The Acoustic Sounds Ultra Tape Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Acoustic Sounds Ultra Tape Thread

Yes the tapes announced at Axpona are absolutely for real and Chad had his first two releases at RMAF. Janis Ian's Breaking Silence and Ben Webster's Gentle Giant. Got both of them to bring home and will have reviews up at PF as soon as possible.

Meantime, Mark and I had a listen to both of the tapes in the VS/Skogrand/VAC/VPI room today and left mightily impressed. Both are great recordings (the Ben Webster currently available on 33 rpm from AS will soon come out at 45 rpm too!). Strike while the fire's hot! Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0003.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.67 MB ID:	29681

Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

The packaging BTW, is absolutely top notch too! Each box is handmade. But you wouldn't expect anything less from Chad.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0008.JPG
Views:	381
Size:	2.66 MB
ID:	29683Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0009.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	29684

-VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

I'm interested in how exactly they made R2R transfers. Any info. Myles?
      Source: Kuzma XL DC/4Point 14 inch/CAR60; Phono: Zanden 1200 Signature; Tuner: Magnum Dynalab MD-108T Signature; Line Stage: Zanden 3000 Mk2; Power amp: Lamm 1.2 Reference; Speakers: AlsyVox Botticelli; Grounding: Tripoint Troy Elite NG; Cable system: Cardas Clear Beyond; Stands: Finite Elemente Master Reference & Master Reference Heavy Duty; Power strip: Cardas Nautilus; Power filter: P.I Audo: BUSS Depot; Acoustics treatment: Svanå Miljöteknik AB (SMT);

Comment

• Rob
        Rob commented
        Editing a comment
        at best a 2nd gen safety copy or no worse than what the vinyl or digital file is created from. it could be a 3rd gen copy and it would still smoke the vinyl (insert audiophile approved hype). Are you thinking about getting into tape?

• Marcus
        Marcus commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm buying tapes for some time now Rob, so I guess I'm already into it.

• MylesBAstor
        MylesBAstor commented
        Editing a comment
        EVERY tape on the reissue list will come from THE master tape. That will be copied to a number of working masters and the working master will be used for duping. So the final tape will be a third generation copy. No company in the world will let you use the master tape 50, 100 or 200 times for copying. That is essentially what all tapes are save for special instances such as Opus 3 or Jonathan Horwich's direct copies from the 8 track master.

Based on the video promo I saw, it looks like the copying is all done on Ampex ATR-100 or 102's (I have a 102) - a master and 2 slaves. The running master looks like a 1/2" tape and the two slave machines are 1/4", although it is very easy to change the head blocks to make 1/2" copies. Myles probably needs to ask Chad what the source of the running master is. My guess is that it is a copy of the master tape. The heads are by Flux Magnetics (which is what ATR uses in their head kits - my 1/2" head kit is from ATR). The original masters for both Breaking Silence and Gentle Ben are 1/4" tapes (from the promo video) and by making the copy onto 1/2" Chad is losing less than if he copied onto 1/4" for the running master.

Tape Project does something very similar, making a 1" running master from the original master tape and then using a bank of 4 ATR-100's as slaves to the ATR-100 master.

Larry
      Last edited by astrotoy; 10-08-2016, 07:24 PM.
      Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
      Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
      Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
      Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
      Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
      Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
      Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Possible a dumb question but will there be dsd release as well ?
        analog stuff.
        otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
        otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
        sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
        new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
        thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
        thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
        kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
        phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
        speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
        mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
        digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
        Dacs lampi various

Comment

Talking to Chad, it was master tape>1/2"copy>1/4" tape. Trust me, they sound great. I bought both of them too.
          Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post
            Talking to Chad, it was master tape>1/2"copy>1/4" tape. Trust me, they sound great. I bought both of them too.
            Thanks, Mark. Did Chad mention anything about making 1/2" copies? Larry
            Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
            Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,

Comment

Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
              I think most of the releases are already in DSD (SACD). Larry

Comment

Larry-I didn't ask about 1/2".
                Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Mark is correct. Except for the RCA three track tapes. (except again for the Decca/RCA Power of the Orchestra that is two track.). The RCA 3 tracks will be copied to 30 ips/1/2 inch tape and copies will be made from that.

I'm salivating at the thought of a tape copy of The Power of the Orchestra! Not that Kije or Scheherazade are any slouches either. Oh to hear that opening violon solo or Herseth's trumpet. Truly mind boggling.

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post
                    Which one you going to play first Mark? Me, I'm going to have to flip a coin!

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

Which one you going to play first Mark? Me, I'm going to have to flip a coin!
                      I played Janis Ian first as that was the freshest in my mind from the show. I played reel 1 of each tape last night. Hearing the tape of Janis Ian at the show gave me a new appreciation for Breaking Silence. The album took on new meaning for me because I connected to the music on another level after hearing it on tape. The Ben Webster is another mind-blowing jazz album sonically and I love the music as well. You will hear every technique that Ben Webster has up his sleeve with this tape and it's truly like you are in the room with him as he is playing.

Comment

First 15 ips reel-to-reel tape release from Analogue Productions! Playback through modded Technics 1500 with Pro-Nortronics heads and Doshi Audio V3.0 tape stage.

Comment

Janis Ian's Breaking Silence.

Comment

Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
                            The Ben Webster album is available on Stereo DSD Download and Hybrid Stereo SACD.
                            http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/94...z64fs_Download

Comment

Working...
                            X