Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studer A810 - what's a fair price

Hi

I have a Studer A810 that I'm going to put up for sale, but I don't know what it's worth. Can someone here guide me in the right direction?

Jan Tariq, Norway

Originally posted by Tariq View Post
    Hi

I have a Studer A810 that I'm going to put up for sale, but I don't know what it's worth. Can someone here guide me in the right direction?

Jan Tariq, Norway
    Has it been fully recapped? How about the heads? What shape are they in?
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Miyajima Zero; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Studer A812; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Pacific

Comment

Non serviced: $5,000 TOP if looking "like new".. Fully serviced/refurbished, $8,000 TOP. Anything beyond that could take months for sale as the 810 is widely available between the range I have just said. Good luck!
      Sketsoteric Audio: "Analog Sound, Digital Flexibility"
      http://mortechpr.wixsite.com/cassetteadventures
      http://mortechpr.wixsite.com/cgmasteringservices

Comment

I think the first number is too low, a really "like new" one can fetch at least $6K, perhaps even a bit more.

Comment

• Don RMGI
          Don RMGI commented
          Editing a comment
          I think what Carlos was saying, is in "like new" condition but NOT Serviced $5K tops. If completely serviced and heads in very good condition around $8K.

• El Magnifico
          El Magnifico commented
          Editing a comment
          Fencer, see Don's comment above...regards! Even though, I wouldn't pay over $5,000 for any deck working or not. This bubble wont last forever and eventually, it's gonna burst.

Personally, I haven't seen a "nice" Studer A810 w/VU Meters selling for a low $5k in a long time...

IMHO a nice unit should be in the $7k-$9k (Upper range for recapped)

Obviously, we could debate what "nice" means... The market is indeed full of beat up stuff, buyer's beware.

In any case, with very few units available in an overall expensive HIFI components market, considering greater R2R software availability, it does not look like sitting on the fence waiting for the "bubble" to burst is a good strategy to get in R2R.

Gone are the days of the Tape Project and bootleg tapes being the only game in town. These days, it is not difficult to come up with a 100-200 commercial titles wish-list for newbies. That is the real cost of entry, the software. Is a Studer A810 in "great / nice" condition not worth more than 10 commercial titles?

It boils down to to this:

- everyone who was in R2R 10 years or more ago can't believe the new pricing make sense,
        - in for 3-5 years ago, you feel lucky for the great timing in securing nice units!
        - If you joining now, compare the price to top shelf turntables.... don't look back, pay the price for the best unit you can find (which is getting harder and harder) and enjoy and enjoy and enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by firewall416 View Post
          Personally, I haven't seen a "nice" Studer A810 w/VU Meters selling for a low $5k in a long time...
          Same here... if I saw one (4 speed, with meters) I would snatch it right away, as it would be an easy $1500-2000 flip... since I already have two.

Regarding the software - people do whole lot more with their machines than just platy the prerecorded tapes.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxbat View Post

Regarding the software - people do whole lot more with their machines than just platy the prerecorded tapes.
            Yes, but the rise in the cost of top tier R2R such as Studer is 95% due to the audiophile playback market. When you look at the past 3 years definitely it is the availability of quality pre-recorded material that was the only variable in the market compare to 1990-2019 timeframe driving the prices up.

Comment

• El Magnifico
              El Magnifico commented
              Editing a comment
              You are right about that, but many persons that has been a long time in the hobby, myself included, seldom use these decks for playing $450.00 tapes. My main purpose is recording and I have hundreds of 10.5 NAB reels on the shelves. With all honesty, I have never bought a pre-recorded tape and the only ones I have played were samplers send to me for reviewing. As fencer says, "people do whole more with their machines than just play the pre-recorded tapes".

Not for the sake of arguing, but the prices of ALL R2R's went up in about the same proportion, including the low cost machines, most definitely not meant for playing $450 tapes.

Comment

• El Magnifico
              El Magnifico commented
              Editing a comment
              You are right.

I just checked on Reverb.com and there are three A810's for sale. They range from $6800 (Germany), $8000 (CA) and $9400 (Spain). Both the units in Europe say they have been completely recapped and all are in good working condition. The CA unit doesn't say it was recapped, but it does have a sticker in the back saying it was serviced in 2019 by SVT Audio.

