A pair of Studer A 820 one year later

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A pair of Studer A 820 one year later

Approximately a year ago, I acquired a pair Studer A 820 (A-820, A820) tape decks equipped with 318.726 repro head, HX PRO record cards, and Transformer-less output driver.

The decks were working/performing at the time of purchase.

However, once I had them and started reviewing Studer A 820 documents/manuals/schematics and service bulletins, I wanted to perform some maintenance work/updates.

The following list is some of (but not all since I can’t remember everything at this time of drafting the post) the items/updates I personally performed last year.
    • Removed and replaced the radial Frako caps in 6 boards. Capstan Motor Drive Amplifier, Switching Stabilizer, Tape Lifter Controls, Display Driver, and Spooling Supply motor.
    • Replaced a few backlight bulb/Lamps
    • realigned the optical tape sensor on one unit
    • Readjust duty cycle of tach sensors on both spooling reel motors
    • Checked and updated the modules to my understanding of the latest service bulletin updates I was aware of at the time.
    • Pulled all 6 EPROMs in each unit, UV erased them, then reprogrammed to the latest MK II software/firmware after performing the necessary service bulletin updates mentioned above
    • Calibrated/aligned the units for both record and playback
    After 1 year of residence, the two A 820 decks have been working dutifully without any issues or problems.

Here’s a picture from this week and a tip of the hat to the two Studer A 820 tape decks:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Dre-A820-Anniversary-AN.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	118342
    Every day is a good day to play analog.
    - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
    - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
    Every day is a good day for live music.

Beautiful
    Man Nguyen
    www.AustinAcoustic.net
    4-Way Horn Speakers - Active Crossover - 8 Monoblock SET Amps

Comment

• Dre_J
      Dre_J commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks

Dre J, I hate you.......of course not really. However, I am jealous and very happy that you have them and are a good sheppard for those exquisite machines.

Enjoy in good health!
    Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
    Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
    Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
    Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
    Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
    Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

• Dre_J
      Dre_J commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Nick

Those A820s went to the right person. I just can't believe it's already been a year Dre. They both look great and more importantly they are in excellent mechanical and electrical condition.
    SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek with an SME 3012R with Dyna XV-1S cartridge, VPI Avenger table with rim drive and JMW -12-3D arrm with Lyra Etna SL cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

• Dre_J
      Dre_J commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Mark

So after a year how do you find the sound of your machines compared to the best vinyl playback? Have you had other tape units and if so how did they compare to these two machines in sound?

Comment

• Dre_J
      Dre_J commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi earlinarizona,

I posted a reply to your question below in post #10.

Dre

Dre, they look spectacular.

Larry
    Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
    Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
    Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
    Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

• Dre_J
      Dre_J commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Larry

Originally posted by earlinarizona View Post
    So after a year how do you find the sound of your machines compared to the best vinyl playback? Have you had other tape units and if so how did they compare to these two machines in sound?
    Andre has answered your questions on another thread he started about owning multiple tape decks.
    SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek with an SME 3012R with Dyna XV-1S cartridge, VPI Avenger table with rim drive and JMW -12-3D arrm with Lyra Etna SL cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

• jonathanhorwich
      jonathanhorwich commented
      Editing a comment
      Can you link us to that thread?

• Dre_J
      Dre_J commented
      Editing a comment
      Jonathan (jonathanhorwich), I've recenlty posted a quoted reply to earlinarizona in this thread below. Iti is post #10

Very impressive work, Andrea. Don't know if it was done already... but if there were the dreaded Frako caps in the cards and other assemblies, I would suspect there will be more of them residing in the basis board for both transport and audio section. Ki

Comment

Originally posted by Ki Choi View Post
      Very impressive work, Andrea. Don't know if it was done already... but if there were the dreaded Frako caps in the cards and other assemblies, I would suspect there will be more of them residing in the basis board for both transport and audio section. Ki
      Hi Ki,

I'm happy to report two Studers are Frako-free on all PCB assemblies including the edge-card back-plane (aka basis board). We had discussed this a few times last year.

Dre (aka Andre)

Comment

• Ki Choi
        Ki Choi commented
        Editing a comment
        Must have been one of my senior moments...

• Dre_J
        Dre_J commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey, we all have them.

BTW: Despite public opinion, I think senior moments start in the senior year of high school and continue throughout life...

Originally posted by earlinarizona View Post
      Originally posted by mep View Post

Andre has answered your questions on another thread he started about owning multiple tape decks.
      Hi earlinarizona,

Mark mentioned the thread about multiple decks. It was a thread where I asked a series of questions for tape deck owners to share some thoughts about their multiple 15ips capable tape decks. Those questions included which deck sounds best to their owners.

