Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restored sticky-shed-syndrome tape reveals a uniquely rare gem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restored sticky-shed-syndrome tape reveals a uniquely rare gem.

Over the passed couple of years I've come across several tapes suffering from sticky shed syndrome - SSS - a condition in which a tape (mainly affecting tapes from the 70s and 80s) draws moisture out of the air becoming gooey and unplayable, until very recently all these tapes ended up in the bin...
    Sadly by the time anyone realised SSS was a problem it had already ruined many precious masters from this period. Tape manufacturers changed their formulations to combat SSS, and a after a few more years someone worked out that by 'baking' a sticky tape it could be made playable once more.
    So, several hours' internet research pointed me towards Nesco's 'American Harvest' FD-60 dehydrator & jerky maker, the tape dehydrator of choice, I bought one. Now all I needed was a sticky tape that I felt the urge to 'rescue'.

Click image for larger version

Name:	01 Baker.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	987.2 KB
ID:	28279 The Nesco American Harvest FD-60

Name:	02 Baker open.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	28280 This will take up to 4 tapes at once! The HD-60 has a very precisely controlled temperature, good airflow and no stray magnetic fields.

Fast forward to mid-August when on eBay I found a tape which looked both genuine and extremely interesting: I'd not heard any Sylvia Griffin, but knew that George Harrison played slide guitar on one of her songs. Could this be the one? I had to find out! Time to test the jerky-maker!

Name:	09 Box.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	28281 The item of extreme interest. What could it contain?

Tape restoration is a time consuming process, and you need to be very careful with that precious sticky tape. Here's my step-by-step process, but I'd love to hear from anyone else who has had success with tape baking:

Name:	00 Pre-baking.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	28282 ​​​​​​​Before baking, and very sticky. This was not playable at all.

1.VERY carefully, by hand, I wound the tape onto a metal nab-hub reel, I did this on my Technics RS-1500 as it is easy to bypass the head-block entirely thus avoiding potential damage to the tape and covering the machine in goo.

Name:	03 Baking.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	28283 The sticky tape, carefully wound onto a 10.5" reel ready for baking.

2. Bake at 135 degrees Fahrenheit for an hour, let it cool overnight (in a sealed plastic bag with a sachet of silica gel, for good luck), and then at VERY slow speed, spooled it back and forth once to settle the tape into a nice even pancake. The tape was still shedding a little at this stage so do be really careful and take it slowwwww...

3. Back into the dehydrator for another 2 hours at 135F, turning the tape over every 30 minutes.

4. After allowing to cool for two hours, I 'played' it at the slowest speed (3.75ips) with cotton pads wedged over the tape heads to remove any remaining loose stuff (I was encouraged and surprised at how little residue was deposited on the pads).

5. Last step before playing was to replace the leader, separation tapes and tail as these had begun to disintegrate. And then, I put it on my Studer and got ready to listen...

Name:	07 Fully restored.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	28284 The tape, baked, new leaders, and ready to play!

Well, there was not a Beatle to be seen (or heard) but the sound was stunning! A little bit more investigation revealed this to be a demo tape featuring Sylvia Griffin's vocal with Maurice Horhut accompanying on piano. There are three tracks on the tape, all extremely beautiful, and I've since tracked down a copy of Sylvia Griffin's single, the one with George Harrison, but that my friends, is another story for another day!

Attached Files

Thanks Dave for sharing your journey. Know that the topic of SSS comes up quite often and this is the first time I've seen this approach. But certainly Bruce or Ki knows far more on the subject!
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

It figures that the "new and improved" tape formulations of the 70's and 80's were actually worse than the originals of the 60's.
      Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Indeed, but then you could say that about an awful lot of things...

Comment

I bought my NECCO Food dehydrator many years ago after reading about it being used for SSS. I've had maybe a dozen tapes that I have baked in this way - just one pass with the dehydrator was enough (several hours as I remember) and you can't over heat in it.

It has saved several valuable old tapes, mostly 7.5ips, but one or two Master Dub 15ips from the SS era.

I bought it from Bed, Bath and Beyond, using their ubiquitous 20% off coupons - I think it was less than $70 including tax. It sits on top of my Air Tight disc flattener.

Larry
          Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
          Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
          Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
          Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
          Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
          Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
          Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

http://www.tangible-technology.com/tape/baking1.html

Comment

Nice link, Bruce.
              I know you did lots of cooking when you did Wilson tape project few years back. I thought you used Rene's oven instead of a food dehydrator. Did you remove the metal reels and bake the tape in pancake state?

Ki

Comment

Originally posted by Ki Choi View Post
                Nice link, Bruce.
                I know you did lots of cooking when you did Wilson tape project few years back. I thought you used Rene's oven instead of a food dehydrator. Did you remove the metal reels and bake the tape in pancake state?

Ki
                LOL.... Rene won't allow me in the kitchen!!
                Yes, baked in pancake state after a clean library wind. Don't want those edges exposed!!

Comment

Working...
                X