Must-own Tapes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Must-own Tapes?

I would be very interested in getting recommendations for tapes to purchase. Since they are costly I will only start with a few. If you only were to own a few, what would they be?

And where would one buy them?

So far I have Analog Productions' Scherezade. I love classical, jazz and rock (in that order).

Thanks!
    Magico M-Project, CAT JL7SE, CH Precision L1/X1/P1, Kronos Pro Limited Edition/SME 3012R/Atlas SL/Opus-1, Schiit Yggdrasil, ZenWave D4 ICs & SCs

For my vote - Arnold Overtures Tape Project

Comment

• Madfloyd
      Madfloyd commented
      Editing a comment
      Seems nothing at the Tape Project is available - at least not in the classical genre, but thanks!

Clifford Jordan Quartet, October 1987 – Baltimore, Maryland

http://www.internationalphonographin...ter_tapes.html

Personally, if you're trying to keep costs down a bit, just go for the production copy at $150. That's what I have, and it sounds fabulous. Great recording and GREAT music, if you like "classic" style instrumental jazz quartets (which I certainly do).
    TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
    VINYL: Denon DP59-L/Hana ML/ModWright PH 9.0; Pioneer PL-50LII/Dynavector 20xH
    DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, Marantz NA6006/Pioneer N-50, Schiit Bifrost
    SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9, Velodyne FSR-15
    AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

• Madfloyd
      Madfloyd commented
      Editing a comment
      This is the tape I've been listening to over and over...

Originally posted by Madfloyd View Post
    I would be very interested in getting recommendations for tapes to purchase. Since they are costly I will only start with a few.
    Thanks!

Yeah, $450 and up is a hard pill to swallow. Even then, sometimes you're not getting all of the tracks!

Comment

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      But more than on the LP.

Ok here my suggestions:

Since the classical are gone, Garcia-Grisman from the Tape Project.

Either Smoke and Mirrors or Frederic Rosselet from Yarlung

Direct copy Dee Alexander from IPI

Any of the Opus 3 sampler tapes (choose by music)

You have the Scheherazade from AS but also suggest the Hugh Masekela

Bonus pick: Oscar Peterson v. 4 MPS Horch House
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

• Greg Beron
      Greg Beron commented
      Editing a comment
      Those are all great choices, I second the Opus3 samplers and of course the Hugh Masekela is a no brainer.

May add to that something by UltraAnalogue Recordings because he likes classical Music, Ed has uncovered some great artists and the sound is "in the room". The new violinist he has is a serious technician and the fact that he records these complex pieces in one pass with no editing direct to the tape is just amazing!

• Madfloyd
      Madfloyd commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, just listened to the samples on UltraAnalog's site and they sound great!

. . .

So far I have Analog Productions' Scherezade. . . .

Thanks!
    I have that one too. (Of course I have not heard it yet, but I have high expectations.)

Comment

Originally posted by RonR View Post

I have that one too. (Of course I have not heard it yet, but I have high expectations.)
      Guys, where did you get AP Sheherazade? AS website still shows "Arrival date to be announced "...
      Source: Kuzma XL DC/4Point 14 inch/CAR60; Phono: Zanden 1200 Signature; Tuner: Magnum Dynalab MD-108T Signature; Line Stage: Zanden 3000 Mk2; Power amp: Lamm 1.2 Reference; Speakers: AlsyVox Botticelli; Grounding: Tripoint Troy Elite NG; Cable system: Cardas Clear Beyond; Stands: Finite Elemente Master Reference & Master Reference Heavy Duty; Power strip: Cardas Nautilus; Power filter: P.I Audo: BUSS Depot; Acoustics treatment: Svanå Miljöteknik AB (SMT);

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus View Post

Guys, where did you get AP Sheherazade? AS website still shows "Arrival date to be announced "...
        It is shipping. Mine shipped right after Axpona. Know Chad ran out of tape after they made 28 or so but they were making more copies. It is worth an email to check on availability.
        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
        -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
        -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
        -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
        -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
        -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
        -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
        -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
        -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
        -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

5 stars for the Masekela - both tapes!

Charles

Comment

Ironically I've had the 45RPM LP for years and have only listened to Stimela (The Coal Train). I should probably listen to rest of the album one day.
            Magico M-Project, CAT JL7SE, CH Precision L1/X1/P1, Kronos Pro Limited Edition/SME 3012R/Atlas SL/Opus-1, Schiit Yggdrasil, ZenWave D4 ICs & SCs

Comment

• MylesBAstor
              MylesBAstor commented
              Editing a comment
              Ian it might be worth your while to come down and we can play some tape. Give you a better idea. Bring your wife and we can do dinner.

• Ki Choi
              Ki Choi commented
              Editing a comment
              Can I come too Myles?

• MylesBAstor
              MylesBAstor commented
              Editing a comment
              Buddy you never need to ask.

Ironically I've had the 45RPM LP for years and have only listened to Stimela (The Coal Train). I should probably listen to rest of the album one day.
            Abangoma is my favorite.
            Source: Kuzma XL DC/4Point 14 inch/CAR60; Phono: Zanden 1200 Signature; Tuner: Magnum Dynalab MD-108T Signature; Line Stage: Zanden 3000 Mk2; Power amp: Lamm 1.2 Reference; Speakers: AlsyVox Botticelli; Grounding: Tripoint Troy Elite NG; Cable system: Cardas Clear Beyond; Stands: Finite Elemente Master Reference & Master Reference Heavy Duty; Power strip: Cardas Nautilus; Power filter: P.I Audo: BUSS Depot; Acoustics treatment: Svanå Miljöteknik AB (SMT);

Comment

Working...
            X