Studer C-37

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
    We used them at Motown. I sure never saw a big bump at the low-end.

They were wonderful except that the stop and play buttons kept breaking. A-80s were a big disappointment. My Revox A77 was a step down from the C37 and the A-80 was a step down from that.
    It's good to see you here, Bob!

The big low-end bump might be from the current headblock. I see the bump in both IEC and NAB EQ @15ips. The plan is to send the spare headblock with major wear to John French for relap. John think these C37 heads can be significantly worn but he can still lap them. I am also hoarding one set of NOS record and repro heads for it.

During the rebuild, I had to buy five more pushbutton contacts from Europe to fix the broken Stop and Play buttons as well. I still have few spares.

I am surprised at your bad A80 experiences. Are you referring to A80VU or A80RC model?

Comment

We used them at Motown. I sure never saw a big bump at the low-end.

They were wonderful except that the stop and play buttons kept breaking. A-80s were a big disappointment. My Revox A77 was a step down from the C37 and the A-80 was a step down from that.

Glad to see you here Bob!!!

Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
      -Goldmund Telos 440 mono amps
      -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
      -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

I think it was an A-80VU.
        Bob's room 615 562-4346
        Artists are the gatekeepers of truth! - Paul Robeson

Comment

I think it was an A-80VU.
          Other than sharing same electro-mechanical transport section, A80VU and A80RC are quite different in my opinion. For audiophile use, the A80RC is more fitting for having higher inductance repro head (~10mH on VU vs ~200mH on RC) and simpler audio electronics with all discrete components.

I think a Studer A80RC Mk2 with its repro head direct wired out to feed an external tube tape head preamp could out perform a C37 technically (and not to mention in reliability aspects).

However, nothing can touch C37's coolness.

Comment

All I know is the sound.
            Bob's room 615 562-4346
            Artists are the gatekeepers of truth! - Paul Robeson

Comment

Originally posted by Ki Choi View Post
              Starting your own collection of rare master tape recorders is another reason why you should get into playing the tapes, Andre.
              No other boys in the neighborhood has a C37 (yet).
              I know myself well enough to know that I can't get pulled into collecting tape decks. Well at least not right now.

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
              Tape decks are like Lays Potato Chips. You can't own just one!

I sense though that Andre is weakening. I hear TAS is going to buy Andre a UHA deck!

I've stayed away from the potato chips for the moment. Besides, here in my part of the country, it's Grippo's potato chips.

BTW: I'm pretty sure there will be no UHA deck coming my way. That must be for someone else.

Originally posted by Ki Choi View Post
              UHA deck for Andre! What a no brainer way to start the long journey in being a tapehead!
              See above!

Every day is a good day to play analog.
              - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
              - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
              Every day is a good day for live music.
              Every day is a good day to listen to music.
              Industry Affiliation:
              Contributing Writer, The Absolute Sound

Comment

Grippo's BBQ chips are the bomb!
                Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dre_J View Post

I know myself well enough to know that I can't get pulled into collecting tape decks. Well at least not right now.

I've stayed away from the potato chips for the moment. Besides, here in my part of the country, it's Grippo's potato chips.

BTW: I'm pretty sure there will be no UHA deck coming my way. That must be for someone else.

See above!

-VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                  -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                  -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                  -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
                    sleep....
                    Every day is a good day to play analog.
                    - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
                    - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
                    Every day is a good day for live music.
                    Every day is a good day to listen to music.
                    Industry Affiliation:
                    Contributing Writer, The Absolute Sound

Comment

HI Andre,

Hope you & the family are well.

For someone that has deep roots in analog, you really need to make this step!

Of course you already know this!

Gary

Comment

Hello Ki.
                        Great work on your Studer!
                        I also bought a C37. I replaced all the electrolytic caps(Rifa), the bearing(SKF E2...) and the head cables( Mogami).
                        The machine is now running very good, but the capstan motor makes some vibrations (you can feel it on the deck).
                        Do you also have vibrations from the motor? Have you changed the motorcap?
                        And why did you change the mustard caps? As I realy want to know all the "secrets" about the machine, I hope you can give me some Information....
                        best regards,
                        Markus

Comment

Markus:

Sorry I didn't get here until now and saw your question.

First of all, the vibration you feel and hear from the capstan motor is more than likely from lack of oil. If the machine had been resting for many years, it didn't get its annual oiling. You also need proper organic oil and not the synthetic kind modern Studer uses. I had the part number once but can't recall now. You can do Google for C37 capstan oil.

Other than signal caps in the audio chain, all the electrolytic and film caps have been replaced - more for safety and longevity reasons.

Ki

Comment

• stratus
                            stratus commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I dissambled the capstan motor, cleaned it and it got new oil. Studer recommends DTE-EH Oil ,and I took E NUTO 150, which has the same spec.
                            At 15 IPS you can feel the vibration. It is not that i hear it so much. Twisting the coupling rubber decreased it a little bit.I thought changing the motorcap, 3mF (maybe to 2,5mF..) would smooth it...
                            I now that a AC motor vibrates, just wanted to know your experience to compare.

markus

• Ki Choi
                            Ki Choi commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Hi Markus:

If oiling and filling the oil reservoir with oil didn't remove the vibration, I would suspect your capstan assembly needs new bearings. Did you check the bearings when you disassembled the capstan motor assembly? My capstan assembly got new bearings and it is quiet and vibration free close to other far younger Studers in the house.

Originally posted by stratus View Post
                          Hello Ki.
                          Great work on your Studer!
                          I also bought a C37. I replaced all the electrolytic caps(Rifa), the bearing(SKF E2...) and the head cables( Mogami).
                          The machine is now running very good, but the capstan motor makes some vibrations (you can feel it on the deck).
                          Do you also have vibrations from the motor? Have you changed the motorcap?
                          And why did you change the mustard caps? As I realy want to know all the "secrets" about the machine, I hope you can give me some Information....
                          best regards,
                          Markus
                          Glad you made the way to AN Markus! Nice to have another tape head aboard! Look forward to your contributions.

Comment

Working...
                          X