Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
    -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Myles, great job you did. Dan Labrie and I exchanged emails and was very helpful with my questions and seems to have filled Mike shoes pretty well. Chad's humility and down-home personality evoked the best sales pitch...like the analogy of spending $100k on an amp or getting into R2R, that was classic.
    Linn Kilmax LP12 | Channel D Lino C | innous ZENMini | Kii Three

Comment

Myles, Thanks for posting the seminar video. Great to hear from these guys. The Q&A was interesting, esp related to flux heads.

Comment

Great video, Myles, thanks for posting! Makes me want to go buy some tapes!
        Kronos Sparta -> Trinity Phono -> Trinity Pre -> CH Precision A1 -> Magico S7s

Comment

Just saw the whole thing! Very nice. Learned some interesting things. Paul's comments about the importance of the tape transport was very interesting to me.

One point that wasn't explicated well from the seminar, was the role of prepro's - like the Bottlehead that Paul had and Charles King's prepro and others. It wasn't made clear that these are all for playback, not record. At least that is my understanding. I had emailed Paul about the record and playback electronics for my soon to arrive ATR-102, and he told me that he felt the ATR-100 series has great record electronics (the ATR-100's the Tape Project uses for making their dubs are all stock record electronics), but that the playback electronics can be improved. I currently have a Bottlehead prepro for my playback only Bottlehead modified Technics 1500 series, and my ATR-102 will be equipped with a Doshi prepro for playback only.

Thanks to Myles for moderating and to all the participants. Larry
          Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
          Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
          Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
          Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
          Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
          Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
          Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

The only outboard pre that I know of that does Record as well as Playback is the Aria, built by David Hill, who now heads Crane Song.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
              Myles, great job you did. Dan Labrie and I exchanged emails and was very helpful with my questions and seems to have filled Mike shoes pretty well. Chad's humility and down-home personality evoked the best sales pitch...like the analogy of spending $100k on an amp or getting into R2R, that was classic.
              Thanks Rob!

Classic Chad! I'm with him and still subscribe to the adage, "crap in, crap out." To with, having been in the studio, a master tape can make a crappy pair of JBL monitors sounds like a million dollars. You certainly get a lot more sonic return with a R2R deck than changing amplifiers, at least at that price point.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
              -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
              -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
              -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
              -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by astrotoy View Post
                Just saw the whole thing! Very nice. Learned some interesting things. Paul's comments about the importance of the tape transport was very interesting to me.

One point that wasn't explicated well from the seminar, was the role of prepro's - like the Bottlehead that Paul had and Charles King's prepro and others. It wasn't made clear that these are all for playback, not record. At least that is my understanding. I had emailed Paul about the record and playback electronics for my soon to arrive ATR-102, and he told me that he felt the ATR-100 series has great record electronics (the ATR-100's the Tape Project uses for making their dubs are all stock record electronics), but that the playback electronics can be improved. I currently have a Bottlehead prepro for my playback only Bottlehead modified Technics 1500 series, and my ATR-102 will be equipped with a Doshi prepro for playback only.

Thanks to Myles for moderating and to all the participants. Larry
                I think the question of record vs. playback electronics and resultant sound is something that I tend to gloss over since my machine is of course playback only. People like Bruce, Ki and Charlie --and of course the pros -- are more attuned to those differences. They often talk about certain decks being better at playback than record or vice versa. I wish there was a list of different machines that detailed which decks are better at which function or neutral. But it seems to me, that the pro machines all had very good record electronics; it seems the biggest variation was among them was in playback electronics? So that's why it really pays to improve your playback electronics.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Originally posted by allenh View Post
                  Great video, Myles, thanks for posting! Makes me want to go buy some tapes!
                  Yeah, Chad better get his ass in gear!

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Originally posted by Tunes View Post
                    Myles, Thanks for posting the seminar video. Great to hear from these guys. The Q&A was interesting, esp related to flux heads.
                    The only thing that wasn't mentioned is that you have to aware of matching the impedance of the heads to the electronics. That is an issue with certain heads but not sure what the output of the Flux Magnetics ER heads are?

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

The only thing that wasn't mentioned is that you have to aware of matching the impedance of the heads to the electronics. That is an issue with certain heads but not sure what the output of the Flux Magnetics ER heads are?
                      The Inductance on a new Flux ER head is about 200 - 230, with the DIN heads about 225 - 240.

Comment

interesting video, thanks for posting.
                        Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sony MDR-F1 Phones, Headroom Max balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

I'll watch this later, but I suspect it'll be more to help round out knowledge of another interesting topic rather than because of a desire to jump into R2R.

I did very seriously consider this at one point, but (for me) there are issues, not least of which is the price and scarcity of media I'd like to listen to. From what I found (and I may well not have looked hard enough) availability of R2R recordings makes SACD look positively mainstream.

Then there was the perfectionist in me. I am terribly pedantic about the setup of my turntable, and have chosen to go for suspension-less design in order to maintain some sort of sanity. Simplification just wouldn't be an option with R2R!

That said, I'm happy, keen... Eager, even, to listen to other people's systems. Not so many over here in NZ, sadly.
                          DIY TT w/ Transrotor mech, Roksan Tabriz Zi, SAE 1000LT
                          Vacuum State JLTi phono stage, SAS B11a pre-amp, DIY 2A3 monoblocks
                          DIY HD XMOS-based USB->S/PDIF converter, Danish Audio Designs 3-box DAC10
                          DIY 3-way folded line speakers, DIY Open Baffles

Comment

Working...
                          X