After a few months Otari back to life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After a few months Otari back to life

With being gone for work for a week or two each month there has not been a lot of time to play with the Otari MX5050 BII

You may recall I reworked the power supplies and critical regulators as well as did direct out for the heads and had the heads serviced by J. French.

After all that I had some further pesky intermittent gremlins play havoc with the control logic. First a dual nand gate chip then the edit switch which gates the control voltage for FFW and RW.

Well I finally had some time to sort it all out . These 30 yr old decks need much TLC. It is sounding great direct out to the deHavilland and Hugh Maskela- wow.

I don't have much of a tape repertoire but I will order another tape or two this year. It is a bit of a novelty I am enjoying this weekend. It only took about 5 months to get it sorted with my lack of spare time. Those of you that have trusted techs for your decks- cherish them- these are bears to work with overall and I wouldn't do it for anyone but me Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2773.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	61300Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2775.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	61301

Phono: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
    Brinkmann Balance & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas Lamda, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
    Amps: Custom Direct Drive, Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2. Bedini 25/25
    Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
    Speakers: Beveridge Model 3 Direct Drive amps, REL S/2 x 2, Quad ESL pair
    Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

looking good. R2R is so sublime, I am constantly amazed but I have to be judicious about the tapes (cost) we're def playing in the big boy leagues in more ways than one.

To your point, I found a great tech in So, Cal that specializes in prosumer decks and his assistance has been invaluable, in fact, he was recommended to me by Jeff Jacobs of J-Corder.

recommended tape techs would make a great resource page for AN if Myles will post one as sticky we can all add our own recos for tape techs in No. America. and beyond.

Comment

• kcin
      kcin commented
      Editing a comment
      Great idea on the tech resource listing

• Afveep
      Afveep commented
      Editing a comment
      +2 for a sticky on recommended techs

Glad you were finally able to enjoy your Otari, I have the same deck all modded and I am also using the Model 222 tape pre. I also have the Bottlehead Tube Repro which I used with my destroyed Studer 810 but, that's another story. I really enjoy my Otrai it has been a gem to this point and trouble free, that's why I think I am gonna just keep it and not get another Studer. I am gonna be listing all the extra's I have for my Studer if anyone here is interested once I find the time to go through it.

Comment

Project complete. Good news. I've been following.
      You may recall I reworked the power supplies and critical regulators as well as did direct out for the heads and had the heads serviced by J. French.

After all that I had some further pesky intermittent gremlins play havoc with the control logic. First a dual nand gate chip then the edit switch which gates the control voltage for FFW and RW.

Well I finally had some time to sort it all out . These 30 yr old decks need much TLC. It is sounding great direct out to the deHavilland and Hugh Maskela- wow.
      It looks good sitting there with both meters lit.

-Steve

webmaster at The Analog Dept.
      system list:Classe' CAP 151 integrated, Carver TX-11b Tuner, NHT 2.9 Speakers, Thorens TD124 ( plus other Thorens models), Otari MX-5050 BII-2 R2R, Jolida JD100 cd player, ML-9600 digital recorder

Comment

KC-Curious as to why your AP Reel is on the left side of your deck.
        Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Rob,
          Who is the tech that was recomended in SoCal?

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post
          KC-Curious as to why your AP Reel is on the left side of your deck.
          Long story.. don't lend your AP tapes to friends.... all good..
          Phono: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
          Brinkmann Balance & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas Lamda, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
          Amps: Custom Direct Drive, Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2. Bedini 25/25
          Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
          Speakers: Beveridge Model 3 Direct Drive amps, REL S/2 x 2, Quad ESL pair
          Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

• mep
            mep commented
            Editing a comment
            Got it!

• mep
            mep commented
            Editing a comment
            You can always spool the tape back to the reel correctly.

Originally posted by kcin View Post

Long story.. don't lend your AP tapes to friends.... all good..
          he he

Thank goodness no damage.
          Every day is a good day to play analog.
          - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
          - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
          Every day is a good day for live music.
          Every day is a good day to listen to music.
          Industry Affiliation:
          Contributing Writer, The Absolute Sound

Comment

Working...
          X