Larry
            Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
            Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
            Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiHorizon, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
            Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
            Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
            Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
            Music-1800R2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

• El Magnifico
              El Magnifico commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, Larry, because the 2 @ $5,000 were finally sold after almost a year. The A 820 for $30,000 seems to be gone as well. As I have said many times: priced it right and you'll sell it in no time. Now, keep an eye on those you mentioned to see how long it would take to sell. Believe me, I have done that.

• firewall416
              firewall416 commented
              Editing a comment
              Tariq - Reverb is not the best place to get top $ selling your R2R. I notice units sitting there for ever while similar TOL selling quickly and much higher on Audiophile site, facebook or even Ebay (Fees can be an issue)

• El Magnifico
              El Magnifico commented
              Editing a comment
              Could be, but FLEABAY is not the best place to buy. A lot of scammers and the condition of the components are usually misrepresented. The only reason you see faster sales it's because of Fleabay exposition. It attends a much wider audience than Reverb. Reverb is more pro users oriented. Usually, when you buy from an Audiophile site, the components are usually on a better condition.

As I said before: most of the tape heads here has no more need for tape decks as we have many, and mostly Pro TOL Decks. I'm in a position now that I would only take another deck in just if I find an exotic model for a very. very nice price, like I did with the C 270, otherwise I don't need anymore units. 10 are enough. The real problem now is for the new comers due to the ridiculous prices people are asking today. Even the domestic units on fair condition are over $1,000. Ridiculous...

Comment

By the way, this is from a fellow in Switzerland right now on Reverb:

No seperate sales!!!!!!!

I am selling an audio equipment collection.
              Everything works perfectly! You can come and test everything out! I cant give any warranty if you want me to ship it. Pick up is recommended. Write me so we can arrange the price for the shipping. All shipping costs have to be paid by the buyer!

Nagra IV-S Power supply

Revox A78 MK II

Revox A77

Revox A77

Revox A722

Revox A722

Yamaha A560

Revox B780

Revox B226

Marantz CDR500

Marantz CDR630

Marantz PMD671/N1B

Revox A720=

Epson Discproducer PP-100II

Sony pcm-2700a

Yamaha MDX-596

Sony RDR-GX300

Revox Forum 8 MKIII

Revox BR 430

Revox Agora B

Revox Agora B

Revox A700

Revox A700

Revox A77

Revox A77

Revox A77

Revox A77

Revox B77 MK II

Revox G36

Revox B77

Revox B77 MK II

Revox PR99 MKII

Revox PR 99 MK III

Studer A812

Studer A80

Studer A810

Studer B67

Studer A812

Studer A807

Studer A725

Tascam 38

Tascam 38

Uher SG 520

Uher 4000 Report-L

Uher 4200 Report Stereo

Uher 4200 Report Monitor

Tascam DX-4D

Tascam DX-4D

Tascam DX-4D

Fostex D-20B

Panasonic Sv-3700

Sony DTC-A9

Tascam DA-30 MKII

Tascam DA-20

Roland VS-2480

Revox B790

Revox B291

Revox B252

Denon DN-780R

Roland VS 2480 Meter display

Revox B710 MK II

Revox B215

Revox B203

Lorenz Recordophone T22

Revox A76

Revox B261

Soundmaster IR43DAB

You also get tons of extras!
              If you want more picture let me know and i can send you them on whats app!

ENJOY!

Comment

Originally posted by Foxbat View Post
                Not for the sake of arguing, but the prices of ALL R2R's went up in about the same proportion, including the low cost machines, most definitely not meant for playing $450 tapes.

There is no debate (maybe a friendly debate ) that some people use their R2R to record live music or experiment with ebay/flea market 4 tracks and/or other dubious tapes.
                The low/mid end does not drive the price of a Studer, it is the other way around.

It is hard to fathom, with blank tapes costing $80 on reel, that a few years ago all of a sudden the downwards price trend reverse itself because of people rushing to buy R2R for recording their own tapes.

Audiophile are buying enough prerecorded copies of various generation of master tapes from Acoustic Sounds, 2Xhd, Horchhouse, STS, etc.. to make it viable to them apparently.
                When a good portion of HiFi vendors started to show up at HiFi shows with R2R as source and now audiophile magazines are onboard with editorial and reviews that does lift all boats.

