Help with XLR to RCA - Revox pr99 MKII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with XLR to RCA - Revox pr99 MKII

Apologies if this is not the right thread. A friend of mine gave me a Revox pr99 MKII. I also have a TEAC 7 inch machine. The TEAC is no issue as it has RCA connections. I am having a hard time figuring out how to record an RCA input from consumer stereo output in to XLR and also to output from XLR to consumer RCA connection to play to my consumer amps.

I did buy XLR to RCA adapters of both the unbalanced and balanced versions, yet I cannot get both left and right channels to input properly and the sound is of low quality.

Can, someone out of the goodness of their heart help me and give a brief overview of how someone would connect this reel to a consumer setup? I think I may need a transformer like this one but I am not 100% sure.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._Matching.html

Thank you in advance,

Wes.

If you don't get a good reply, you can post on Tapeheads.net. Go to the Reel to Reel section. I am guessing you may have a pin 2 vs pin 3 hot in your XLR connector cable. But the Tapeheads.net people know much more about your specific machine. Larry
    Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
    Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiHorizon, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
    Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
    Music-1800R2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

• wesadams
      wesadams commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank Larry I owe you

Well there is an easy way and hard way. The easy way will result in less clean signal - simply buy xlr- rca conversion jacks with pin 3 shorted to pin 1

The PR99 Is truly balanced in and out- the hard way:

You could bypass the input transformers and on the output and you bypass the the balanced output amps and get a better result.

If you are asking this, then you should seek out a good tech to accomplish this for you. With a schematic and moving some wires around you can have a clean signal to RCA type connectors in and out. Neutrik makes a chassis connector to fit in the opening for a professional finish.

Good luck.

Phono: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
    Brinkmann Balance & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas Lamda, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
    Amps: Custom Direct Drive, Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2. Bedini 25/25
    Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
    Speakers: Beveridge Model 3 Direct Drive amps, REL S/2 x 2, Quad ESL pair
    Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

PR 99 has a "monitor" output. It is a 5 pin DIN socket at the top of the machine. It is intended for the connection of the small monitor speaker panel. It does provide a single-ended line output, thus bypassing the poor-sounding balancing circuitry. All you need is a 5 pin DIN to RCA cable. This output effectively turns the PR99 into the better-sounding B77.Beware of some XLR to RCA adapters. They pull the one leg of the balanced output to earth. IME the A80 doesn't mind but other Studer/Revox designs do not like it, sounding poor. For recording, you will need RCA to XLR adapters. Of these, I prefer the Cardas ones but ultimately find a transformer-based solution better (Jensen, Gardner, Sowther, etc.).

Comment

Where to find that 5 pin din to RCA cable? Any pointers? I have 2 PR 99's here that might benefit from that wire. Thanks!
        Sketsoteric Audio: "Analog Sound, Digital Flexibility"
        http://mortechpr.wixsite.com/cassetteadventures
        http://mortechpr.wixsite.com/cgmasteringservices

Comment

Never mind. I found it at ebay and was surprised with the wide availability of this wire format. From cheap RCA to more elaborated ones. I bought 2. One for each of the PR 99's.
          Thanks for the idea.

Comment

HOLD ON! It's not a 5 pin. It's a 7 pin to RCA for Monitor. The 5 pin is for External Capstan Control. I have to cancel the order and re-order the correct configuration. I ordered from Cables On Line through Fleabay.

Comment

Originally posted by El Magnifico View Post
              HOLD ON! It's not a 5 pin. It's a 7 pin to RCA for Monitor. The 5 pin is for External Capstan Control. I have to cancel the order and re-order the correct configuration. I ordered from Cables On Line through Fleabay.
              Sorry!!!!! 7 pin indeed. This machine has not been in use for many years.

Comment

• El Magnifico
                El Magnifico commented
                Editing a comment
                Don't worry. It happens. Thanks anyway for reminding me that option! Much obliged...

• El Magnifico
                El Magnifico commented
                Editing a comment
                You know what, JD? In a certain way you were ok because after checking the schematic the pin configuration for Right-Left-Common remains the same pins on the same location either with 7 or 5 pins! But, since the 7 pin is widely available as well and cost the same, I ordered it in the 7 pin configuration. Regards!

