Studer A81 Tape Machine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studer A81 Tape Machine

Click image for larger version  Name:	image1(1).png Views:	1 Size:	1.74 MB ID:	92382
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
    -Ensemble Fuoco hybrid integrated amplifier
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

The Informative, Studer A81 Tape Machine, resource

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

The Studer A81 is a further development of the Studer A80. Only about 300 of them were built specifically for German broadcasting.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Did you find one,Myles?
          TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
          VINYL: Pioneer PL-50LII/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
          DIGITAL: Oppo BDP-95, MacMini > Oppo Sonica/Pioneer N-50
          SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9
          AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

Ha no! Not until I get a bigger room.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

If you want your oxides out ,it is said that the A816 is the best Studer ever made. I read somewhere that when Telefunken was in trouble they approached Studer for a buy-out. Studer declined but did take some Telefunken engineers on board. Result-the A816, developed for German broadcast to replace the ageing Telefunken M15s. True? probably not but a nice story about what is reportedly the best sounding tape recorder ever.

A816-a by jdza, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by JDZA View Post
                If you want your oxides out ,it is said that the A816 is the best Studer ever made. I read somewhere that when Telefunken was in trouble they approached Studer for a buy-out. Studer declined but did take some Telefunken engineers on board. Result-the A816, developed for German broadcast to replace the ageing Telefunken M15s. True? probably not but a nice story about what is reportedly the best sounding tape recorder ever.

A816-a by jdza, on Flickr
                Thanks! Your knowledge of the history of these machines is amazing,

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Oh, yes! The fabled A-816 for German's radio stations is a reality and up for sale in Europe almost every month. The last one I saw went for 4,800 euros. The original cabinet was something else as it actually decoupled the machine from the floor. Heavy as hell. It's a very nice one, but since only 300 or so were made, parts are almost non-existent. Other rarities, like the A-88 trainers, pops up from time to time. I have studied Studer/Revox for some time now and it doesn't stop to amaze me. The famous Daniel Weiss was an Studer digital engineer before establishing his own brand, etc. The first B-710 used Sony heads and later were replaced by Canon heads on the B-215,etc. A lot of hidden information, very interesting, is out there. It's juts a matter of research.
                  Sketsoteric Audio: "Analog Sound, Digital Flexibility"
                  http://mortechpr.wixsite.com/cassetteadventures
                  http://mortechpr.wixsite.com/cgmasteringservices

Comment

Was/is there a technical reason for storing the tape oxide side out? I occasionally will mess up and put the leader tape on backwards and end up rewinding a tape oxide side out by mistake! Of course, now I know what kind of machine I need to playback the tape in that condition. :-)

Larry

Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
                    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
                    Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
                    Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
                    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
                    Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
                    Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

The very first pre war AEG Magnetophons had oxide out. The Germans just stuck with it. Not sure who decided that oxide in is preferable.Patent issues?

Ton_S.b,_tape_unit by jdza, on Flickr

Comment

Back to the A81. I see in the article Myles referred to that the A81 was simply an A80 with heads flipped. I thought so too and once bought a tape counter for an A81 for my A80. Didn't work. I behaved weirdly. I had to go to quite some trouble to get the correct board for rhe counter. My early A80s came with mechanical counters where a stepper motor drove the counter via a series of gears. The actual counter rings get brittle with time and break.

My Tech has a perverse way of showing his irritation with my constant nagging: He takes a portable AM radio,tuned slightly off-station and sweeps it over my gear. The results are shocking: We spend so much money on all sorts of cables and isolation measures while our gear generates huge amounts of RF by itself. My best performing piece was the A80,until I changed the counters to digital! A 810 and A820s are absolute monsters in RF generation with my PS Power Plant P10 display panel almost as bad!

Comment

Great idea! Cheap RF detector. But what is an AM radio? Larry
                          Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
                          Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
                          Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
                          Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
                          Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
                          Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
                          Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

• JDZA
                            JDZA commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I assume sarcasm here so I'll just apologise for even mentioning such a mundane 5 penny device and for going off topic.

I will just say though that this little FM/AM radio has allowed me to identify sources of RF in my system and take simple measures to eliminate them. In the vicinity of audio equipment SMPS in network switches,LED strip-and spotlights have been replaced by simple power supplies ,cables rerouted and simple blocking capacitors where appropriate have removed levels of harshness and lowered the noisefloor to a more significant degree than most other (expensive) band-aids.
                        Working...
                        X