Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Opus 3 Sampler Tape Coming October 1st

Dear Analog Tape Enthusiast:

Coming October 1st from Opus 3 Records is the "One" Sampler Vol. VI Analog Tape. The 6th (and last) Analog Sampler Tape in this series from Opus 3 Records features 7 tracks from the coveted Tape Vault of Opus 3 Records.

Besides being a Showcase for what Opus 3 Records recorded strictly analogue, these Sampler Tapes have also proven to be a great demo-tape for HiFi shops, who really wants to show their customers how good Hi Fidelity can be!! During the analogue years, Opus 3 recorded 51 albums - so there was a lot more to choose from!

"One" Open Reel Selection of Opus 3 Analogue Recordings, Vol. VI
    Retail Price: $250.00 USD

This Master Copy includes music from Eric Bibb, Lars Erik Larsson, Tomas Ornberg's Blue Five and many more artists round out this last Sampler Tape from Opus 3 Records.

Opus 3 Records Offers Analogue Copies from their original Analogue Masters. Over many years they have from time to time been asked if they can offer Analogue Tape Copies. At the end of 2011 they decided to start offering Analogue Tape Copies and their first copies were sold in Sweden and the response was overwhelming!

Opus 3 Records recorded analogue longer than most Audiophile Labels, and it was not until SACD was launched in year 2000, that they started to record digital. Their last analogue recording was Eric Bibb, "Just Like Love", SACD 22002. All in all, they have 50 albums recorded analogue!

When Opus 3 Records creates an Analogue Tape Copy, it is always a One to One Copy where for example no analogue sub-master is in between - they want to make it as good as possible, with no added distortion, noise and wow and flutter etc.

The drawback to this process is that it takes a lot of time, because all the tracks have to be copied one by one which is the reason why their Analogue Tape prices might be a little higher than other companies. Because of the way they do this, they will also have to limit the number of Analogue Tape Copies created per release to a maximum of 50 pieces. The upside to this process is that you are guaranteed to have the best sounding Analogue Tape Copy!

See attached document for the full list of songs included on "One" Open Reel selection of Opus 3 Analogue recordings - Vol VI. If you have any questions about this new title or need any additional information please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thanks for your interest and support!

Good listening!

Kevin Berg,
    AIS & Opus 3 Records
    To order: [email protected]

Showcase 6

1. East of the Sun( Brooks - Bowman)

​From: Lars Erstrand Quartet, feat. Kjell Öhman, ”Dream Dancing”​5´09

​CD 9101

”Erstrand´s always unhesitating, fluent playing gives the unfailing impression of a musician in total control. He can depict the most ethereal moods, as in the title piece, Dream Dancing.... An obvious candidate for Recording of the year!” (Audio Video)

We are fortunate to have Kjell Öhman on piano, who very sadly left us late last year....

​2. Nobody´s Blues But Mine (C. Williams))

​From: ”Tomas Örnberg´s BLUE FIVE and friends, CD 19102​4´53

”This is the most consistently satisfying CD album of the 1920´s small band jazz by a contemporary band this writer has heard in years! This collection of performances contains a winning combination of hot group ensembles and individual solo work.

Highly recomended!” (Mississippi Rag)

​3. Going Home (Trad. Arr. By Eric Bibb)​

​From: Eric Bibb, ”Rainbow People”, SACD 7723​4´43

”For all of you who have been following my music, “Rainbow People” will give you an idea of how far I’ve come on my musical journey. For me, musical ideas are like children; for those of you who are hearing me for the first time, you might want to have a listen to some of my recent work to hear how the children of the ”Rainbow People” have grown.”

Eric Bibb, 2009

​Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy (1809-1847)

​4. Allegro di molto​ (Excerpt) – ”Lieder ohne worte”.

