What is your favorite blank tape?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your favorite blank tape?

Dr. Bruce Brown likes RMG900 but ATR tapes are good as well.
    What is your fav tape for recording or dubbing?

RTM (formerly RMG/Emtec/Pyral) SM900 is my favourite. In fact, I use all of the RTM tapes, which have been universally excellent.

Comment

SM468 has always been a personal fave, and it's been great at almost every stage of its existence dating back to AGFA PEM468. But SM900 is also awesome tape to be sure. One of the tapes my A810 is calibrated for is LPR35 for 1 mil use and it's outstanding in that application.
      TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
      VINYL: Denon DP59-L/Hana ML/ModWright PH 9.0; Pioneer PL-50LII/Dynavector 20xH
      DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, Marantz NA6006/Pioneer N-50, Schiit Bifrost
      SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9, Velodyne FSR-15
      AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

ATR - made in PA!

Comment

I don't record live performances, just make dubs. I use RTM also. My current choices are SM911 for standard tape and LPR35 for long playing tape. I also have had good success with the older SM468 formulation. Tape Project started with SM468 for their dubs and then switched to SM911. I have had very good success with the RTM tapes in their various incarnations. I have a bunch of very old Scotch 207, but it hasn't held up that well (a bit of shedding, though not like the horrible sticky shed). I would avoid older tapes outside the RTM family that are advertised on the internet, often for cheap. They could well be SS tapes and worth only the metal reels minus the time and effort to unspool and throw away the tape. Not much experience with ATR tapes, except I went through a case or two of 1/2" tape that someone provided, which worked with no issues.

Larry
          Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
          Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
          Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
          Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
          Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
          Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
          Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.7KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

I often wonder why companies choose RTM vs. ATR?

Most reissuing labels seem to favor RTM/RMG but Chasing the Dragon uses ATR MDS-36 though Mike is sending me one recording done on ATR 2400 Master Formulation for comparison.
            Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
            Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
            -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
            -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
            -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
            -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
            -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
            -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
            -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
            -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
            -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

• Skylab
              Skylab commented
              Editing a comment
              I have wondered this myself. For the average joe, ATR is a more expensive tape. But I assume that companies releasing tape titles like TP and AS will be able to make bulk buys that get the cost of both tapes down and in a similar range?

I've use RMG 900 and LPR35 with consistant results recently ordered a couple of reel of ATR. Personally I don't like the ATR plastic storage cases much prefer the RMG boxes.
            System 1- Wilson Alexia 2, Pass XA100.8, Pass XP-32, Pass XP27 phono, Esoteric K1X, P1, G1, Aurender N10, Avid Acutus Ref with SME V and Koetsu Onyx, Studer 807 with Flux heads, J-Corder flux heads direct balanced output, Doshi 3.0 tape preamp, Kimber Select silver, Cardas Clear Beyond power.
            System 2 - Harbeth 40.3 XD, Magnepan MMG (rear), Pass X-250.5, Marantz (rear), Pass XP-22, Parasound preamp, Pass XP17, SME 20/3 with SME V & Lyra Atlas & Titan I, OPPO 205, Sony SCD-5400ES, Revox Modified PR99, Revox B77, Teac X2000M, Kimber Select hybrid silver/copper
            System 3 - Luxman L-505 UXII, Project Classic SP, Hana SL, JBL L-100 Classic, Oppo 205

Comment

I think this sheds some info on the making and reason for selection.

http://www.recordingthemasters.com/w...eMakeTapes.pdf

http://www.recordingthemasters.com/machine-adjustment/
              Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
              Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
              -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
              -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
              -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
              -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
              -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
              -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
              -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
              -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
              -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Here's a new review from Greg on PF - https://positive-feedback.com/audio-...p-9-vs-sm-900/

