Revox B77 mkII or Teac X-1000r

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revox B77 mkII or Teac X-1000r

I am considering each for a first deck. Any comments or suggestions?
    Writer for HiFi+ Magazine
    VPI Scout 1.1 w/ Dynavector 10X5, Roon, PS Audio: DirectStream Memory Player, Directstream DSD DAC, BHK Pre, BHK 300 Mono's, Vandersteen Treo CT's, AudioQuest CastleRock speaker cables, MacKenzie interconnects and Diamond USB.

What is it that you want to do with the deck? The B77 MkII comes in several different configurations - ranging from 1/4 track (“4-track”) 3.75/7.5 ips and 1/2 track (2-track) 7.5/15 ips. The TEAC X-1000R is always 1/4 track (“4-track”) 3.75/7.5 ips. So if you want to play tapes from The Tape Project etc, then you need the B77II, and the right kind. Also, the B77II will need to be recapped to be reliable. Beyond that however it’s a better machine than the X1000R, which is a nice machine but with some well documented potential issues.
    TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20, 3030; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
    VINYL: VPI ScoutMaster/Benz LP-S MR/EAR 834P; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
    SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9
    AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

Primarily play tape. I am looking for something that is a good player for the audio system. I am not interested in recording.
      VPI Scout 1.1 w/ Dynavector 10X5, Roon, PS Audio: DirectStream Memory Player, Directstream DSD DAC, BHK Pre, BHK 300 Mono's, Vandersteen Treo CT's, AudioQuest CastleRock speaker cables, MacKenzie interconnects and Diamond USB.

Comment

So in that case, assuming you want to play the tapes currently being made which are overwhelmingly 15 ips 2-track, you would want a B77II that is configured for such.
        TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20, 3030; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909

Comment

Here is an example of what I am seeing available. I have no idea if it is properly configured as I do not know what to look for yet. http://www.ebay.com/itm/REVOX-B77-Mk....c100009.m1982

Comment

• Skylab
            Skylab commented
            Editing a comment
            No, that deck will NOT play tape project tapes. It’s listed as 3.75 ips and 1.78 ips (!) so it’s a rare, ultra-low speed version. Basically no use for an audiophile.

What's crazy is Lee Perry recorded that seminal album, The Congos, Heart of the Congo on a Teac 2340 0r 3340. Remember those? (I may have my model numbers wrong). Basically a 4 track machine that was considered "Pro-sumer." He created an amazing array of sounds and effects, with some of the best session guys in Jamaica, bouncing tracks on what was essentially a consumer machine that could be bought in chain stores at the time. The record is legendary and highly recommended even if you don't like reggae- it transcends genre. (Buy the OOP Blood & Fire remaster, and not the OOP Simply Vinyl reissue of the B&F, which is significantly inferior).
          Back to the gear....

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post
            What's crazy is Lee Perry recorded that seminal album, The Congos, Heart of the Congo on a Teac 2340 0r 3340. Remember those? (I may have my model numbers wrong). Basically a 4 track machine that was considered "Pro-sumer." He created an amazing array of sounds and effects, with some of the best session guys in Jamaica, bouncing tracks on what was essentially a consumer machine that could be bought in chain stores at the time. The record is legendary and highly recommended even if you don't like reggae- it transcends genre. (Buy the OOP Blood & Fire remaster, and not the OOP Simply Vinyl reissue of the B&F, which is significantly inferior).
            Back to the gear....
            That sounds like fun!

Comment

Originally posted by longbowbbs View Post
              Here is an example of what I am seeing available. I have no idea if it is properly configured as I do not know what to look for yet. http://www.ebay.com/itm/REVOX-B77-Mk....c100009.m1982
              The description indicates that the speed would have to be changed to 15/7.5ips to be useful for playing music tapes. Don't know if that just means changing some internal switches or something more fundamental. The price looks attractive, although the description implied to me that it needs a lot of work.

Larry
              Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre
              Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacMicroModel2
              Dig Play-mch NADAC, Emotion, HQPlayer, Oppo95
              Electronics-Herron VTSP3APre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
              Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
              Other-ArtKelmGroundOne IsoTrans,AudioDiskeSystemVinylClea ner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects, Power Supply
              Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

It’s not possible to change the speed of a deck like that via internal switches or any other simple means. In addition to the actual running speed, decks require different EQ settings for any given speed.

Comment

If you are comparing the Revox B77 MKii with the Teac x-1000R then I’m going to assume that you want a quarter track deck with 3 3/4 and 7 1/2 since that is the only configuration that the X-1000R comes in.
                  In that case I’d chose the B77 MKII since it sounds better. It lacks the transport and features (auto reverse) of the Teac but wins on pure sound quality. I’d strongly suggest that before using either deck you send which ever one you chose to either JM Technical Arts in Nashville (Revox) or New Jersey Factory Service, Inc (Teac/Tascam). Both do amazing work bring these decks back to factory specifications.
                  System 1- Wilson Alexia, ARC GS150, Ref 6, Ref 3, Esoteric K-01x, Avid Acutus Ref with SME V and Lyra Atlas, Otari with flux magnetic so heads modded for direct output, Bottlehead Tube Repro, Teac X-2000M, Kimber Selects.
                  System 2 - Magnepan 3.7, Magnepan MMG (rear), Pass X-250.5, Marantz (rear), Conrad Johnson ET-5, Sim Audio Phono, VPI Classic 4 with 12" 3D arm and Lyra Titan i, OPPO 105, Sony SCD-5400ES, Revox B-77, Revox A-77, Kimber Selects.

Comment

Thanks for the service recommendations Tommy!

Comment

Working...
                    X