Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Tape Machine options for the tapeheads!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Tape Machine options for the tapeheads!

If you haven't heard, I just learned from an old friend that

"I thought you might be interested to know that we are bringing Revox back to North America and one of their line items you may be interested in knowing about. We will have the A77, B77 and PR99 as new factory built units from Germany available.

And we can send units back to Germany as well for complete factory refurb with warranty….

Hope you are doing well and enjoying all of your machines."

Details and public announcement to follow next week.

Life is good. Tape-life that is.

Ki

Really ?? How ?
    SEAS EXCEL DIY Speakers; CJ Premier 12; CJ Premier 14; CJ Premier EV1; Accuphase DP 85; MAC Airbook + Audionirvana plus+ Qobuz + Tidal; Micro Seiki RX 1500; Ikeda IT 407 12" + Ortofon MC A95; Thomas Schick 12" + Ortofon SPU 90th Anniversary; Fidelity Research FR64 FX 10" + Ortofon SPU Royal GM MKII; SME M2 12-R + Ortofon MC XPRESSION; Kenwood KD 7010 + Ortofon Jubilee; Revox B710; Revox A77; Revox PR99; Pure Silver DIY Cables; Sennheiser HD800; Sennheiser HDVD 800; Akai AT S-08 Tuner.

Comment

Originally posted by Ki Choi View Post
      If you haven't heard, I just learned from an old friend that

"I thought you might be interested to know that we are bringing Revox back to North America and one of their line items you may be interested in knowing about. We will have the A77, B77 and PR99 as new factory built units from Germany available.

And we can send units back to Germany as well for complete factory refurb with warranty….

Hope you are doing well and enjoying all of your machines."

Details and public announcement to follow next week.

Life is good. Tape-life that is.

Ki
      Think I mentioned this in my RMAF Show report. Robb Niemann at Rutherford Audio will be handling sales. A press release should be forthcoming in the next couple of weeks.

Apparently there are a ton ton of parts left over from the original,machines and the people who designed and built the A77 and B77 are still around. Unlike the Technics machine where I am told the people involved with the original machine are no longer alive.
      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
      -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
      -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
      -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Awesome Ki! Has anyone mentioned what the pricing will be?

Comment

• astrotoy
          astrotoy commented
          Editing a comment
          Curious minds want to know.

• Don RMGI
          Don RMGI commented
          Editing a comment
          According to someone I know, who was at RMAF and talked with the distributor. The distributor was going to sell them direct at about $7,000 for 77's and bit more the 99. Then today I received a follow up email saying, they had received an email this morning from Revox saying the project was put on hold. No other information was available as to why the project was put on hold. I thought it was a nice idea until I heard the price point, I was a big fan of the 77's back in the 70's but as machines evolved I tended to move toward other machines. Even if I had a love affair with a 77, I don't think I could justify a $7K price point for 50 year old technology. I would rather buy one that has been rebuilt by one of the great tech's like Soren for half or less.

Guys, guys, relax. They have been doing this forever. They are a bunch of former Revox techs from Germany that, besides refurbishing and selling Revox components, they also restore your component and sell parts. I got an unobtainable LCD for my B 215S, since all those LCD are starting to pass away. Unfortunately, they are not cheap, but they offer a full year warranty. Another killer is the VAT they charge. It's over 20% and yes; they charge it no matter what. The shipping is high as well,so, at the end the investment is quite high. If you want to send something for full restoration without breaking the bank, just send it to Gio Currado at Milan, Italy, He's the guy. Regards.

PS: there's another Revox servicenter in Switzerland. The same thing with the same high prices. You choose.
        Sketsoteric Audio: "Analog Sound, Digital Flexibility"
        http://mortechpr.wixsite.com/cassetteadventures
        http://mortechpr.wixsite.com/cgmasteringservices

Comment

Are these the same people that were working with Volker Lange and Horch House to build a new version of the Revox? I seem to remember that he had one or more former Revox/Studer engineers working with him. Easier to put together an old design than start something new.

Be interesting to see what happens. Besides Gio Currado in Milan, there are other top restorers (like Gene Walls in Pennsylvania who does Otari MX5050's - I bought two of his - one for my daughter's family and one for my wife) for a fraction of a new machine.

Larry
          Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
          Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
          Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
          Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
          Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
          Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
          Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

• El Magnifico
            El Magnifico commented
            Editing a comment
            Nope. Non related. Gene is excellent, but I don't think he believes in full recap. Gio restored a Otari MX 5050 and he performed a full recap. On that machine is not easy. The same goes with the Technics. Problem is that my MX 5050 is bigger and heavier than the Revoxes,so I have done all repairs myself. I'm sure there must be some others, and I know a couple, but $$$

• jonathanhorwich
            jonathanhorwich commented
            Editing a comment
            Soren does a full recap as well.

• MylesBAstor
            MylesBAstor commented
            Editing a comment
            No nothing to do with Volker. Think we can say he is history at this point. This is from Revox.

Originally posted by El Magnifico View Post
          Guys, guys, relax. They have been doing this forever. They are a bunch of former Revox techs from Germany that, besides refurbishing and selling Revox components, they also restore your component and sell parts. I got an unobtainable LCD for my B 215S, since all those LCD are starting to pass away. Unfortunately, they are not cheap, but they offer a full year warranty. Another killer is the VAT they charge. It's over 20% and yes; they charge it no matter what. The shipping is high as well,so, at the end the investment is quite high. If you want to send something for full restoration without breaking the bank, just send it to Gio Currado at Milan, Italy, He's the guy. Regards.

