This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips When Buying A Tape Machine

One of America's top analog techs explains what to look for, plus maintenance tips once you own one.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
    -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Mr. Astor,
    Thank you for providing that website as a reference check if you will for any and all future tape machine purchases. I currently have a Studer A810 that has been kept in top shape by Roger Ginsley in Pickering Ontario Canada. I would like to know if you are aware of a website or search engine of sorts that may be able to tell me off of the serial number of Steady as to just what year he was manufactured. Just a curiosity is all.

Pete.
    Studer A810, VPI ScoutMaster, center clamp, periphery ring, SDS, JMW 10.5 w/adj.VTA, ClearAudio Balance +, Cardas Golden Ref. IC, Ortofon MC Anna, Sumiko Pearwood, ML 434, ML 380
    Maggie 3.6 R w/ Customized Mye Sound Supports, REL Strata III
    Magnum Dynalab FT-101A
    Shunyata Hydra 6 & 2, IC's pwr & spkr cbls
    Pwr, pre & TT are on custom feet w/ Rollerblock Jr races and grd 10 balls, custom room treatments designed, built and installed by Pete.

Comment

• Skylab
      Skylab commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Pete,

I have an 810, wonderful machine. I’m not sure how to decode the serial number, but are you aware that when you first power on the 810 that the tape counter displays the date of the firmware? This is perhaps more important than when the unit was built.

Originally posted by SteadyA810 View Post
    Mr. Astor,
    Thank you for providing that website as a reference check if you will for any and all future tape machine purchases. I currently have a Studer A810 that has been kept in top shape by Roger Ginsley in Pickering Ontario Canada. I would like to know if you are aware of a website or search engine of sorts that may be able to tell me off of the serial number of Steady as to just what year he was manufactured. Just a curiosity is all.

Pete.
    Hi Pete!

I don’t but sure someone here does. Not sure if the Studer List is still active.

Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
    -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

The Studer list is still active.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Miyajima Madake, Miyajima Zero, Benz Micro LPS; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Studer A812; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Comment

Skylab, Myles & dminches thank you kindly for your responses toward my query. Skylab I will pay attention to the firmware dates as you have indicated and yes the date for the last update is logically more relevant than the manufacture date. I was just curious about how old he is.

Pete.
        Studer A810, VPI ScoutMaster, center clamp, periphery ring, SDS, JMW 10.5 w/adj.VTA, ClearAudio Balance +, Cardas Golden Ref. IC, Ortofon MC Anna, Sumiko Pearwood, ML 434, ML 380
        Maggie 3.6 R w/ Customized Mye Sound Supports, REL Strata III
        Magnum Dynalab FT-101A
        Shunyata Hydra 6 & 2, IC's pwr & spkr cbls
        Pwr, pre & TT are on custom feet w/ Rollerblock Jr races and grd 10 balls, custom room treatments designed, built and installed by Pete.

Comment

Actually there are two Studer lists currently operating. In addition to the one mentioned above, you can find one on Yahoo groups. They are both useful.
          Paul Stubblebine
          Mastering Engineer
          Label Honcho, The Tape Project

Comment

Working...
          X