Greg - does leaving ATR Magnetics out of your article mean it doesn't meet your standards? Given the niche-ness of tape which you note in your article I would have expected coverage on ATR.
                Magnepan 1.7i, VMPS Large Sub, Belden 5000 Speaker Cable, Synthesis 510 AC Integrated Amplifier, Celtic Dragon & Grover EX+ Interconnects, Crown SX 722 R/R, Nakamichi RX 202 Cassette Deck, PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier, Clearaudio Solution Turntable, Clearaudio Satisfy Tone Arm, Clearaudio Concerto V2 Cartridge, Clearaudio Smart Syncro, Belkin AP41300 Power Conditioner/Surge Protector, Transparent Power Cables

Comment

• Greg Beron
                  Greg Beron commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Actually Scott, what I wrote wasn't about one tape vs the other, why do that?
                  I am actually super happy we have two sources for great tapes available, it wasn't that long ago that we had NONE!
                  I simply have nothing negative whatsoever to say about ATR tapes.

My story was simply about being faced with the tape formula I liked being gone from every Guitar Center or other source I could find, so I started to panic! Thanks to Don Morris with RMGI America's INC, he sent me some free samples to try out and made it very easy to get into a new line of tapes.

Actually it would be great to have another company or two producing blank tape, right?
                  Both ATR and Record The Masters are producing some great stuff and have established a high mark for any other company thinking about producing blank tapes.

RMG900
                Christian
                System Gear

Comment

Always liked TDK SA

Comment

• Bruce B
                    Bruce B commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I was a Maxell guy back in the day!

I noticed that Spicit is now carrying a new brand (at least to me). It is called Capture and comes in both 1.5mil and 1.0mil. It is a standard bias tape +2.5db and according to a review from Mono and Stereo High-End, was started by the Cunninghams who own Splicit. It is a fair bit cheaper than Recording the Masters or ATR. Haven't tried it.

Larry

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2016/03...-block_23.html
                  Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
                  Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
                  Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
                  Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
                  Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
                  Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
                  Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.7KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Originally posted by astrotoy View Post
                    Tape Project started with SM468 for their dubs and then switched to SM911.
                    Larry
                    Larry,

We did indeed start with 468 and it worked well for us for a long time. And we did indeed switch, but not to SM911. We switched to ATR, and have been using it (mostly) ever since. We have never used SM911 for our dupes.
                    Paul Stubblebine
                    Mastering Engineer
                    Label Honcho, The Tape Project

Comment

• Tapetech
                      Tapetech commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's a big change (going from a +3 op level tape to a +9 op level tape)

Are your dupes made with ATR recorded at +9 operating level, or something more conservative? (+3 or +6)

• astrotoy
                      astrotoy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks, Paul. My mistake. Larry

• Bodyslam
                      Bodyslam commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Tapetech,
                      It is our practice to align at +3. Then we put the program levels where we want them, taking into account both the capabilities of the tape and the capabilities of the machines we assume will be playing back our tapes. Even if that means the meters are sometimes reading a little hot, we know we still have plenty of headroom. Also, we aren't interested in slamming the most level on the tape; we don't particularly want tape compression. We would rather take some of the advantage of the wider dynamic range tapes as greater headroom, more ease of the presentation, and a more natural portrayal of dynamics.

SM900.
                    Disappointed with ATR tape, recently
                    Vbr,

Sam

Comment

• c1ferrari
                      c1ferrari commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hi Dre_J,

Having one of my A-820/2CH recorders mechanically and electrically overhauled by Vertigo Recording Services. Charlie, my Studer tech, informed me the ATR stock would not hold 1 kHz during an audio alignment. The RTM stock was rock solid during alignment. Charlie had fresh 1/4" and 1/2" tape stock from both manufacturers. Ugh!

• MylesBAstor
                      MylesBAstor commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Gary mentioned something in his writeup about the recent Bisson recording that Bernie had some issues with the ATR tape. Seems Bernie tests every reel before using it.

• c1ferrari
                      c1ferrari commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes, at the professional level, tape must be consistent. Should I ever develop the alacrity -- I'll check the bias of every tape before recording.

Originally posted by Metamatic View Post
                    Always liked TDK SA
                    For cassette, I liked Super Avilyn, too!
                    Vbr,

Sam

Comment

Working...
                    X