PS: there's another Revox servicenter in Switzerland. The same thing with the same high prices. You choose.
          These are not refurbished machines. These are brand new.

And yes refurbished been around. Brian Tucker at Pro Audio in Chicago was bringing PR99s in.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
          -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
          -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
          -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
          -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• El Magnifico
            El Magnifico commented
            Editing a comment
            No need, Ki. I already know the whole story. Brian confirmed this to Don Morris and it's been said that the machines would be sold direct to the public (from Robb and not through dealers) to keep prices down, apparently between $5,000 up to $10,000 according to the model. The CEO at Revox Switzerland, (I mean the Revox company and not the repair center), did not confirm, neither deny this, but according to the response I got and reading between the lines, I think it's true. Jurg Schopper, who goes around Switzerland buying all kind of Revox, Nagra, Studer etc, for refurbishing and re-selling told me that he has not heard anything about it. Then, I asked Walter Stutz, the owner of the Revox Museum, also in Switzerland, and told me about the A 77 project: it's a longtime "secret" already spread, but that also there's a lot of BS going on as well, just as I suspected. In Italy, the key Studer/Revox guys insist that it's just "Fake News" and in Germany they say it's just "Wishful Thinking". I don't think it's practical to buy an A-77 for the same price I could get a 810, rebuild with 40 years old parts, when I could get one like mine for just $1,000 fully restored. The value could be in the eye of the beholder, but I'm curious to see how many members from sites like this one would really commit to buy one of those "new" reissues. I'm curious. So, sorry Myles, but when I hear something like this, I simply go direct to the source and confirm it. In this case, REVOX. As I said: I don't doubt what you said but after the Volker/Revox story, anything else could happen! Anyway, I wouldn't be interested, neither would buy one, so, why bother? Regards.

• MylesBAstor
            MylesBAstor commented
            Editing a comment
            At the point in time that I reported the information was accurate. Just as I spoke with the head of Thorens who sent me a video of the machine they were working on (and I think shown at Munich) and then that project seems to be either on hold or cancelled. No one can control the whims and wishes of people.

I do agree that it's not fair for companies to get people's hopes up and then dash them.

• adrianwu
            adrianwu commented
            Editing a comment
            If they release the C37 again, I would buy it !

Click image for larger version

Name:	Revox digital.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	123789

This is REVOX today...

Comment

...and just like that, the project has been put on hold as per the Revox CEO himself. See what I'm saying? Hopefully it's true, though.

Comment

The problem is tape machines were always expensive. The Technics 1500 went for $1500 in its prime that equates today to almost $7400.

Of course one advantage of a "new" machine is that comes with a warranty.

Not to mention sourcing an old machine. This site isn't necessarily a good gauge as there are people who just want one stop shopping. Plug and play. Like buying one of Greg's machines. And as much as I'd like to have an A80, I simply don't have the room for the machine.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

• El Magnifico
                El Magnifico commented
                Editing a comment
                Agree with you 100% Myles.

As a note, if you get the right tech guy, a rebuilt deck from the ground up will beat almost any new deck. My Sony APR's are better in all regards than they were new. Same with my Studer/Revox machines.
              JLH

Comment

• El Magnifico
                El Magnifico commented
                Editing a comment
                Agree and that's why I don't have the need to buy any new reissue.

Originally posted by jonathanhorwich View Post
              As a note, if you get the right tech guy, a rebuilt deck from the ground up will beat almost any new deck. My Sony APR's are better in all regards than they were new. Same with my Studer/Revox machines.
              Jonathan,

You are lucky to have a master in your backyard to provide you with his magic. We should all move to Chicago in pursuit of the tape Nirvana.

Ki

Comment

Originally posted by Ki Choi View Post

Jonathan,

You are lucky to have a master in your backyard to provide you with his magic. We should all move to Chicago in pursuit of the tape Nirvana.

Ki
                Haha.. or move to Seattle so that you have Master Ki in your backyard.

Comment

• astrotoy
                  astrotoy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Jonathan means Soren Wittrup.

• jonathanhorwich
                  jonathanhorwich commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Larry. Fixed it.

• El Magnifico
                  El Magnifico commented
                  Editing a comment
                  In my case, I have to learn the art by myself. I would love to ship my decks to Soren, but packing and sending a MTR 12 to Chicago from Puerto Rico, is easier said than done, not to say expensive as hell and risky, So, I bought all the needed instruments and 3 sets of audio boards with all the necessary spares, just in case. I also replaced the original eeprom with the newest program revision. It's interesting...

In the last ten years I’ve spent enough on buying decks and then paying for full restorations that I could be driving around in a new Porsche. I now have a collection of pelican cases in every size to ship these decks for repair/restoration. Even if a new deck became available I can safely say you can count me out.
                System 1- Wilson Alexia 2, Pass XA100.8, Pass XP-32, Pass XP27 phono, Esoteric K1, G1, N05, Avid Acutus Ref with SME V and Koetsu Onyx, Studer 807 with Flux heads, J-Corder flux heads direct balanced output, Doshi 3.0 tape preamp,Modified Revox PR99, Teac X-2000M, Kimber Selects, Cardas Clear Beyond power.
                System 2 - Magnepan 3.7, Magnepan MMG (rear), Rel sub, Pass X-250.5, Marantz (rear), Pass XP-22, Parasound preamp, Vendetta Phono SCP-2T, SME 20/3 with SME V & Lyra Atlas & Titan I, OPPO 205, Sony SCD-5400ES, Revox B-77, Kimber Selects
                System 3 - Luxman L-505 UXII, Project Classic SP, Hana SL, JBL L-100 Classic, Oppo 205

Comment

Working...
                X