Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree about the Linda Ronstadt. I bought that one, and a jazz TP title (Lee Morgan The Sidewinder) and while the latter was spectacular, the former wasn't really very impressive. Sounded decent but the combination of it being so short (31 mins) and not great sonically led me to sell it. I have a vintage 7.5 ips 4-track commercial reel of Ronstadt's Silk Purse that sounds better!
    TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
    VINYL: Pioneer PL-50LII/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
    DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, MacMini > Oppo Sonica/Pioneer N-50
    SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9
    AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

Ok guys, this is my latest review on Analogy Records. Enjoy! https://audioimpressions.wordpress.c...alogy-records/
      Sketsoteric Audio: "Analog Sound, Digital Flexibility"
      http://mortechpr.wixsite.com/cassetteadventures
      http://mortechpr.wixsite.com/cgmasteringservices

Comment

• don
        don commented
        Editing a comment
        Great review.

• Sgood@verizon.net
        [email protected] commented
        Editing a comment
        Could youse please clarify the following: "Analogy Records claims that they have eliminated this step because they record the tape direct from the multitrack station itself. I assume it’s a Pro Tools and not a 2” tape master." In the reference to pro tools, does this mean the tape comes from a file and not from tape? I am not schooled on pro tools but thought it is software used in the digital domain (?).

• El Magnifico
        El Magnifico commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you, Don.Glad you like it!

El magnifico - Could you please clarify the following: "Analogy Records claims that they have eliminated this step because they record the tape direct from the multitrack station itself. I assume it’s a Pro Tools and not a 2” tape master." In the reference to pro tools, does this mean the tape comes from a file and not from tape? I am not schooled on pro tools but thought it is software used in the digital domain (?).
      Magnepan 1.7i, VMPS Large Sub, Belden 5000 Speaker Cable, Rogue Audio Sphinx Integrated Amplifier, Adcom GFA 555 II Amplifier, QED passive pre-amp, Celtic Dragon & Grover EX+ Interconnects, Crown SX 722 R/R, Nakamichi RX 202 Cassette Deck, Fosgate Signature Phono Preamplifier, Clearaudio Solution Turntable, Clearaudio Satisfy Tone Arm, Clearaudio Concerto V2 Cartridge, Clearaudio Smart Syncro, Belkin AP41300 Power Conditioner/Surge Protector, Transparent Power Cables

Comment

• El Magnifico
        El Magnifico commented
        Editing a comment
        Just as DCC explained, they use a DAW Pro Tools system (kind of standard in the digital recording realm) instead of a 2" analog tape deck for recording. BUT, those who can afford a nice analog console, pass all the sound through that and then to the pro tools giving some kind of analog color to it. In small studios, all they use is a control (looks like a console but it's not) and go direct to the DAW. Analogy uses a very nice analog console between the performers and the pro tools.

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
      El magnifico - Could you please clarify the following: "Analogy Records claims that they have eliminated this step because they record the tape direct from the multitrack station itself. I assume it’s a Pro Tools and not a 2” tape master." In the reference to pro tools, does this mean the tape comes from a file and not from tape? I am not schooled on pro tools but thought it is software used in the digital domain (?).
      From digital.

https://daviddenyerpr.co.uk/2017/06/...alogy-records/

In which a die-hard analogue man with a serious open reel tape habit discovers a digital elephant in his listening room… and is forced to dismount from his high horse and listen! If you’ve been following my ad-hoc musings here or on social media, or if our paths have crossed out there in the real…

Comment

Huh. I have no reason to doubt those sound great...but reel tape titles like those at prices like those, which are digital recordings to begin with...I will be saving my tape dollars for other things personally (not that anyone asked me!)
      TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
      VINYL: Pioneer PL-50LII/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
      DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, MacMini > Oppo Sonica/Pioneer N-50
      SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9
      AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

• El Magnifico
        El Magnifico commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I know what you mean. Those are not for me either and we have other options for less and completely analog, like IPI which I also reviewed months ago. But anyway, for those who can afford it, it sounds nice anyway.
    Working...
    X