How come they dont call it ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How come they dont call it ...

If they call records, "vinyl" , why don't they call tape " polyester" ( or whatever theyre made of )?
    Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sony MDR-F1 Phones, Headroom Max balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Why is it called tape at all?

Definition of magnetic tape

A thin ribbon (as of plastic) [mylar] coated with a magnetic material on which information (such as sound or television images) may be stored.

or:
    • narrow strip of material, typically used to hold or fasten something;
    • record (sound or pictures) on audio or videotape;
    • a string or ribbon stretched breast-high above the finish line of a race;
    • a narrow woven fabric;
    • fasten or attach (something) with adhesive tape.
    So technically it’s magnetic tape. But derives from #4 above.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
    -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Well, just hope they don't call it "vinyls"
      Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
      Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
      Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
      Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
      Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
      Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

Or "maths" or "innings" as in "an innings" in cricket.

Larry
        Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
        Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
        Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
        Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
        Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
        Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
        Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

it is called expensive it is really that simple

Comment

Also I get mixed up when audiophiles use the term R2R and they are not talking about tape recorders.

Larry
            Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
            Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,

Comment

• Tech7738
              Tech7738 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, there's a bit of confusion. R2R is actually R-2R, which doesn't mean "resistor to resistor", it refers to the relationship of resistor values in the ladder, which is made up of the value of 1R, then another with the value 2*1R (2R). Better explanation here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistor_ladder

• Tech7738
              Tech7738 commented
              Editing a comment
              Ok, sorry. But when you have to explain your humor.....

• Tech7738
              Tech7738 commented
              Editing a comment
              I didn't behold any humor. Doubt anyone is right now either. Can we quit?

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post
            If they call records, "vinyl" , why don't they call tape " polyester" ( or whatever theyre made of )?
            Probably because "polyester" is polysyllabic and "tape" rolls off the tongue way easier/faster
            Linn Kilmax LP12 | Channel D Lino C | innous ZENMini | Kii Three

Comment

This is polyester.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Polyester.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	119105

Comment

Acetate is not as catchy as Vinyl.

Comment

Originally posted by kcin View Post
                  Well, just hope they don't call it "vinyls"

Comment

The Brush Company did try "Soundmirror" and "Sound Ribbon" in 1946 (they were the first to manufacture a domestic, consumer reel to reel in the U.S.).

Comment

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post
                      Well, tape became "common" roughly the same time records started to be made out of vinyl (previously shellac). But "Vinyl" wasn't used to refer to records until fairly recently. Before that they were LPs, singles, 45s or 78s. "Album" swung from meaning a physical album of a group of 78 rpm discs to a single long-play disc. In the 60s I recall calling a 12" long-playing record an "album", not a record, or "vinyl". The little ones with the big holes were 45s or singles.

Tape initially used a paper base. Then acetate, then Mylar (a Dupont trademark) then Polyester, and all that within the first two decades. And that doesn't begin to address oxide formulations. So, what would we call it? "Tape", because regardless of what it was made out of, it was always tape.

By contrast, the long-play record has only ever been made with Vinyl, and though there are many kinds and qualities of vinyl, it's all still vinyl.

...and a stylus was a "needle" long after cactus fell out of favor.

Comment

Probably tape is tape because the original magnetic medium was wire. Transcribing sound on a spool of wire was developed around 1900 and wire recorders (Brush again) lasted up thru WWII. Wire recorders had no "fidelity to speak of" so it was used for dictation purposes. Look up "Telegraphone" and "Valdemar Poulsen".

Charles.

Comment

I believe that vinyl came into usage for long playing records, in order to differentiate them from the 78rpm acetates. Vinyl vs acetate.

Comment

• Tech7738
                            Tech7738 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            When the Long-Playing microgroove record was introduced by Columbia in 1948 was called just that, or an album. The main point of that media was its playing time and sound quality, with the superior characteristics of vinyl over shellac being secondary. Vinyl, as a term for that form of media, didn't come into common usage until the so-called vinyl revival many decades later. The term "vinyl" was never commonly to refer to the Long-Playing Record up until the LP faded from popularity in the 1980s. The long-playing record remained the "LP" or "Album" through to its demise.

• Slowgeezr
                            Slowgeezr commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I always called them records or albums, but I remember reading an article in the '60s making the distinction as I've written. I don't recall any advertising referring to them as vinyl, either.

I'm old enough that the very first record that I bought was Canadian Sunset, sung by Andy Williams. It was a 78 (I don't remember what we called it then - 78 or record I think). LP's were available, but not in stereo until a few years later. The LP's were albums with many songs. I remember that we had some albums that my parents bought - mostly operas, but one favorite was a Patti Page album 'This is My Song' that included "Tennessee Waltz", one of my father's favorites. 78's had one song on each side (like 45's). I was 11 in 1956 when the record came out.

Larry

Comment

Working...
                          X