This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by audioguy1958 View Post
    I have a Studer A810 that I've had modified for switchable PB head output. My technician used the Cardas double shielded 2 x 24M microphone cable (~$20 per foot). He attached the cable to new XLR jacks on the back of the deck, and from there to my upgraded Cello tape preamp. The sound is excellent, and very low noise. I would recommend using the best cable you can find like the Cardas, because of the high gain of repro preamps like the Cello. We're even making jumper cables out of the Cardas microphone cables, to minimize hum/noise. I can use either the Studer internal electronics or the much superior external repro amp now.

'Parts Connexion' sells the Cardas cable.

Every part of the signal path counts! As Charlie knows when he modded my KC and added the Furutech connectors. He added the Furutech male RCA to the end of the wire from the headblock and that goes into the Furutech female on his tape pre. No exaggeration but the difference between connectors was as big as changing heads. Of course, you might not have realized that difference had you not changed the heads. I have one or two last items to work on my deck and am tackling one of them now. That's replacing the old Transparent IC used between the King-Cello and my cj GAT with the new Gen V IC. That will now be perfectly tuned!

Eventually, I'd like to get a better case made for housing the King-Cello too and the Athan rollers for the Technics. Maybe even play with the tape path mod Jeff Jacobs is making for the Technics too.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
    -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

You must have a great sound with your system Myles!

​We've done everything on the A810, complete recap, new bearings, switchable head bypass. but I haven't gotten an Athen roller yet or replaced the original heads with Nortronics. I suppose that should be the last upgrade before I give up and buy one of the new tape machines Revox will be selling soon.

Comment

Originally posted by audioguy1958 View Post
        You must have a great sound with your system Myles!

​We've done everything on the A810, complete recap, new bearings, switchable head bypass. but I haven't gotten an Athen roller yet or replaced the original heads with Nortronics. I suppose that should be the last upgrade before I give up and buy one of the new tape machines Revox will be selling soon.
        It's getting there. Hopefully next month will have spend some time with the Doshi tape pre too.

I've often wondered about the Flux Magnetics ER vs. the Nortronics heads though.
        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
        -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
        -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
        -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
        -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
        -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
        -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
        -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
        -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
        -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
        -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

It's getting there. Hopefully next month will have spend some time with the Doshi tape pre too.

I've often wondered about the Flux Magnetics ER vs. the Nortronics heads though.
          I am curious about this difference myself, which heads work better with the BH Tube Repro and which one works better with the Dehavilland 222?

Comment

Can people post some pictures? I am always interested in seeing how this is done. Nick wired out of the Technics head block through the hole where the 2 track/ 4 track switch was. I want to do this for my studer A812.
            Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Miyajima Madake, Miyajima Zero, Benz Micro LPS; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Studer A812; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Comment

I think I have some pic's of my A810, it has a switch to go between internal and external electronics...

Comment

Originally posted by jcmusic View Post
                I think I have some pic's of my A810, it has a switch to go between internal and external electronics...
                That would be great if you could post them. Thanks.
                Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Miyajima Madake, Miyajima Zero, Benz Micro LPS; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Studer A812; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Comment

Here's a picture of the wiring that John French did to the headblock of my Studer A807. John used Belden cable with the shield twisted into a neat wiring bundle but left unconnected. This was done intentionally so that I could connect the shield only if needed.

​​​​​​​
                  Speakers: Rockport Avior
                  Amp: Ypsilon Aelius Mk II Silver Edition
                  Preamp: Pass Labs XS
                  Phono preamp: Ypsilon VPS-100, Slagle Silver SUTs
                  Phono: Continuum Criterion, Kuzma 4-Point, Lyra Etna SL (and others)
                  Digital: LauferTeknik Memory Player, dCS Scarlatti DAC
                  Tape: Studer A80 RC, King/Cello preamp

Comment

This is a picture of Mike Lavigne's Studer A820 with heads wired with switch by Ki Choi. Switch is for internal preamp or direct to special King/Cello preamp (below on left side).

Comment

The way that the A80 series is done is completely different (If I understand correctly).
                      Since Studer is using wires from the heads to go to the cage cards, why mess with a good thing. What Ki did to mine is tie in where the wires go into the cage cards and continue to a plate in the back of the machine, bypassing the internal cards. This somewhat how Fred does it as well. I believe what Fred does is just replace the internal cards with cards that have external XLR's in them. This is pretty much what Ki did. Don't even mess with the headblock where you can introduce hum and whatever else.

Comment

Wouldn't direct connection at the head be the ultimate solution? At some point I would like to go to an outboard preamp and wire directly to my repro head on my Studer A810. Since I would not plan to have a switch, I wonder if it would be best to power down the internal preamp (or remove it/card?), as I would not need to use the built in preamp anymore.

Short wire, minimum RFI/EMI issues, fewest connections/contacts.

Mike L's machine sounds spectacular.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Pittman View Post
                          Wouldn't direct connection at the head be the ultimate solution? At some point I would like to go to an outboard preamp and wire directly to my repro head on my Studer A810
                          That's exactly what my picture shows above. The other ends of my cable are terminated with male RCA connectors and are hooked up to female RCA connectors on my King/Cello. When Charles King and I were thinking about this connection, we toyed with the idea of soldering the end of the cable directly to the input of his preamp. In the end, we decided against it for obvious reasons (using different external preamps, mainly). I have no desire to use the Studer's repro electronics so this connection is not wired to a switch.

My Studer A80's headblock has also been modified/rewired, this time by Fred Thal. In this case, Fred created a special headblock and mounted Furutech female RCA connectors to the underside of the headblock. The repro head is then connected with a short wire to the RCA connectors. These are accessible from the inside of the chassis. Fred removed the entire audio cage so I have easy access to the RCA connectors.

My current headblock has a 1/4" Flux Magnetics 2 track repro head. This head is optimized for the type of tapes I have on hand (1/4' half track NAB format, i.e. with a wide guard band). If I start acquiring many tapes with different formats (narrow guard band, i.e. butterfly head), I can have another headblock made up and swap the headblocks without much effort.

Speakers: Rockport Avior
                          Amp: Ypsilon Aelius Mk II Silver Edition
                          Preamp: Pass Labs XS
                          Phono preamp: Ypsilon VPS-100, Slagle Silver SUTs
                          Phono: Continuum Criterion, Kuzma 4-Point, Lyra Etna SL (and others)
                          Digital: LauferTeknik Memory Player, dCS Scarlatti DAC
                          Tape: Studer A80 RC, King/Cello preamp

Comment

I have an A812 and can't decide if I should just wire out the head direct to my Doshi V3.0 or put a switch in so that I can also use the internal electronics too. I also use the Doshi with my Technics 1500 with a Nortronics playback head.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce B View Post
                              What Ki did to mine is tie in where the wires go into the cage cards...I believe what Fred does is just replace the internal cards with cards that have external XLR's in them. This is pretty much what Ki did.
                              Pix?

Vbr,

Sam

Comment

Originally posted by squasher View Post
                                My Studer A80's headblock has also been modified/rewired, this time by Fred Thal. In this case, Fred created a special headblock and mounted Furutech female RCA connectors to the underside of the headblock. The repro head is then connected with a short wire to the RCA connectors. Fred removed the entire audio cage so I have easy access to the RCA connectors.
                                Pix?

Vbr,

Sam

Comment

Working...
                                X