Cable Length to Tape Pre Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable Length to Tape Pre Amp

Just an informal survey. How long are people's cable runs from their reel to reel decks to their external tape pre amp? Also, if you know, what is the inductance of your reproduce head?

I am think of going with the Flux Magnetics 80 mH head and would like to use a run of 6 feet or so. John French is looking into this for me but I was curious what others have done.
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Miyajima Zero; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Studer A812; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Pacific

About a meter and a half. my cable was running out the front of the head stack into the back of the tape pre, as you can imagine it limits your installation options.
    TechDAS | Graham Eng | ZYX | B.M.C. | Boulder | Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

Our Flux heads are about 200mH with cables going to the tape pre's about 1m

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce B View Post
        Our Flux heads are about 200mH with cables going to the tape pre's about 1m
        Thanks Bruce. That's what I have on my Technics RS-1500. I think Nick Doshi has used the 80 mH head with success.
        Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Miyajima Zero; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Studer A812; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Pacific

Comment

• Rob
          Rob commented
          Editing a comment
          I had 400mH Nortronics heads running into a deHaviland 222. The other thing is cable capacitance, it should be as low as possible. I think Nick chimed in on subject here on AN.
      Working...
      X