How often are you listening to tapes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often are you listening to tapes?

When tapes were introduced to me a few years ago, it was supposed to be a higher format to enjoy occasionally and wasn't meant to replace any of my other formats. Lately, I find myself listening to tapes almost exclusively and rarely touching my vinyl and digital. I feel spoiled and uneasy!!!😂 So how often are you listening to tapes?

Anthony

I play a couple tapes pretty much every day. Certainly I average 2/day over the course of a week. I’d say my tape playing is probably 2x my vinyl playing, on average. (Digital for me is mainly for background listening and new music sampling 🤪 )
    TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
    VINYL: Pioneer PL-50LII/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
    DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, Marantz NA6006/Pioneer N-50, Schiit Bifrost
    SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9, Velodyne FSR-15
    AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

Almost everyday since the 80's...
      Sketsoteric Audio: "Analog Sound, Digital Flexibility"
      http://mortechpr.wixsite.com/cassetteadventures
      http://mortechpr.wixsite.com/cgmasteringservices

Comment

Every day......

Comment

Exclusively
          I can not remember the last time I listen to my digital
          Man Nguyen
          www.AustinAcoustic.net
          4-Way Horn Speakers - Active Crossover - 8 Monoblock SET Amps

Comment

• MylesBAstor
            MylesBAstor commented
            Editing a comment
            Me neither.

Close to 100% these days.

Larry
          Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
          Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
          Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
          Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
          Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
          Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
          Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

• Rob
            Rob commented
            Editing a comment
            show off ...which begs the question, what was the purpose of your vinyl ripping project if you don't listen to the files?

i listen constantly, and I never tire or find a good tape less than beguiling. When done right it is magical.
          Last edited by jonathanhorwich; 11-02-2019, 01:03 AM.
          JLH

Comment

• Bodyslam
            Bodyslam commented
            Editing a comment
            What Jonathan said.

I play all formats but tape seems to better in the I don’t have worry when record is stopping.
          analog stuff.
          otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
          otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
          sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
          new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
          thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
          thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
          kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
          phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
          speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
          mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
          digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
          Dacs lampi various

Comment

What about the sound?
            JLH

Comment

Yeah, what is it about the sound of tape that you love? For me it’s the sense of ease, flow, and dynamics. It’s the format that sounds most like live music to me.

Comment

• jonathanhorwich
                jonathanhorwich commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree. Like an organic presence of reality.

This is a great question because I was diving head first into tape some 2-3 years ago with a Technics 1500 (custom head block directly wired out to a repro pre). I accumulated a small collection of 15 ips 1/4" tapes. I thought I had an angle on ATR machine which never came to pass and sold the primary rig before my other deal was sealed. I must admit that even while I had tape (Tape Project dups mostly) I still spun vinyl 99% of the time. It was a function of available music for one and 2nd, at $400-500 a pop I'll never accumulate enough music on tape to be like my hero Larry.
              Linn Kilmax LP12 | Channel D | Quicksilver| Chord | Innuos | Klipsch Cornwall IV

Comment

• Bruce B
                Bruce B commented
                Editing a comment
                Or more!!! (LS?)

• astrotoy
                astrotoy commented
                Editing a comment
                The relatively big boys - Tape Project and UltraTape (Chad Kassem) are charging $450 for a 2 reel album, or $225 per reel. Most of the commercial companies charge around that price ($225 per reel), with some down to $150 per reel and some much higher - saw one recently that was around $350 for a one reeler, and there are 2 reelers going for $500 up to $650 IIRC. Of course, some of the two reelers have 35 minutes or less on the two reels, while those selling one reelers typically have around 30 minutes or sometimes more on the one reel.

• astrotoy
                astrotoy commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, Rob.

Originally posted by jonathanhorwich View Post
              What about the sound?
              Tape sounds more dense to me , more of a live event at my place. Tape has ambience with power as apposed to a thinner sound like vinyl .Hope this makes sense. It’s not all like this jonathan of international phonograph is more dynamic seems little to no compression. Others still very good but a bit less dense and dynamic.
              once you dial tape in it’s tough to go away from it.
              vinyl seems faster but thinner
              i am truly sorry for all the typos and ramblings.
              I promise to check much better and use glasses.
              Last edited by Alrainbow; 11-03-2019, 01:59 PM.
              analog stuff.
              new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
              Dacs lampi various

Comment

Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post

Tape sounds more dense to me , more of a live event at my place. Tape has ambience with power as apposed to a thinner sound like vinyl .Hope this makes sense. It’s not all like this jonathan of international phonograph is more dynamic seems little to no compression. Others still very good but a bit less dense and dynamic.
                once you dial tape in it’s tough to go away from it.
                vinyl seems faster but thinner
                i am truly sorry for all the typos and ramblings.
                I promise to check much better and use glasses.
                Al, I couldn't agree more. It's been said (ad nauseum) that vinyl is more fleshed out and tonally more satisfying, etc. than digital. thats until you compare what we think is high-level vinyl playback against tape. Vinyl reproduction still leaves a lot on the table as it were, esp If you have a lot invested into vinyl and think this is as good as it can get, don't listen to tape. It will crush your preconceptions about what the 'best' sources sound like. I've retained a small collection of reels, I've set them aside until I can devote more time and resources to it.
                Linn Kilmax LP12 | Channel D | Quicksilver| Chord | Innuos | Klipsch Cornwall IV

Comment

I am in a little different position being a reviewer and needing both analog sources. But I try and set aside one day where it’s just an all tape listening session.

Though one of our board members Rahul was in town visiting recently and dropped by to listen. He was struck by the similarity in sound between the VPI Vanquish/SAT/Atlas and my tape setup. Contrary to another persons observation on the two that appeared elsewhere. I’d have to say some of the differences lie just in the limitations imposed during the mastering. But a good D2D album can have some ear opening dynamics.
                  Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                  Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
                  -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
                  -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
                  -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
                  -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
                  -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
                  -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                  -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                  -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
                  -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
                  -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Winson stopped by today one would think after two days audio would be done. Well not if it’s tape and good vinyl.
                    tapes
                    hugh M hope
                    Pink Floyd dark side
                    beetles Sargent P
                    muddy waters
                    vinyl hugh M sarafina sealed as new old pressing what dynamics
                    cat Stevens sad Lisa 45
                    Brazil 66 sealed old pressing not Australia it’s on its way though
                    got at the show very good sound nice music.
                    analog stuff.
                    Dacs lampi various

Comment

Working...
                    X