Runtime on standard reels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runtime on standard reels

Assuming 15 IPS what are the runtimes of a full 7/ 10.5 / 12 inch reel with both 1mil and 1.5 mil tape?
    Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sony MDR-F1 Phones, Headroom Max balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

The standard run times are 33 minutes and 48 minutes for 10.5" reels at 15ips (2500' and 3600' reels). However, the tapes you buy come with a minute or so more tape. Reels are not absolutely full with that much tape. It depends on the exact type of tape to determine how much a really full reel can take. My understanding is that 1 mil and 1.5 mil thickness is for the base. The coating adds additional thickness. There are thinner and thicker coatings. Also, it depends on whether you really want to totally fill the reel, since it is harder to manipulate the reel - the tapes tends to spill out if the reels are really full. When I have dubbed albums that are, say 36 minutes long, I can comfortably fit them on a 10.5 inch reel, no matter what kind of tape I use. However, I need to use thinner tape, like SM468 if I want to push to 38 minutes. Again this is for reels that are not absolutely full.

Larry
    Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
    Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
    Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
    Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

So if you can find 3600 ft reel, you can record just about any LP, that is good. Yeah, I know what youre talking about regarding the reels not being totally full, with my 7 inch reels, the pre recorded tapes have about 1/4" spare space from full even on the longest tapes.
      Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sony MDR-F1 Phones, Headroom Max balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

• astrotoy
        astrotoy commented
        Editing a comment
        I have lots of records that are over 48 minutes, many around 60 minutes.

Larry

• JCOConnell
        JCOConnell commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a few over 48 minutes, I wouldn't say lots, and generally they don't sound good enough to bother to dub to tape

Just to be clear, if you’re buying new tape on 10.5” reels, at 15 IPS you can only count on 48 minutes from 1 mil tape like LPR-35, and 33 mins from 1.5 mil tape like SM900/911/468, unless you splice on additional tape from another reel of tape.
      TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
      VINYL: Pioneer PL-50LII/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
      DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, Marantz NA6006/Pioneer N-50
      SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9, Velodyne FSR-15
      AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

• JCOConnell
        JCOConnell commented
        Editing a comment
        what about 7 and 12 inch reels?

• JCOConnell
        JCOConnell commented
        Editing a comment
        wait a minute, I guess its footage and tape speed, regardless of reel size , right?

• Skylab
        Skylab commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s absolutely right. The only impact that the reel size has is how much tape it will hold. The tape speed and the footage determine how much time you get on the tape. The thickness of the tape determines how much will fit on any given reel size. But generally speaking, a 7” reel gives you half the run time of a 10.5” reel, for any given tape speed and thickness.

In general, 10.5" reels are sold with 2500' of 1.5 mil tape, or 3600' of 1 mil tape.
      7" reels are generally sold with 1200' of 1.5 mil tape or 1800 feet of 1 mil tape.

You can figure the play time at any speed by simple math: feet x 12 = inches. Inches divided by speed = seconds of play time. Seconds divided by 60 = minutes of play time. For example, 3600' at 15 ips: 3600 x 12 = 43,200. 43,200 divided by 15 = 2,880. 2,800 divided by 60 = 48 minutes. For a 2500' reel at 15 ips, the math gives you 33.3333 minutes (let's round it at 33 minutes, 20 seconds).

Tape manufacturers sometimes give you a bit extra than the standard amount. I have a number of reels of Maxell UD35-90, 1 mil tape on a 7" reel. Maxell filled these to the brim including a few feet of trailer and leader. At 7.5 ips, I get 48 minutes, 40 seconds. That works out to about 1822' of tape. And there is literally no room left on the reel.

John C.

Tape Decks: Studer A810; Tascam BR20; Nak CR4A; Nak ZX-9; Nak ZX-7.
      Other: Magneplanar 1.6QR; Paradigm Servo 15; Musical Fidelity A5; Meridian G61; Shiit Bifrost Multibit; Schiit Lyr; Sennheiser HD650; Roon; Tidal; various Macs as digital music servers

Comment

Originally posted by astrotoy View Post
        However, I need to use thinner tape, like SM468 if I want to push to 38 minutes.
        Larry
        Ironically, in its original incarnation, 468 was a thicker tape. It was sold as a low print-through tape. Part of that mojo was in the formulation, but part of it was that it used a thicker base. A full 10-1/2" reel only held 2400 feet, not the usual 2500. Now being made by the fourth successor company, it uses the same base thickness as all their other nominally 1.5 mil tapes.
        Paul Stubblebine
        Mastering Engineer
        Label Honcho, The Tape Project

Comment

• Tech7738
          Tech7738 commented
          Editing a comment
          Don't know how many here have experience with .5mil tape, we used to buy it for extended record time. Nasty stuff. Hard to handle, stretchy, fragile, and it turned out, massive print-through. Still have some. Twice the recording, but some of it was the same recording doubled up. No deal. But over 1hr at 7.5ips, 2 hrs at 3.75ips without a flip. 4 track mono=8hrs on one reel.
      Working...
      X