X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tape Recorder Restore, Repair and Supply Resource Guide

Hi Myles,

Could we have a sticky for this information? Larry

It would be great to have people or companies which have been used by the poster.

My go to tape supply place:

Splicit Reel Audio Products in Portland OR
    www.splicit.com
    Blank tape, reels, supplies
    Good prices and fast Delivery
    Carries Recording the Masters Tape and Capture Tape (I think that is an exclusive). They don't carry ATR tape.
    I buy both 1/4" and 1/2" tape from them including pancakes and reel tape.

Here is my SF Bay Area northern California Tape repair person"

Krieg Wunderlich
    [email protected]
    I use Krieg to service my two Ampex ATR-102's. He also does Studers. He is MoFi's tech as well as Tape Project's tech (I got his name from Paul Stubblebine)
    Krieg does work all over the greater Bay area and beyond. Great tech.

This tech is in Chicago.

Soren Wittrup
    [email protected]
    I was connected to Soren by Jonathan Horwich. Soren did some repair and modification work for my first Ampex ATR-102 which I bought through Jonathan in Chicago. He modified the two head stacks to accommodate my external tape prepro. A great tape tech.

This company is in York, PA

ATR Services
    atrservices.com
    Specializes in the repair and restoration of Ampex ATR-100 series. They are the go to place for all ATR-100 parts and also produce their own brand of tape.
    I bought the 1/2" head stack for my first ATR-102 from them, and my second ATR-102 was a machine that they had restored about a decade ago (Mike Spitz did the work back then). I bought it used from the studio that had bought the machine from ATR. Mike, who founded the company, passed away in 2013,

This company is in NJ

jrfmagnetics.com
    John French specializes in tape head relapping, making tape head function like new. I think he is the go to person for head relapping. I have had John relap my Ampex head blocks as well as my old Otari head blocks

This company is in northern CA

Fluxmagnetics.com
    Greg Orton specializes in fabricating new replacement heads for tape recorders. Many people (including me) prefer them over stock heads. I have several FM heads in my Ampex machines as well in my previous Technics 1506. Most recently I had Greg install a 1/4 track playback head in one of my Ampex head blocks, along with a small switch, so I could playback both 1/4 track and 1/2 track stereo tapes with the head.

Please feel free to add your own recommendations:

Larry

Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
    Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
    Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
    Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Good info Larry.
    Question, would you consider replacing the head on a 5050 with a ceramic head. I heard ceramic are bullet proof and don't get magnetized. Is that true, and of course, do they sound as good as stock that has been lapped once. Lets assume it was a good lap job.
    PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI preamp,
    Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
    Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects.

Comment

• jonathanhorwich
      jonathanhorwich commented
      Editing a comment
      Not sure where you're reading that metal heads get easily or even commonly magnetized. Maybe it is true and I'm not aware of it. I know, shipping or moving the tape deck calls for demagnetizing as you've moved the heads in relation to earth's fields. And the movement of the tapes over the heads is said to slowly build up magnetism. But other than that or terrible demagnetizing technique, I don't see how you could magnetize your heads easily. If you de-mag every few weeks or so of light tape use with a good demagnetizer you'll never have a problem. I demag more often as I run more tape.
      Last edited by jonathanhorwich; 04-08-2019, 03:40 PM.

Another solid endorsement for Soren’s work here!
    Speakers: Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III on Stillpoints Ultra 5S feet
    Amplifier: Silver Circle Audio 300B Monoblocks with Takatsuki 300B tubes
    Preamp: TW Acustic RPA-100 Line Stage
    Phono Stage: TW Acustic RPS-100
    Turntable - TW Acustic Raven AC w/ Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades
    Tonearm: Kuzma 4-Point 14" with Air Tight Opus-1 Cartridge
    Tonearm: TW 10.5" with Miyajima Zero Mono
    Vinyl Care: Audio Desk Pro Ultrasonic & VPI 16.5 RCM
    CD/SACD: Playback Designs MP-5 to Bricasti M1 DAC
    Tape: Tascam 42B-NB (Refurb by Soren Wittrup)
    Tape Stage: Doshi V.3
    Power Conditioner: (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6
    Wire: Custom Furutech PC's & IC's + Inakustik LS-4004 Air Speaker Cables
    Tweaks: Stillpoints Aperture II Panels & Stillpoints Ultra 5S's & SS's sprinkled about - SRA Ohio Class and Symposium Super Plus Platforms

Comment

Originally posted by Kingrex View Post
      Good info Larry.
      Question, would you consider replacing the head on a 5050 with a ceramic head. I heard ceramic are bullet proof and don't get magnetized. Is that true, and of course, do they sound as good as stock that has been lapped once. Lets assume it was a good lap job.
      Hi Rex, I don't have any experience with ceramic heads on the 5050. I did have a 5050 BIII, but with standard heads. Not sure whether the ceramic is the same as a glass ferrite head like the ones that came with my old Akai 747dbx. Those head were supposed to last forever. However the electronics on the Akai were definitely consumer transistor mediocre. Not sure whether that also applied to the sound quality of the heads.

I'll have to defer to people with more expertise than me.