​From: Stockholm Guitar Quartet, (Medelssohn-Brahms-Debussy)​​1´59

​CD 9001

”In this recording the Stockholm Guitar Quartet presents an entirely new family of instruments which they themselves have played a part in developing together with Lars Jönson, today one of Sweden´s foremost guitar makers. The sound is convincing in every way! In the music of Brahms and Mendelssohn, the group evokes moods which, I am convinced are very hard to create on the piano”Rating: First class” (Gitarre und Laute)

​Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756-1791)

​5. Allegro (Excerpt) – ”Clarinet Quintet in A-major, K.V. 581”

​From: Kjell Fagéus (Basset Clarinet) & Zetterqvist Quartet, CD 19301​4´06

”Kjell Fagéus is one of Sweden´s most sensitive and perceptive clarenettists. He has already shown as much in previous recordings, and this time he has addressed the very finest chamber works in the history of music!”

(HiFi & Musik)

Lars Erik Larsson (1908-1986)

​6. Ballad: Moderato, - ”Concertino for double bass and orchestra.”​4´46

​From: Thorvald Fredin & The Oskarshamn Ensemble, SACD 8522

​Conductor: Jan-Olav Wedin

In this highly unusual recording, featuring the double bass as solo instrumnet, we hear music by the Italian Giovanni Bottesini and two Swedish composers – Erland von Koch and Lars Erik Larsson.

​7. Dr. Jazz (W. Melrose - King Oliver)​5´01

​From: ”Kustbandet Live in Stockholm”​

​(only available on MasterCopy or DSD128)​

In April 1975, a year and a half before Opus 3 Records was founded, we had the pleasure of making a live recording of Kustbandet. It was a really swinging event and as the well known character from the era Fats Waller put it….”The joint was jumpin”.

Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Thanks for posting this. I live here stuff I have all I think of the dsd stuff in dsd 128 when available
    Some Of the best dsd I own
    the music choices is. It always my likes but one thing I have learned to do is love great sounding music what ever it is.
    analog stuff.
    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
    otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
    sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
    new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
    thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
    thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
    kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
    phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
    speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
    mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
    digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
    Dacs lampi various

Comment

Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
      Thanks for posting this. I live here stuff I have all I think of the dsd stuff in dsd 128 when available
      Some Of the best dsd I own
      the music choices is. It always my likes but one thing I have learned to do is love great sounding music what ever it is.
      Keep an eye out because I think Jan-Eric also makes Quad DSD samplers at the same time he makes the sampler tapes.

-VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

I have 4 of the seven selections (3 through 6) on the original albums of the Opus 3 tapes. Based on that sample, I would highly recommend this tape, particularly if you want to hear what a master dub of the original sounds like. I had been picking up the Opus 3 records since the early '80's and have around 30-40 of them, including the Eric Bibb Rainbow People album, which I thin is really fine. So I jumped at the chance to buy a bunch (ten) of their master tape dub albums (each is 2 reels) when they first came out a few years ago. Since they are copies of the master tapes, they are strictly limiting the production, so they won't wear out the tapes.

Larry
        Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
        Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
        Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
        Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
        Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
        Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
        Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.7KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Originally posted by astrotoy View Post
          I have 4 of the seven selections (3 through 6) on the original albums of the Opus 3 tapes. Based on that sample, I would highly recommend this tape, particularly if you want to hear what a master dub of the original sounds like. I had been picking up the Opus 3 records since the early '80's and have around 30-40 of them, including the Eric Bibb Rainbow People album, which I thin is really fine. So I jumped at the chance to buy a bunch (ten) of their master tape dub albums (each is 2 reels) when they first came out a few years ago. Since they are copies of the master tapes, they are strictly limiting the production, so they won't wear out the tapes.

Larry
          All of the Opus 3 sampler tapes are amazing. (not to mention the regular reels that are true second generation copies.) My only complaint with the samplers was the last one where the voice on track one was distorted. But all the other tracks were fine. I don't know if it's my tape or the way all of them are. I should have followed up but got busy.

Please tell us which individual Opus 3 tapes you got Larry!

Comment

Myles, I'm currently in London, away from the tapes. I'll post a list when I get back in a couple of weeks. Larry
            Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
            Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,

Comment

I'm back home, spinning some tapes.

