Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Tapes on Elusive Disc

Just saw the new offerings,anyone hear these yet? Looks Good
    https://elusivedisc.com/the-l-a-network-dave-brubeck-redux-master-quality-reel-to-reel-tape/
    https://elusivedisc.com/the-l-a-network-dave-brubeck-redux-master-quality-reel-to-reel-tape/
    McIntosh MC501x2,McIntosh c2200, Innersound Eros,Von Schweikert VR4 HSE,VPI Scoutmaster w/Grado Sonata,
    Lehmann Audio Black Cube SE,Sony APR 5003,Revox B77,
    Revox B760 McIntosh MR74

This looks like a tribute to Dave Brubeck by a group called the LA Network, not a tape by Dave Brubeck. $449 for a single reel is definitely on the high side, although it looks like pretty full 30 minute+ reel , since there was a comment that one of the tracks was edited down to fit on the reel. Looks like the dubbing was using two Nagras with a Doshi tape prepro, so the reproduction should be great. I looked at the listings below the tape and there were a total of seven tapes from this company 2xHD. They all appear to be standard 10.5" reels using SM468 tape, with the same dubbing as the tape listed above. All are listed as being copies of the original masters, including a Bill Evans Trio tape and the famed Salt City Six play Classics tape which was a TAS Superdisc on its original vinyl.

Elusive Disc is also offering quite a few tapes that are not easy to find elsewhere, like tapes from Patricia Barber and Lynn Stanley and many of the Opus 3 tapes which are direct copies of the master tapes.

Larry
    Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
    Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
    Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
    Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

• mep
      mep commented
      Editing a comment
      I've been waiting for Lynn Stanley to come out on tape.

Looks promising. As this label charges $450 for a single reel on everything I have looked at I order the DSD version on nativedsd first to make sure I like the music and, if so, I take the plunge.

Most of their albums are available on DSD and this one is no exception; I will order it with high hopes as a Freenbrothers take on Brubeck was disappointing (hard to imitate the master).

The DSD is 35:35 and the tape offering indicates "track 7 was edited to 2:05 min. due to the time limits of the tape" (the DSD listing shows 4:06).
    Aurender X100L, Esoteric Grandioso K1, The Truth linestage, Mara Machines MCI JH110 Reel to Reel 1/4" 2 track Hi-Fi version, Coincident M300B Frankenstein II amplifiers, 300B Psvane ACME Supreme 1% tubes, Coincident Triumph Extreme II speakers, Coincident Statement interconnects, Coincident Statement speaker cables, Coincident Nordost and Shunyata power cords, Coincident Statement USB, Element subwoofer with Behringer 24/96 crossover, Final Audio Design Sonorous X headphones, EMIA silver autoformer headphone volume control, Nordost Qbase8, Furutech FLUX 50 NCF and GTX-D NCF (R), HRS DPX Damping Plate, Tascam DA-3000/Mutec 3+ USB/SOtM 75 ohm, Mutec REF10, Shunyata Sigma Clock 50, ADD-POWR ElectraClear/Wizard/Sorcer x4.

Comment

I’m all for more tape offerings...but $450 for a single reel from someone unknown covering someone else’s music...that’s a big pass from this tape buyer.
      TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
      VINYL: Pioneer PL-50LII/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
      DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, Marantz NA6006/Pioneer N-50, Schiit Bifrost
      SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9, Velodyne FSR-15
      AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

Not sure I could justify the price myself, But the more tapes the better, just a little more reasonable.
        McIntosh MC501x2,McIntosh c2200, Innersound Eros,Von Schweikert VR4 HSE,VPI Scoutmaster w/Grado Sonata,
        Revox B760 McIntosh MR74

Comment

See
          Click image for larger version Name: D80EE6CB-6834-4ECA-9CB4-265E9918208D.jpeg Views: 0 Size: 78.1 KB ID: 112822Click image for larger version Name: 6D8538AD-6A31-43FA-BB03-CDDABF333910.jpeg Views: 0 Size: 131.6 KB ID: 112823Click image for larger version Name: B5371C51-B4A7-4E36-B1C6-2D87722B9013.jpeg Views: 0 Size: 131.9
          Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
          Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
          -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
          -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
          -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
          -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
          -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
          -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
          -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
          -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
          -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Has anyone heard the quality of these offerings?
            Revox B760 McIntosh MR74

Comment

• astrotoy
              astrotoy commented
              Editing a comment
              https://www.audionirvana.org/forum/m...015#post113015

• TommyTunes
              TommyTunes commented
              Editing a comment
              I purchased the Bill Evans Top of The Gate last summer. It may have been the source but I wasn’t impressed at all. I’ve heard many 7.5ips quarter tracks that sound much better. Plus $450 for a single reel containing only 6 tracks seems over the top.

It looks like about 90% of the offerings are from Europe. If you look at the Chasing the Dragons they are $499 for a single reel and $799 for a two reel album at 15 ips. I checked the Chasing web site and a single reel tape there is $470 plus shipping. Also, some other labels like STS are using LPR-35 1 mil tape on their duplicates, in order to get a full album on a single reel.

Comment

They are very pricey however I remember a fairly recent comment by Chad Kassem of Acoustic Sounds saying that the blank tape they use in their manufacturing costs upwards of $100.00 so I can understand the hefty retail prices.
              "I'm...a rather simple person with a limited talent and perhaps a limited perspective"...Bill Evans

LP playback: Ariston RD 11 Superieur, Audiomods Series 6 Tonearm, Dynavector DV DRT XV-1s, Valab LCR MkIII, Target wall-mounted turntable shelf

Amplification: Exposure 2010 S2

Speakers: B&W Nautilus 805 on sand-filled Atacama stands

Cabling: Audio Sensibility Statement SE (ics), Audio Sensibility Testaments (spkr)

Comment

When Tape Project started the 15ips 2 track movement 11 years ago, they were trying to figure out a pricing model that worked- not aiming for a big profit, but also not a loss. At that time they had to count in the cost of the raw tape (IIRC a bit over half the price today, which is around $65-70 per reel with metal reels.) They saw that the vast majority of albums required two reels of regular 1.5mil tape. Then there was the equipment necessary for the mastering and duplication, both the capital expenditures and the maintenance costs. They also had to figure in both the cost of the licenses for the albums and time effort to acquire the licenses (which turned out to be much more difficult and time consuming than they initially thought.

I have been a charter subscriber to Tape Project since the beginning. The initial subscriptions were retrospectively extremely low - $1500 IIRC for the first 10 two reel albums. Of course, as charter subscribers, we paid up front before any of the tapes were produced, which also provided working capital for the Tape Project. As time went on, the prices steadily increased. However, as they had more and more experience with the real costs, they adjusted the price to the present level of $450 per 2 reel album. Chad Kassem took their model when he started the Ultra Tape project for Acoustic Sounds - down to the same duplicating machines, similar two reel albums and packaging.

At $225 per reel, both Tape Project and Ultra Tape are toward the lower end of the price spectrum. In my experience, only Jonathan Horwich (International Phonograph Inc) and Bob Attiyeh (Yarlung) charge less per reel. Most of the companies listed above charge about the same for a single reel as TP and UT charge for a 2 reeler.

Larry

Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
                Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
                Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
                Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
                Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
                Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
                Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Working...
                X