Tape to show off your system!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tape to show off your system!!!

What is your go-to tape or selections to play when you have people over for a listen? What gets the oohs and aahs?

I’d say either the Jerry Garcia / David Grisman, or Hugh Masekela.
    TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
    VINYL: Denon DP59-L/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Pioneer PL-50LII/Dynavector 20xH
    DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, Marantz NA6006/Pioneer N-50, Schiit Bifrost
    SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9, Velodyne FSR-15
    AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

Dexter Gordon - Go
      Holly Cole - Temptation
      Dave Brubeck - Time Out
      Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Miyajima Madake, Miyajima Zero, Benz Micro LPS; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Studer A812; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Comment

I usually show my tape collection to my guest(s) and ask what they would like to listen to. They usually pick albums that they really like and are very familiar with. These three have been selected by friends in the business (manufacturer, audio website owner, grammy award engineer) - all are 1/2" safety masters - Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto - Heifetz, Miles Davis Relaxin' (in mono), Brubeck Time Out. Interestingly they all are from the 1950's.

For commercial tapes, I would choose Arnold Overtures or Rock with Me Baby - Little Hatch from Tape Project (I have the 1/2" version of the Arnold), Hope - Masakela or Scheherazade Reiner from Ultra Tapes, Tatsuki Narita (violin recital) from UltraAnalogue (Ed Pong), Nightclub-Patricia Barber from IPI (Jonathan Horwich), A Private Organ Recital at WDCH from Yarlung (Bob Attiyeh).

Larry
        Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
        Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
        Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
        Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
        Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
        Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
        Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Like Larry I usually show my collection and let them pick. The Beatles (Sargent Pepper) is a favorite, Arnold Overtures, and recently added The Hoodo Blues Man tape is my choice along with a few others...

Comment

My own custom made tape with selected Hi Rez files. Never fails.
            Sketsoteric Audio: "Analog Sound, Digital Flexibility"
            http://mortechpr.wixsite.com/cassetteadventures
            http://mortechpr.wixsite.com/cgmasteringservices

Comment

Is there a certain segment or selection of the tape that is your favorite, be more specific, I'm collecting ideas.

A few for me would be the last five minutes of Arnold Overture, Hugh Masekela's 'Abangoma or Stimela', and the one that I play most is Opus 3 'House of the Rising Sun' from the Opus 3 Sampler Tape Vol. 3, that one gets people!

Comment

El Magnifico
                What Hi-Rez files do you record to tape?

Comment

• El Magnifico
                  El Magnifico commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Music I like. It could be Jazz, R&B, Rock. But let me tell you: just because it's Hi Rez it doesn't mean it sounds excellent! I have heard many horrible sounding hi resolution files and excellent 16/44.1 tracks. It all depends on the original recording: it it was good, even an MP3 sounds acceptable.

Let them pick music they know well and like from your collection. Don't pick for them. If they don't connect with the music you play for them, no amount of great sound will hold their attention for more than a minute or two.
                Steve Lefkowicz
                Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
                -
                Analog: Linn LP12 (MOSE/Hercules II), Ittok, Dynavector 19a, iPhono2; Pro-Ject RPM-1 Carbon, Sumiko Pearl, iFi iPhono.
                Digital: Samsung 300E5C notebook, JRiver Media Center 26, Tidal HiFi and Qobuz Studio), iFi iDAC2, iFi iUSB3, iPurifier2.
                Electronics: Burson Conductor Virtuoso, DIY switch-box with TKD 10K pot, Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso, Jolida JD1000P, B&K ST140.
                Speakers: Tekton Double Impact, Tekton Lore, Magneplaner .7, ELAC Debut2 B6.2, Debut F5 and Debut B6, Emotiva Airmotiv B1, Sound Dynamics 300ti.
                Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA1, Vermouth Audio Black Pearl, Nordost Solar Wind, Audioquest Evergreen
                Speaker cables: Morrow Audio SP4, Vermouth Audio Red Velvet, Nordost Solar Wind, Nordost Flatline, Audioquest Q2.
                Digital cables: Straightwire USB Link, Aural Symphonics Digital Standard xxv USB, Belkin PureAV.
                Accessories: Sound Organization turntable shelf, Mondo racks, Pangea Audio Vulcan racks, Pi Audio Group Über BUSS, Monster HTS2000 power conditioner, Sound Organization speaker stands, Pangea Audio speaker stands, Kinetronics anti-static brush, Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaner, Spin Clean record cleaner.
                Headphones: Schiit Valhalla amp, Meze Audio 99 Classic and 99 Neo, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, 1More MK801, 1More Triple Driver IEM

http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

for 1/2" (that i can mention) the Tape Project's Lee Morgan's 'Sidewinder', or Kurt Elling's 'Flirting With Twilight'. the Kurt Elling is so real it's crazy.

for 1/4" depending on the tastes of the visitor........a live Ben Webster album, 'Sunday Morning at the Montmartre'.......seems to always get ooh's and ahh's. live jazz club tape is hard to beat for that sense of being right there.

i also have a 1/2",30 ips 1st gen work part from a Debussy Piano solo by Ilia Itin......which is awesome.
                  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/615

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Lefkowicz View Post
                    Let them pick music they know well and like from your collection. Don't pick for them. If they don't connect with the music you play for them, no amount of great sound will hold their attention for more than a minute or two.

Totally agree with this. For the record, the two titles I listed I was recommending because they are commercially available. I have lots of tapes I would probably play ahead of those, especially by request...but they’re not tapes one can just go out and buy...

TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
                    VINYL: Denon DP59-L/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Pioneer PL-50LII/Dynavector 20xH
                    DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, Marantz NA6006/Pioneer N-50, Schiit Bifrost
                    SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9, Velodyne FSR-15
                    AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

Commercial tapes
                      Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus
                      Patrica Barber - Cafe Blue

Production masters
                      Bowie- Ziggy Stardust
                      Michael Jackson - Off The Wall
                      Beatles - Revolver

Comment

I agree with this, its that I don't have a large enough tape collection yet to show them and let them pick, I tend to know the music genre my guests' favor, and if not I ask. You guys are giving some good ideas though, and you have tapes that are unavailable to others, I don't have quite the connection yet.

Comment

• Steve Lefkowicz
                          Steve Lefkowicz commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I don't have any tapes! My comment is based on audio demonstrations in general. Any demo has to be based on music the listener can connect with. Otherwise they lose the impact of it very quickly.

I agree with letting a visitor pick whatever they want ... but first I warm them up with a beverage and a little Al Di Meola DDD sourced material recorded onto a Sony Metal Master 90. Then I move to a side from 'Are You Shpongled?' on vinyl. Best to warm things up when there's still a chance of some chatter, before they decide on their personal selection(s) - when the listening becomes more intent.

Comment

Working...
                        X