Here are the 11 Opus 3 tapes that I have, in addition to the 3 Sampler albums:

Samplers 1,2,3
              Rainbow People Eric Bibb
              Stockholm Guitar Quartet
              Mozart Clarinet Concerto Fageus
              Piano Recital Lindgren
              Brahms/Mozart Clarinet Quintets Fageus
              Handel Organ Recital Herrmansson
              Beethoven Symphony 1,2
              Musica Sacra Erik Westberg
              Schubert Piano Trios
              Opera Pearls Omnibus Wind Ens
              Stockholm Guitar Trio

I bought these three or four years ago through Kevin Berg (at Elusive Disc). Opus 3 ran the dups from their original analogue master tapes, so they have quite wonderful sonics. I got 11 for the price of 10 (since I bought so many at the same time). The price of $500 (at that time) is not bad, considering that all the albums are two reels each, containing on average around 30 minutes a side for each reel.

I haven't played them in some time, but will be playing them (and all my 15ips tapes) in the near future with my new machine and tape prepro (Ampex ATR-120 and Doshi 3.0).

Larry

Comment

I'm back home, spinning some tapes.

Here are the 11 Opus 3 tapes that I have, in addition to the 3 Sampler albums:

Samplers 1,2,3
                Rainbow People Eric Bibb
                Stockholm Guitar Quartet
                Mozart Clarinet Concerto Fageus
                Piano Recital Lindgren
                Brahms/Mozart Clarinet Quintets Fageus
                Handel Organ Recital Herrmansson
                Beethoven Symphony 1,2
                Musica Sacra Erik Westberg
                Schubert Piano Trios
                Opera Pearls Omnibus Wind Ens
                Stockholm Guitar Trio

I bought these three or four years ago through Kevin Berg (at Elusive Disc). Opus 3 ran the dups from their original analogue master tapes, so they have quite wonderful sonics. I got 11 for the price of 10 (since I bought so many at the same time). The price of $500 (at that time) is not bad, considering that all the albums are two reels each, containing on average around 30 minutes a side for each reel.

I haven't played them in some time, but will be playing them (and all my 15ips tapes) in the near future with my new machine and tape prepro (Ampex ATR-120 and Doshi 3.0).

Larry
                How's the Eric Bibb? That is one that I'm considering.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

How's the Eric Bibb? That is one that I'm considering.
                  I really like the Eric Bibb album (I have the vinyl - bought maybe 30+ years ago). It was the only non-classical album I bought from them, because I liked the album so much. I think this was Bibb's first album with Opus 3 from the late '70's.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

Keep an eye out because I think Jan-Eric also makes Quad DSD samplers at the same time he makes the sampler tapes.
                    No, Jan-Eric is still using a Tascam DA-3000 the last time I checked.
                    It tops out at Stereo DSD 128, not DSD 256.

He needs to get a Hapi or Horus ADC from Merging Technologies to add Stereo and Multichannel DSD 256 to his catalog!

Comment

I really like the Eric Bibb album (I have the vinyl - bought maybe 30+ years ago). It was the only non-classical album I bought from them, because I liked the album so much. I think this was Bibb's first album with Opus 3 from the late '70's.

Larry
                      Eric Bibb fans will also enjoy the "A Selection of Eric Bibb" in Stereo DSD 128 over at DSD File.
                      18 Tracks transferred from Analog Master Tape. Nice !

http://shop.dsdfile.com/2013/11/29/a...gue-eric-bibb/

Comment

Opus 3...definitely a favorite for genuine analog reel-to-reel!
                        Vbr,

Sam

Comment

There's something very special about Jan-Eric's microphoning technique and recordings. I don't think there are any recordings more transparent than Jan-Eric's. There's also only a handful that equal the Opus 3s in terms of musical information and openness. As good as the samplers are, his second generation (safety) releases are truly very special and maybe equaled but never surpassed.

Comment

Vbr,

Sam

Comment

I ordered a couple from Kevin Berg today. Looking forward to hearing them on my Studer.

Comment

Working...
                              X