So, for how the Studer A 820s compare to my other tape decks, you can see these links:

Regarding the sound of the A 820s compared to vinyl (Specifically my vinyl playback):
      • It depends on the tape and/or the LP. Additionally, the vinyl playback chain (choice of components) plays a big role in how close vinyl will come to the sound of the tape in terms of dynamics, ease, timbre, coherence, detail, drive, extension at both extremes, etc. For the tape itself, since we are only talking about my Studer A 820 (when properly calibrated), it will depend on the tape province and how well it was transferred.
      • With those coments said, my analog playback on vinyl can match my tape playback on the Studer A 820 in some instances and surpass it in some others (with the right LP and playback combination). In other cases, with other tapes, the Studer A 820 will be ahead.
      • As noted, this is with my vinyl setup that includes 'table, 'arm, 'cartridge, phonostage, and most importantly the actual installation and setup.

I hope I've answered your questions.

Dre
      Last edited by Dre_J; 06-30-2019, 10:24 AM. Reason: Noted my Otari MTR-10 is not a stock unit

Comment

Originally posted by Dre_J View Post

Hi Ki,

I'm happy to report two Studers are Frako-free on all PCB assemblies including the edge-card back-plane (aka basis board). We had discussed this a few times last year.

Dre (aka Andre)
        I had an A820 fully recapped by Roger Ginsley about six weeks ago. He put in roughly 20 hours among troubleshooting, recapping, and calibration / alignment. He said getting to the back-plane was quite a time-consuming process.

Comment

Analog rules...especially, of the open reel variety!
          Vbr,

Sam

Comment

Approximately a year ago, I acquired a pair Studer A 820 (A-820, A820) tape decks equipped with 318.726 repro head, HX PRO record cards, and Transformer-less output driver.

The decks were working/performing at the time of purchase.

However, once I had them and started reviewing Studer A 820 documents/manuals/schematics and service bulletins, I wanted to perform some maintenance work/updates.

The following list is some of (but not all since I can’t remember everything at this time of drafting the post) the items/updates I personally performed last year.
            • Removed and replaced the radial Frako caps in 6 boards. Capstan Motor Drive Amplifier, Switching Stabilizer, Tape Lifter Controls, Display Driver, and Spooling Supply motor.
            • Replaced a few backlight bulb/Lamps
            • realigned the optical tape sensor on one unit
            • Readjust duty cycle of tach sensors on both spooling reel motors
            • Checked and updated the modules to my understanding of the latest service bulletin updates I was aware of at the time.
            • Pulled all 6 EPROMs in each unit, UV erased them, then reprogrammed to the latest MK II software/firmware after performing the necessary service bulletin updates mentioned above
            • Calibrated/aligned the units for both record and playback
            After 1 year of residence, the two A 820 decks have been working dutifully without any issues or problems.

Here’s a picture from this week and a tip of the hat to the two Studer A 820 tape decks:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Dre-A820-Anniversary-AN.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	118342
            Hi
            do you sell them
            respect

Comment

Originally posted by studer7782 View Post

Hi
              do you sell them
              respect
              Hello,

I do not refurbish Studers to sell. These are my personal tape decks.

Dre

Comment

Hi earlinarizona,

Mark mentioned the thread about multiple decks. It was a thread where I asked a series of questions for tape deck owners to share some thoughts about their multiple 15ips capable tape decks. Those questions included which deck sounds best to their owners.

So, for how the Studer A 820s compare to my other tape decks, you can see these links:

Regarding the sound of the A 820s compared to vinyl (Specifically my vinyl playback):
                • It depends on the tape and/or the LP. Additionally, the vinyl playback chain (choice of components) plays a big role in how close vinyl will come to the sound of the tape in terms of dynamics, ease, timbre, coherence, detail, drive, extension at both extremes, etc. For the tape itself, since we are only talking about my Studer A 820 (when properly calibrated), it will depend on the tape province and how well it was transferred.
                • With those coments said, my analog playback on vinyl can match my tape playback on the Studer A 820 in some instances and surpass it in some others (with the right LP and playback combination). In other cases, with other tapes, the Studer A 820 will be ahead.
                • As noted, this is with my vinyl setup that includes 'table, 'arm, 'cartridge, phonostage, and most importantly the actual installation and setup.

I hope I've answered your questions.

Dre
                that's about how i would explain the A-820 <-> vinyl difference too. although i'd say any decent 1/2" tape transfer does typically surpass even the best vinyl. 15ips 1/2" is just a breed apart. 15ips 1/4" compared to the vinyl is as Dre explains.

Comment

Working...
                X