SEAS EXCEL DIY Speakers; CJ Premier 12; CJ Premier 14; CJ Premier EV1; Accuphase DP 85; MAC Airbook + Audionirvana plus+ Qobuz + Tidal; Micro Seiki RX 1500; Ikeda IT 407 12" + Ortofon MC A95; Thomas Schick 12" + Ortofon SPU 90th Anniversary; Fidelity Research FR64 FX 10" + Ortofon SPU Royal GM MKII; SME M2 12-R + Ortofon MC XPRESSION; Kenwood KD 7010 + Ortofon Jubilee; Revox B710; Revox A77; Revox PR99; Pure Silver DIY Cables; Sennheiser HD800; Sennheiser HDVD 800; Akai AT S-08 Tuner.

Comment

• El Magnifico
                El Magnifico commented
                Editing a comment
                I certainly like this mod. I have (2) 99's that might need this. By now I'm using the Din option.

Silver wiring for the RCA output…
              WBT ag ( RCA)
              SEAS EXCEL DIY Speakers; CJ Premier 12; CJ Premier 14; CJ Premier EV1; Accuphase DP 85; MAC Airbook + Audionirvana plus+ Qobuz + Tidal; Micro Seiki RX 1500; Ikeda IT 407 12" + Ortofon MC A95; Thomas Schick 12" + Ortofon SPU 90th Anniversary; Fidelity Research FR64 FX 10" + Ortofon SPU Royal GM MKII; SME M2 12-R + Ortofon MC XPRESSION; Kenwood KD 7010 + Ortofon Jubilee; Revox B710; Revox A77; Revox PR99; Pure Silver DIY Cables; Sennheiser HD800; Sennheiser HDVD 800; Akai AT S-08 Tuner.

Comment

Chord makes Din to RCA cables, they work perfectly for the output.
                System 1- Wilson Alexia 2, Pass XA100.8, Pass XP-32, Pass XP27 phono, Esoteric K1X, P1, G1, Aurender N10, Avid Acutus Ref with SME V and Koetsu Onyx, Studer 807 with Flux heads, J-Corder flux heads direct balanced output, Doshi 3.0 tape preamp, Kimber Select silver, Cardas Clear Beyond power.
                System 2 - Harbeth 40.3 XD, Magnepan MMG (rear), Pass X-250.5, Marantz (rear), Pass XP-22, Parasound preamp, Pass XP17, SME 20/3 with SME V & Lyra Atlas & Titan I, OPPO 205, Sony SCD-5400ES, Revox Modified PR99, Revox B77, Teac X2000M, Kimber Select hybrid silver/copper
                System 3 - Luxman L-505 UXII, Project Classic SP, Hana SL, JBL L-100 Classic, Oppo 205

Comment

While it is true, that the Monitor connector has 7 pins, it happily accepts the 5 pin plug, with the signals coming out. I had such a cable and it works just fine.

I am not very curious to check its sound quality this way. Its XLR outputs I considered just OK.

Comment

• El Magnifico
                    El Magnifico commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, that's exactly what I said concerning the pins. The Din adapter bypass the infamous transformers, making it sounding better (according to many gurus...). Since I'm not one of them, I simply like how it sounds regardless. For convenience, I'm actually using some B&O din connectors on my 99's. Regards.

Originally posted by Foxbat View Post
                  While it is true, that the Monitor connector has 7 pins, it happily accepts the 5 pin plug, with the signals coming out. I had such a cable and it works just fine.

I am not very curious to check its sound quality this way. Its XLR outputs I considered just OK.
                  I tried the three options;
                  xlr
                  din
                  rca

RCA much more clearness. Less than a minute to choose RCA option…

the DIN monitor out its a bad socket. Not for high end audio.

Click image for larger version

Name:	D20A07BA-B35A-4476-AA94-AAE0B29A5AFF.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	473.1 KB
ID:	168127

Comment

• El Magnifico
                    El Magnifico commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You are completely right about that din quality socket, but still makes it work. I'll love to explore the RCA mod in the future. Thank you!

Click image for larger version

Name:	9AD4F489-BFBC-4886-A7A8-74AAC178C90A.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	168129

Comment

Well, it's been a while since I studied that model, but its reproduce amplifier already has opamps in it, so it is by far not the audiophile-cleanest circuit.

On top of that (I just looked briefly), the Monitor output connects pretty much to the repro amp output, it does not get any more of those nasty opamps than the repro amp already has.

The monitor output does sound better, than the XLR, but still far from desired level.

Comment

Working...
                    X