STS-Digital Sampler Tape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STS-Digital Sampler Tape

A very good friend brought this sampler tape back from the Munich Show for me to hear.

The tape started out with such great promise. Transferred from the analog master. Played back on a Telefunken M15E machine and copied on the new Ballfinger machine. My expectations were definitely raised.

Unfortunately, they were dashed almost as quickly. 71/2 ips sampler with IEC EQ. Ok some 71/2 ips tapes aren't that bad but they all to my ears lack openness and upper octave extension. But let's put that aside and just listen.

This was hardly something that I would put forward as an example of my work. Sampler tapes are a way of deciding by cuts taken from different albums which reels I want to buy. None of the six cuts-including a Ben Webster track-make me to want to further investigate the label. Nor does the sampler tape put the Ballfinger in a good light either. Music aside, the tape is closed in, murky, veiled and congested. The soundstage and instruments are two dimensional. The bass is boomy. That leads me to ask did STS even listen to the tape?

I did find someone me one else on the net commenting on the same thing (I don't think that sampler was made on Ballfinger though). They added that despite the sound of the sampler tape, they were braver enough to buy the 15 ips copy and found it considerably better and on a totally different sonic plane. Still then, why shoot yourself in the foot then?
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170608_152259.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	2.98 MB
ID:	56105Click image for larger version

Name:	20170608_152319.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	3.06 MB
ID:	56106
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

sounds like they should stick with 15 IPS Reels?--------- maybe 7 1/2 is not their Forte!

Maybe it was the Ballfinger for the low performance or lack of....

Found this clip on Youtube, a STS Reel tape playing on a Teac 3300SX Deck...

imo: sounds good to me, playing on a old school setup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWr9VGDsvIc

Comment

They have done an injustice to themselves with the sampler. It's recording is as you described Myles. Closed in and no extension. But I also had some of their 15ips tapes with my order, which were totally great and highly recommended. Lil's Mcintosh and Ingram Washington were superb.

Comment

I have the STS 15 ips tape of Ben Webster - and I think it sounds terrific! Comparable to Tape Project tapes. So seems they didn't check their 7.5 tape very well before giving some out. Too bad.
          TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
          VINYL: Denon DP59-L/Hana ML/ModWright PH 9.0; Pioneer PL-50LII/Dynavector 20xH
          DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, Marantz NA6006/Pioneer N-50, Schiit Bifrost
          SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9, Velodyne FSR-15
          AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

Working...
          X