This is the new segment of users that are fetching most of the TOL R2R, They generally don't balk at the price of hardware or software. There is not that many units around and supply demand .. price are going up.
                The next level (Mid) then goes up too because of drying up supply of TOL, maybe add external an preamp to that.. then the low end goes up, (won't go there, it is baffling to me )

To use myself as an example, I removed 2 Nagra, 2 Studer and 3 Lyrec off the market int the past 5 years, 6 of those in the last 3 years . I have only dubbed 5-6 tapes and purchased around 75 newly offered prerecorded titles. I know many audiophiles that are not active in forums with TOL R2R and a decent amount of so called "master" tapes.

Sure you can debate the position "i don't buy any pre-recorded tapes", well fair enough but this is what I am saying, you are not in the buyer group that had the market shot up, you were not the catalyst, it is the audiophile market that reverse the pricing trend. there is not enough TOL to go around and new machine cost much more. Basic supply demand.

I don't see many Nagra anymore for sales, lyrec almost non existant and Studer a few units a month, in various dubious shape.

My point is in the context of the thread, Tariq should go fishing in the right pond to sell his machine at top $, the audiophile market not Reverb.
                Last edited by firewall416; 02-03-2022, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Interesting, that you mentioned the dreaded "audiophiles"... I happen to be one myself, and have audiophile customers all over the world, I know many, many of them, but VERY, VERY few who even have R2R machines. Of them only some buy quality prerecorded tapes. So I still feel there are 100 "regular" R2R buyers for every Studer owner, maybe even more, and it is THEM, not audiophiles, who moved the market.

Most audiophiles I deal with are surprised when I mention the tape machines. On one very active audiophile forum there are hundreds, perhaps thousands of posts every day. There is Tape section there, and that one gets pretty much zero posts - mostly from myself and one other guy.

As far as the availability, Lyrec is scarce simply because so few were ever made. But it is not an audiophile quality machine in terms of its sound. Beautiful and great fun to use, I would not part with the two I have, but I never listen to it.

We don't even know what model Tariq has, but if it is the 4-speed one with meters, my advice is to not go below $6,500.

Comment

• firewall416
                    firewall416 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ..... Sure... there are very few Studer or other TOL R2R left in the open market because 99 out of 100 are bought to copy 45m CDs on $160 worth of tapes ....

... it's must be all people buying tapes on eBay and/or recording their local choir acquiring all the Studer R2R... in 2022, not audiophile forking $450 or more per LEGAL "master" copies... that drive the price up...

...and they are not using Lyrec because they sound like crap!....

Did I miss anything?... Cheers!

Sorry, but I don't think it's the audiophile market who drive this new tape fever. Many are just curious and for others it's just "the new latest trend". Have you seen what happen to many machines bought by "audiophiles" a few years later down the road? THEY SELL THEIR MACHINES! Not everyone, but many.

I've been dealing with open reel tape since I was 12 years old and have work with this media in all kind of formats and size: from 1/4 to 2" as a way of life. Not as a hobby. I'm happy to see this tape revival, but I know is going to be a temporary fever, like the Cigar boom of the 90's. Also, other persons has taken advantage of the tape bandwagon "pimping up" old machines and modifying old Technics, Revox and Tascam and selling it for stratospheric prices, together with outboard pre's that cost more than a machine itself. And what about tape manufacturers? They are also enjoying this demand. Good for all of them. Time will only tell how long this would last.

For me the tape was never dead, so I don't care about this new trend and I'm not interested to be a catalyst of anything as I have never stopped using tape! Same as with the cigars that I have been smoking because I like it and not because it is just the last fashion trend. When you have been in this for so many years, you know where to find tape decks. All brands and models, as I was talking with Fencer the other day in another forum. Be an industry insider has its advantages!

Regards.

Comment

Originally posted by El Magnifico View Post
                    Sorry, but I don't think it's the audiophile market who drive this new tape fever.
                    I agree. Go over to tapeheads.net and read the posts there. Only a handful of posters are "audiophiles." The rest are regular guys with machines.
                    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Miyajima Zero; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Studer A812; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Pacific

Comment

Working...
                    X