Initial Comments on Yarlung Nostos R2R release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Initial Comments on Yarlung Nostos R2R release

Yesterday was a big new tape day. I received both a shipment from Jonathan Horwich (which I recently posted on another thread) and Bob Attiyeh of Yarlung Records in LA. Myles has written very highly of his 3 reel Nostos album, and I decided to get it (completing at this point my Yarlung/SonoruS collection). Nostos is a recording of choral music (with some solos within the chorus) done by the CSU Fullerton Singers located in Orange County, just south of LA. They had completed a European tour and Bob recorded them just after they came back in 2017. It was recorded in both digital and analogue and the analogue tape was used for this reel to reel release. The three tapes total just over 80 minutes. It is also available as a CD, I believe, and a hirez download from NativeDSD website. Bob is waiting for resupply of reels and boxes and asked me whether I had extras. I did, so he sent me the tapes in pancakes along with the appropriate stickers and program notes, and I wound them on my reels last night.

I find that choral music is about the most difficult to reproduce of all types of classical music, particularly a cappella (without instrumental accompaniment). The quality of the massed choral voices is a joy to behold. There are about 30 singers all together (standard SATB) and maybe a third of them have solos or small ensembles within the different pieces. The sense of the performing space (at the new concert hall at another of the CSU campus, Northridge, in the San Fernando Valley north of LA).There is a range of music, including Brahms, Herbert Howells, Arvo Part, and more recent composers, but it is all very tonal and entrancing. I was very impressed with the quality of the singing, both from the ensemble and the many soloists. The three tapes cost $600, not cheap, but on the lower side of what R2R tapes cost these days.

Thanks to Myles for highlighting this album.

In addition to the tape granddaddy Tape Project, which is still chugging along (I saw Paul Stubblebine last week at their tape duping facility in Pacific and they are awaiting backordered flanges for tapes at the present time) and Chad Kassem, I feel very fortunate that we have Bob Attiyeh, Jonathan Horwich, and Ed Pong in North America producing such fine tapes and finding these great artists.

My funny (I hope) true story about CSU Fullerton, one of the 23 state universities in California (sandwiched between the 10 campus of the University of California and the 115 community colleges in the state). Way back in 1968, when I was newly arrived in California, I found myself at Knott's Berry Farm near the original Disneyland having lunch. Our waitress (that is what they were called back then) looked like she was a young college student (think Beach Boys songs) and I asked her where she went to school. I heard her response as "Cal State for Lutherans." I thought to myself, that is odd - I'm not in the deep south, but that must be a religious state college, and in California. Of course at that time Ronald Reagan was governor, so what did I know? So I asked again, and finally I understood, she was a student at Cal State Fullerton!

Larry
    Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
    Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
    Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
    Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

From my experience, the Yarlung tapes are excellent.

I wrote a music article in The Absolute Sound (TAS issue 290 on page 176) about the Janaki String Trio single reel tape and The Antonio Lysy at the Broad: Music from Argentina & Te Amo, Argentina two reel set (available as individual reels). Both are excellent recordings.

Dre
    Every day is a good day to play analog.
    - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
    - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
    Every day is a good day for live music.

Comment

Originally posted by Dre_J View Post
      From my experience, the Yarlung tapes are excellent.

I wrote a music article in The Absolute Sound (TAS issue 290 on page 176) about the Janaki String Trio single reel tape and The Antonio Lysy at the Broad: Music from Argentina & Te Amo, Argentina two reel set (available as individual reels). Both are excellent recordings.

Dre
      Dre, thanks for reminding me of the article. We know the violist of the (sadly now defunct) Janaki Trio, who started when they were students at Coburn in LA. Katie Kadarauch, has been the assistant principal violist of the SF Symphony since 2007. We have known Katie since the early '90's when she and our daughter were both in the Oakland Youth Symphony when they were in middle school and junior high. Katie and her parents are all musicians, with her father, the long time principal cellist of SF Opera orchestra, and her mother a flute teacher. Interestingly, Katie played principal cello for the OYO in her first year there and then was asked to change to principal second violin in her second year (no viola yet). The OYO was short of viola players, so her mom and I became ringers, sitting as the third and last stand of the viola section. We used to carpool together, since the Kadarauch's lived in the same town as us. In addition to the three stringed instruments, Katie also plays some woodwinds (don't remember which ones).

Larry
      Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
      Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
      Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
      Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
      Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
      Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
      Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Working...
      X