This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview With James Boyk on the Magnesauraus Tape Machine

Interesting reading about this one of a kind Ampex 351.
    Mike Joseph interview with James Boyk about Boyk's unique All-Tube Analog<SUP>TM</SUP> master recorder
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 and Thoress Mk. 2 phonostages; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/12-inch Fat Boy, Klaudio arm, Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Myles,
    Is there any new information on the development of this one of a kind recorder? Are there any tapes available to the public that were recorded on this machine? I ask as i have just received a copy of Crazy Joe "The Doctor is in" from Andre and the sound being reproduced by my lowly A810 is very very nice and I would be very willing to purchase a tape made on the Magnesauraus if available that is.

Pete.
    Studer A810, VPI ScoutMaster, center clamp, periphery ring, SDS, JMW 10.5 w/adj.VTA, ClearAudio Balance +, Cardas Golden Ref. IC, Ortofon MC Anna, Sumiko Pearwood, ML 434, ML 380
    Maggie 3.6 R w/ Customized Mye Sound Supports, REL Strata III
    Magnum Dynalab FT-101A
    Shunyata Hydra 6 & 2, IC's pwr & spkr cbls
    Pwr, pre & TT are on custom feet w/ Rollerblock Jr races and grd 10 balls, custom room treatments designed, built and installed by Pete.

Comment

Originally posted by SteadyA810 View Post
      Myles,
      Is there any new information on the development of this one of a kind recorder? Are there any tapes available to the public that were recorded on this machine? I ask as i have just received a copy of Crazy Joe "The Doctor is in" from Andre and the sound being reproduced by my lowly A810 is very very nice and I would be very willing to purchase a tape made on the Magnesauraus if available that is.

Pete.
      What I know. All of Jim’s recordings were issued either on CD or LP on his Performance Recordings label. No tapes to my knowledge.

Jim does read the audio boards because a while ago I received an email from him chastising me not listing some D2D recordings on my top LPs list. Jim does have a website; perhaps drop him an email to gauge his interest.

One thing. Wonder if he still has the deck? I contacted Kavi Alexander years ago about getting copies of two of his recordings. He had, unfortunately, sold his deck. Perhaps someone like Bruce or Jonathan could get ahold of the tapes and make copies available?

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 and Thoress Mk. 2 phonostages; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/12-inch Fat Boy, Klaudio arm, Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• Rob
        Rob commented
        Editing a comment
        i had all of the Performance Recordings back in the day, they were basically of him performing on piano, no? What I recall is that they put me to sleep and didn't hold my attention. that said, my taste (appreciation) has evolved since but I don't recall them being 'special' sounding in the audiophile sense.

• MylesBAstor
        MylesBAstor commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes.

I seem to remember the PR LPs being on the dry side. Jim, however, gave great talks on music at the Stereophile shows in those days.

I don't remember the Boyk performances or recordings to be that special. A predecessor to the Magnesaurus was David Jones' 1/2 inch 30 IPS Ampex that he used for the early Connoisseur Society recordings of Ivan Moravec and Ali Akbar Khan and the Bill Evans Village Vanguard sessions for Riverside. These recordings held up to the test of time! There are a few pics of his location gear in the New Orleans article below. 30 IPS 1/2 inch 2 track was pretty much unheard of in the early 1960s and did not come into widespread use until 25 or 30 years later.

http://stomp-off.blogspot.com/2009/1...eans-1961.html

Comment

Good Gawd, what a great link. I'm a New Orleans native.

Comment

Originally posted by U47 View Post
          I don't remember the Boyk performances or recordings to be that special. A predecessor to the Magnesaurus was David Jones' 1/2 inch 30 IPS Ampex that he used for the early Connoisseur Society recordings of Ivan Moravec and Ali Akbar Khan and the Bill Evans Village Vanguard sessions for Riverside. These recordings held up to the test of time! There are a few pics of his location gear in the New Orleans article below. 30 IPS 1/2 inch 2 track was pretty much unheard of in the early 1960s and did not come into widespread use until 25 or 30 years later.

http://stomp-off.blogspot.com/2009/1...eans-1961.html
          Thanks for sharing that great blog!

I had tried unsuccessfully for years to track down David Jones to interview. But at least this confirmed my unconfirmed suspicion that Jones was the recording engineer behind both the amazing Connoisseur Society Recordings and the eponymous Evans VV live recordings. Wow! Neither did I realize the Evans recordings were 30 ips. Or am I mistaken?

Jones seems to have dropped off the face of the earth. Last “credible”piece of information I had was Jones had left left the recording industry and became a postman. But who knows. Certainly retired by now.

Another person who has dropped off the planet is Alan Silver. Tried to recently get a line on him for Jonathan H. without success. So I’d be very grateful if anyone might know where the great Alan Silver of Connoisseur Records fame is currently living?

Comment

• jonathanhorwich
            jonathanhorwich commented
            Editing a comment
            Myles, yes, I'd die to get some of the Connoisseur Society tapes out if we can find Alan Silver. Anyone know anything about where Alan is or how to contact him?

• MylesBAstor
            MylesBAstor commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m keeping my ear to the ground but no luck.

Wow that video link was great even across my little computer headphones. I would be very grateful for any direction on how to obtain these recordings.
          My hats off to those visionaries of the day who recorded this music.

Regards,

Pete.
          Studer A810, VPI ScoutMaster, center clamp, periphery ring, SDS, JMW 10.5 w/adj.VTA, ClearAudio Balance +, Cardas Golden Ref. IC, Ortofon MC Anna, Sumiko Pearwood, ML 434, ML 380
          Maggie 3.6 R w/ Customized Mye Sound Supports, REL Strata III
          Magnum Dynalab FT-101A
          Shunyata Hydra 6 & 2, IC's pwr & spkr cbls
          Pwr, pre & TT are on custom feet w/ Rollerblock Jr races and grd 10 balls, custom room treatments designed, built and installed by Pete.

Comment

Great article! I have a friend who owns and uses an Ampex 351. It sounds great, although not the most transparent compared to something more modern, such as an ATR-102.

Comment

Working...
            X