1st Tape Software Choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Tape Software Choice

Well if classical is categorically out- I just don't love it that much-what tape specifically out of the recent releases should I get to tease me on my new to me Otari?

Acoustic Sounds has Hugh Maskela, Ricki Lee Jones, Janis Ian and Ben Webster. I like these all but from a production quality point of view what is your opinion?

Opus 3 is always great quality but I can't sit there and listen to 50 minutes of it.. although I may spring for one anyway.

So, you have sampled some of these (& others), and you can only buy 1 to show off the format ... that tape is :_________________________?
    Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
    Brinkmann Balance & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
    Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
    Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
    Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
    Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

I think the Acoustic Sounds Hugh Masekela Hope tape is great, an improvement over the excellent 45RPM LP. Worth the price of admission and highly recommended. I have not heard the other three tapes.
    Speakers/Amps: Genesis G2.2 Jr with Powered Servo-Sub Bass, Genesis GR1440 Mono Amps, 5,000 watts total power
    Preamp: SMc Audio VRE-1C Preamp (fully balanced inputs and output)
    Phono 1: VPI Signature 21 Belt-Drive Turntable with 10” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Windfeld Ti Phono Cartridge driving Lehmann Decade Phono Preamp
    Phono 2: VPI HW-40 Direct-Drive Turntable with 12” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Anna Diamond Phono Cartridge driving Genesis Gold Phono Preamp
    R2R Tape: Studer A810 with Bridge Console
    Digital: Lumin Network Player with Lumin NAS
    Cables: Genesis Advanced Technologies/Absolute Fidelity Interface Interconnects, Speaker, Phono and Power
    Power: Audio-Ultra Power System, IsoTek Super Titan Passive Power Conditioning for Amplifiers
    Accessories: Custom Acrylic Equipment Stands, Klaudio Ultrasonic RCM

Comment

Do you like jazz? If so, I can't recommend International Phonograph tapes highly enough. Reasonably priced at $150 each, and the ones I have are terrific sounding. Check out the Clifford Jordan he just released. Fantastic.
      TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
      VINYL: Denon DP59-L/Hana ML/ModWright PH 9.0; Pioneer PL-50LII/Dynavector 20xH
      DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, Marantz NA6006/Pioneer N-50, Schiit Bifrost
      SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9, Velodyne FSR-15
      AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

• MylesBAstor
        MylesBAstor commented
        Editing a comment
        +1 But I would spring for the Direct copies. Dee Alexander might get my vote if you like jazz vocals.

• kcin
        kcin commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks , I will investigate.

Alternatively there's the The Doctor is In that Andre is duping.
      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
      -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
      -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
      -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

• Skylab
        Skylab commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes indeed, and it's excellent!!

Find the tape with music you have enjoyed and will enjoy years to come regardless of its sound quality. If it is available as master tape dub, it's got to be decent sounding. Some tapes are great sounding to me but personally I couldn't relate to the content and would play them only when someone visits for show & tell purpose and rarely I would play them for myself.

Comment

Opus 3 (Eric Bibb Rainbow People) all the rest of my Opus 3 tapes are classical
        Tape Project (Dave Alvin Blackjack David, Robert Cray False Accusations, Bill Evans Waltz for Debby, Little Hatch Rock with Me Baby)
        Ultra Tape (Hugh Masakela, Rickie Lee Jones)
        Groove Note (Jacintha Autumn Leaves NAB eq)

Larry

Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
        Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
        Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
        Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
        Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
        Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
        Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Garcia Grisman?

Comment

Originally posted by Asamel View Post
            Garcia Grisman?
            That is a super tape and why it got a POY award from me!

I played it for the first time with the Doshi tape preamp the other week and it was even better than I thought.
            Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
            Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
            -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
            -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
            -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
            -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
            -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
            -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
            -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
            -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
            -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

The Garcia Grisman reel is superb. So many great songs on that album. They should release more of the G/G sessions since Paul Stubblebine mastered a lot of that material.
              Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Miyajima Zero; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Studer A812; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Pacific

Comment

Working...
              X