Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grave channel unbalance

Hey guys!

when playing a prerecorded tape (opus 3) there level on the left channel is much higher than on the right. What to do?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4365.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	567.1 KB
ID:	69374

Originally posted by Per Sundell View Post
    Hey guys!

when playing a prerecorded tape (opus 3) there level on the left channel is much higher than on the right. What to do?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4365.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	567.1 KB
ID:	69374
    Is it like that all the way through the tape or just on part of one song? None of your other tapes do that?
    SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek, SME 312S arm, Dyna XV-1S cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, and NOLA KO speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

• Per Sundell
      Per Sundell commented
      Editing a comment
      Thats the average through the whole tape. I took a tape home from work aswell. It had the same problem.Both tapes are CCIR and it dawned on me that my Revox might just be NAB. But would that affect channel balance? (None of the tapes that I recorded on my Revox has this problem.)

Which Opus 3 tape is it. I have 11 of them, so it may be one I have to compare. IIRC, they do copying from their master tapes as they are ordered, so it may be a copying problem for just your tape. Obviously, you need to confirm Mark's question.

Larry
    Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacMicroModel2
    Dig Play-mch NADAC, Emotion, HQPlayer, Oppo95
    Electronics-Herron VTSP3APre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-ArtKelmGroundOne IsoTrans,AudioDiskeSystemVinylClea ner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects, Power Supply
    Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

My advice: 1) Clean the heads even if done recently 2) try and find a solo piano or solo instrument tape in your collection and play it. Or any tape you know for sure has a center sound. After playing it and If centered (generally) your'e okay. You have a reference. If not centered, it is your playback chain. 3) Now play the Opus tape. If still high in the left channel it is the tape (assuming the solo piano or other tape is centered).
      JLH

Comment

Let us know how it turned out, Per.
        Vbr,

Sam

Comment

JLH has given some good advise which I'll also add, Demag your heads. Head magnetization can and will delete the highs from a tape.
          Digital (HDCD): Yaqin SD-32A
          Tape Decks: Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2 (X2) and BII-2H
          Turntable: VPI Prime Signature, ADS, Periphery Clamp
          Cartridges/Arms: Soundsmith Voice on JMW 10 3DR & Lyra Delos on JMW 10 3D
          Phono Preamp: Zestos Andros PS1
          Amp: Manley Stingray II Amp
          Speakers: Madisound Zaph ZRT 2.5 Speakers, Dual Homemade 10" Subs
          Accessories: VPI 16.5, Parasound ZPhono USB, JTP Cables, Homemade Dual Cartridge Timers with Remote Trigger

Comment

Had a similar experience this weekend - examined the head carefully (I thought) but the problem remained. Looked again and there was a little goober towards the center of the left channel pole piece.

Realized I used "bad lighting" the first time around.

"Some goobers lurk in the shadows!"

Like the rest of life.

Charles

Comment

You could write that in your sig line, Charles.
              Vbr,

Sam

Comment

Flip the tape over and play it backwards. See which of the below applies.

-If the imbalance problem remains the same (same channels are too high or too low), then the fault is with your tape deck. Perhaps a dirty monitor switch.

-If the imbalance problem switches channels, then the tape is at fault.

Comment

This could be:

a) problem with the tape recorder

b) problem with the tape

Ideally I would use a test tape and a set of external PPM meters (more accurate than VUs) with mono/sum function (or alternatively an oscilloscope on X-Y Lissajous mode) to check

i) repro head azimuth and
                  ii) repro playback levels

If the repro head azimuth is out of alignment, you will lose high frequencies. You need to check and set up the repro levels with a test tape and PPMs to ensure that playback is calibrated properly.

Does the Opus 3 tape have test tones recorded? If it does, then the Opus 3 test tone levels should be identical on both channels (either at -4 or -10 dB on VU at zero level depending on which standard the Opus 3 machines were recorded at).

If the machine is lined up perfectly on the repro side using the test tape and the levels are out of balance on the Opus 3 test tones, then you will have to adjust the playback levels on your machine to match the two channels (to match the recording levels on the Opus 3 recorder).

Charlie

Comment

Thanks for all suggestions guys. Havent had the time to experiment for a few days but I will keep posting.

Comment

Working...
                    X