (almost 300 lbs). The MX-5050, which I also own, can't compete against it. It's like a PR 99 against a 807. I like my Swiss decks, but I can't say that the differences against their Japanese cousins is day and night. Regards.
      Sketsoteric Audio: "Analog Sound, Digital Flexibility"
      http://mortechpr.wixsite.com/cassetteadventures
      http://mortechpr.wixsite.com/cgmasteringservices

Comment

I have two Otari decks now. One I bought on eBay from a man who does studio work it works ok
        the second is with Soren it's being completely over hauled
        new paint , new whatever mech is needed and all parts removed cleaned and reassembled.
        Lastly all new EC caps through out.
        Second deck will be 1/2 4 track converted to two track
        so it will have two extra sound cards to play with.
        It will also be done by Soren.
        The 1/2 inch deck is to record as well as playback.
        I never heard of Otari until a month or so ago.
        So far it's a blast
        speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
        mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
        digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
        Dacs lampi various

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	116765 This is the 1/4" MTR 12 in my studio.
          Sketsoteric Audio: "Analog Sound, Digital Flexibility"
          http://mortechpr.wixsite.com/cassetteadventures
          http://mortechpr.wixsite.com/cgmasteringservices

Comment

Niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

cool. Is that in your listening room, or do you run cables to another room?
              Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sony MDR-F1 Phones, Headroom Max balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

• El Magnifico
                El Magnifico commented
                Editing a comment
                That's my studio. It's where I do editions, Masterings and record my radio shows. The configuration has changed now and the MTR 12 1/4" is next to the Studer. The 1/2" is on another room but I'll have to move it to the studio as well.

Comment

• El Magnifico
                El Magnifico commented
                Editing a comment
                Klipshorns! Nice.

Well the only thing still Klipsch is the cabinets and 15" woofers, everything else has been upgraded to the hilt. 2" BMS drivers with 2" wooden tractrix flare horns and an all actice system pro audio xover...

Comment

I’m a believer in Flux heads, I was speaking with John French last week, he is working on my Studer headblock, and even compared to the stock studer heads he thought that it would benefit replacing the playback head with a Flux head.

System 1- Wilson Alexia 2, Pass XA100.8, Ref 6, Pass XP27 phono, Esoteric K1, G1, N05, Avid Acutus Ref with SME V and Koetsu Onyx, Studer 807, J-Corder flux heads direct balanced output, Doshi 3.0 tape preamp,Modified Revox PR99, Teac X-2000M, Kimber Selects, Cardas Clear Beyond power.
                System 2 - Magnepan 3.7, Magnepan MMG (rear), Rel sub, Pass X-250.5, Marantz (rear), Pass XP-22, Parasound preamp, Vendetta Phono SCP-2T, SME 20/3 with SME V & Lyra Atlas, OPPO 205, Sony SCD-5400ES, Revox B-77, Kimber Selects.
                System 3 - Luxman L-505 UXII, Project Classic SP, Hana SL, JBL L-100 Classic, Oppo 205

Comment

Originally posted by TommyTunes View Post
                  I’m a believer in Flux heads, I was speaking with John French last week, he is working on my Studer headblock, and even compared to the stock studer heads he thought that it would benefit replacing the playback head with a Flux head.
                  Tommy, I agree I have a Flux repro head in my Otari and it sounds really good, I was just trying to determine if the MTR heads were better then the MX5050 heads and the Studer A810 heads. That would help me decide if I want to try a Flux head in the MTR...

Comment

Working...
                  X