Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some Favorite Pics of Tape Machines

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • More pictures from ShenZhen, GuangDong, China.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	SORC3.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	491.4 KB
ID:	65463


    Click image for larger version

Name:	SORC4.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	542.5 KB
ID:	65464


    Click image for larger version

Name:	SORC5.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	658.1 KB
ID:	65465

    Comment


    • MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      Dat's insane!

    • Skylab
      Skylab commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow. Just wow!

    • dcc
      dcc commented
      Editing a comment
      Now I understand what Fabio Liberatore aka "The Recordman" was meaning when he told me that a lot of Studers were flying to China.

  • Man -- look at all those luscious Studers!
    Vbr,

    Sam

    Comment


    • This looks like a clean room in a tech factory. What do they do with them? Are there master tapes coming from China? Are they there just for show - like the guy who has 15 Ferrari's just because he can?

      Sigh . . . I guess I should be happy with my Tascam BR-20 and quit lusting after a Studer . . . Maybe an Otari MX55 or MTR10 or 12 would be more realistic as a second machine.

      John C.
      Tape Decks: Studer A810; Tascam BR20; Nak CR4A; Nak ZX-9; Nak ZX-7.
      Other: Magneplanar 1.6QR; Paradigm Servo 15; Musical Fidelity A5; Meridian G61; Shiit Bifrost Multibit; Schiit Lyr; Sennheiser HD650; Roon; Tidal; various Macs as digital music servers

      Comment


      • Originally posted by jdcolombo View Post
        This looks like a clean room in a tech factory. What do they do with them? Are there master tapes coming from China? Are they there just for show - like the guy who has 15 Ferrari's just because he can?

        Sigh . . . I guess I should be happy with my Tascam BR-20 and quit lusting after a Studer . . . Maybe an Otari MX55 or MTR10 or 12 would be more realistic as a second machine.

        John C.
        I was under the impression that they were going to be used for large scale duping. If so, be interesting to know how they will maintain quality control. But this could conceivably reduce tape prices.
        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com
        ________________________________________

        -Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
        -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
        -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
        -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
        -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
        -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
        -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
        -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
        -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
        -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
        -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

        Comment


        • In executing wife's order to reduce the herd - permanently positioned in the house and not grazing, one of the Studer A80s went to a buyer in NJ who worked in China earlier this year. He sent me photos of his Studers in China and other master recorder collection that are similar to the photos Gary posted. He either owns or had access to a large office space in Southern China near Hong Kong that was full of most desirable recorders. After he had found out I also had large number of Studer machines, he had offer to buy all the working machines as a lot from me. It came close doing the deal but we couldn't make it work out at the end.

          Comment


          • garylkoh
            garylkoh commented
            Editing a comment
            I didn't take pictures, but one of the rooms at the GuangZhou AV show was dedicated to selling tapes. Mostly Chinese titles, with both classic and modern (they even had a Teresa Teng tape!!), and also titles from Fone, Analogy, Horch House, etc. They had a super-clean A80 to demo the tapes through HiFi Man headphones.

          • Ki Choi
            Ki Choi commented
            Editing a comment
            Sweet! I do like Teresa Teng. Just have her greatest hits CD. I believe Winston had released he LP that John Tucker was going to let me have a copy but never happened.

        • I visited my tech on Friday evening and there were 30 (thirty) Studer A807 awaiting to be refurbished. They all belong to a single owner who has a big archiving project in the pipeline. Crappy picture taken from my smartphone.

          Comment


          • MylesBAstor
            MylesBAstor commented
            Editing a comment
            Share the wealth!

        • Ampex 440 "B" machines, MR-70 1/2" 2-TK.

          Click image for larger version

Name:	Ampexes.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	72968

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Ki Choi View Post
            In executing wife's order to reduce the herd - permanently positioned in the house and not grazing, one of the Studer A80s went to a buyer in NJ who worked in China earlier this year. He sent me photos of his Studers in China and other master recorder collection that are similar to the photos Gary posted. He either owns or had access to a large office space in Southern China near Hong Kong that was full of most desirable recorders. After he had found out I also had large number of Studer machines, he had offer to buy all the working machines as a lot from me. It came close doing the deal but we couldn't make it work out at the end.
            hi Ki, is it Jack? I've also chatted with him and may send a few of my lesser used Studers to him, but it remains to be seen if we can come to an agreement.

            Comment


            • Nicely restored 1/4" 2-TK MR70. If it weren't for the snow yesterday this would have been disassembled and moved back into the upstairs listening room. Click image for larger version

Name:	quarter_inch.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	870.1 KB
ID:	73018

              Comment


              • Click image for larger version

Name:	quarter_inch_2.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	815.7 KB
ID:	73020

                Comment


                • MylesBAstor
                  MylesBAstor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Beautiful shape!

              • 1/2" 3-track MR70 (my machine), 1/2" 4-track (clients) being restored. Both transports rebuilt, finishing up electrical repairs/mods. Console restoration work next followed by electronics rebuild. Click image for larger version

Name:	Two MR.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	849.3 KB
ID:	73022

                Comment


                • MylesBAstor
                  MylesBAstor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Did you make those stations for repairing decks? Really clever!

                • Other_Tom
                  Other_Tom commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Myles, they're factory consoles. I pull the electronics and flip the transports over to service them. The console on the right is one kept on hand just for working on MR70's....with the overbridge removed it's easy to access both sides of the mechanics.

              • Originally posted by Other_Tom View Post
                Nicely restored 1/4" 2-TK MR70. If it weren't for the snow yesterday this would have been disassembled and moved back into the upstairs listening room. Click image for larger version

Name:	quarter_inch.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	870.1 KB
ID:	73018
                Absolutely gorgeous, Tom! It's akin to a fully-restored classic muscle car.

                Comment


                • MylesBAstor
                  MylesBAstor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Embarrassment of riches!

              • Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	285.4 KB
ID:	73042Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	2 Size:	263.7 KB ID:	73043 Stellavox !!!
                Christian
                System Gear

                Comment


                • That Stellavox sure is pretty!

                  Comment


                  • Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	705.2 KB
ID:	85710 Lyrec PTR-1 Frida
                    Last edited by firewall416; 04-20-2018, 01:47 PM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X