No announcement yet.

Studer C-37

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man Ki, you outdid yourself this time! How do you top this baby?
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Ki,
      As I said before simply awesome my friend...

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
        Man Ki, you outdid yourself this time! How do you top this baby?
        ​Studer J-37 and a copy of the 4 track master tape for Sgt. Pepper?
        Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post

​Studer J-37 and a copy of the 4 track master tape for Sgt. Pepper?

Might be the only way.

-VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
          -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
          -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
          -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Thanks Mark and Myles. Whew...now I have something to live for!

Comment

Originally posted by Ki Choi View Post
              After two years of challenging birth labor process, she is finally out and cried out loud - Hold me closer Tiny Dancer!
              Very nice looking tape deck Ki.

Great work restoring it.

Dre
              Every day is a good day to play analog.
              - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
              - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
              Every day is a good day for live music.
              Every day is a good day to listen to music.
              Industry Affiliation:
              Contributing Writer, The Absolute Sound

Comment

Thanks Mark and Myles. Whew...now I have something to live for!

So how does a C37 sound against one of your other decks Ki? Like your A80 for instance?

Comment

The C37 came from David Bernhagen of Coast Recorders. I'll have to call David and tell him the machine is back to life.
                  Ki, David's a good guy. We exchanged e-mails a few times about location recording. He asked if I were interested in assisting him with a date at UCLA, some time ago.
                  Most regrettably, I was unavailable.

Vbr,

Sam

Comment

So how does a C37 sound against one of your other decks Ki? Like your A80 for instance?
                    I was concentrating on making sure the transport was working properly up to now. This C37 like most of other ones in US is made for 220V 50Hz input power for Europe. So with just a 220V step-up transformer, the tranport operation can be checked out and if I were to record and playback with 220V 60Hz, it still works well. However, in order to play tapes recorded on normal machines, the playback speed is wrong due to the C37's capstan motor running faster at 60Hz.

This is where the PS Audio Power Plant comes in. I had an old P600 ready waiting for the C37. An external 220V step-up transformer was used but I will install an internal transformer and rewire the outlets to be 220V 50Hz.

I threaded Anne Bisson tape tonight. It was glorious music played through the C37 at correct speed. With its full tube electronics, it's more pleasing to my ears than the A80RC MkII. However, it's not as accurate as the A80RC MkII with a big bump in bottom end with C37.

Comment

Originally posted by Dre_J View Post

Very nice looking tape deck Ki.

Great work restoring it.

Dre
                      Starting your own collection of rare master tape recorders is another reason why you should get into playing the tapes, Andre.
                      No other boys in the neighborhood has a C37 (yet).

Comment

Tape decks are like Lays Potato Chips. You can't own just one!

I sense though that Andre is weakening. I hear TAS is going to buy Andre a UHA deck!

Comment

Beautiful deck !
                          Christian
                          System Gear

Comment

Tape decks are like Lays Potato Chips. You can't own just one!

I sense though that Andre is weakening. I hear TAS is going to buy Andre a UHA deck!

UHA deck for Andre! What a no brainer way to start the long journey in being a tapehead!

Comment

Originally posted by rockitman View Post
                              Beautiful deck !

What I like most about these decks is the history behind them. If only they could talk!

Comment

We used them at Motown. I sure never saw a big bump at the low-end.

They were wonderful except that the stop and play buttons kept breaking. A-80s were a big disappointment. My Revox A77 was a step down from the C37 and the A-80 was a step down from that.
                                Bob's room 615 562-4346
                                Artists are the gatekeepers of truth! - Paul Robeson

Comment

Working...
                                X