Larry
      Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
      Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
      Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
      Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
      Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
      Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
      Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

I don't even know why I'm asking. I think I'm just afraid I will ruin valuable and hard to replace software by not demagnetizing the heads properly. I'm a little freaked out. And your right about it being glass ferrite heads, not ceramic.
        Thanks.
        PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI preamp,
        Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
        Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects.

Comment

Maybe not the perfect place to put this, but an interesting read, for me, on heads

http://www.jrfmagnetics.com/tapeheadintro.html

Comment

Third thumbs-up for Soren in the Chicago area (he's actually just west of Valparaiso, IN). And also thumbs up to JRF Magnetics, who relapped my Studer A810 heads and cleaned the headblock, and also Athan Corp. in San Francisco for motor rebuilds and pinch rollers for Studer and other pro machines.

John C.
            Tape Decks: Studer A810; Tascam BR20; Nak CR4A; Nak ZX-9; Nak ZX-7.
            Other: Magneplanar 1.6QR; Paradigm Servo 15; Musical Fidelity A5; Meridian G61; Shiit Bifrost Multibit; Schiit Lyr; Sennheiser HD650; Roon; Tidal; various Macs as digital music servers

Comment

• astrotoy
              astrotoy commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks. I bought a replacement pinch roller from Athan for my Otari MX5050BIII a few years ago. I actually went down to their facility near SFO to pick up the part and had a nice talk with the owner. It is a pretty good sized facility with some precision equipment.

Larry

We should also include the following persons.

Fred Thal
            Charlie Bolois
            Steve Smith
            Jeff Jacobs
            Dan Schmalle
            Tim de Paravicini
            Todor at MTSL
            Fabio Liberatore

Comment

• astrotoy
              astrotoy commented
              Editing a comment
              Bruce, thanks. Could you give a brief summary of what each of these folks do and where they are located?

• MylesBAstor
              MylesBAstor commented
              Editing a comment
              Dan is now an authorized Nagra repair shop.

• c1ferrari
              c1ferrari commented
              Editing a comment
              Vertigo Recording Services, i.e., Charlie Bolois, has been servicing my Studer A-820/2CH recorders, exclusively, for approximately a decade, now. I've also entrusted VRS to service my Studer 962 mixer.

Russ Backman - TEAC/Tascam-New Jersey
            Bob "Midnight" Shuster - Studer, Otari, Sony,etc-New York
            Giombattista Currado - Studer/Revox-Italy
            Sam Palermo - Tascam, Sony, Technics, Akai-Chicago
            Revox Germany- Totally restored Studer/Revox components and service- Germany
            Chuck Ziska; ALL CROWN - Florida
            Sketsoteric Audio: "Analog Sound, Digital Flexibility"
            http://mortechpr.wixsite.com/cassetteadventures
            http://mortechpr.wixsite.com/cgmasteringservices

Comment

• MylesBAstor
              MylesBAstor commented
              Editing a comment
              Rich Brown/U47 just had two 812s overhauled by Bob Schuster.

• El Magnifico
              El Magnifico commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep! He's a legend in New York.

I have used Sam Palermo / Skywave Tape Deck Repair (Chicagoland) numerous times. He does incredibly high quality work. He was the lead repair tech at TEAC USA. Only issue is he is usually backed up 3-6 months and you cannot get in queue until he has your deck.

Marc Bischoff / Tinman (Los Angeles) is also great with Revox / Studer - he did a complete overhaul of my Revox B77 MkII and it’s flawless - but I’m not sure how much he is willing to do anymore. I know he will no longer work on A807 decks.
            TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
            VINYL: Pioneer PL-50LII/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
            DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, MacMini > Oppo Sonica/Pioneer N-50
            SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9
            AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

• El Magnifico
              El Magnifico commented
              Editing a comment
              Tinman is excellent and very affordable. I just bought his PR-99 MK iii like new for a very affordable sum.

• El Magnifico
              El Magnifico commented
              Editing a comment
              Sam is good. Russ was his boss. Unfortunately, his lead time is ridiculous long.

Terry Palmer in Tennessee is ex-Otari. He worked on both of my MX-5050 MKIIs and did a great job for a reasonable cost.
            Roger Ginsley in Toronto redid both of my Studer A810s. Great work. Texktronic is his company.
            Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Miyajima Madake, Miyajima Zero, Benz Micro LPS; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Studer A812; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Comment

• El Magnifico
              El Magnifico commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey Minch, could you please post the contact info for Terry Palmer? I might need service for my 5050. Thanks!

+1 for Roger Ginsley - excellent Studer certified tech and a great guy. I had him service / recap an A80RC I purchased in Toronto before it was shipped to me. It arrived running flawlessly and his service fees were quite reasonable.

Also - he has deep-serviced / rebuilt close to 100 A810s at this point and takes shipped in decks (as dminches did), so is worthy of consideration even if you're not in his area.

Comment

If one needs all tape machines' pinch roller rebuilt:

http://www.terrysrubberrollers.com/

If one needs master recorders' pinch rollers, motors rebuilt, and/or needs replacement bearings:

https://www.athan.com/

Comment

• Bruce B
                Bruce B commented
                Editing a comment
                For some reason Fred does not like Athan for rebuilds and recommended a company in France. Do you know which one he is talking about? I've really never had a problem with Athan and they have rebuilt 9 of my motors!

Unfortunately I don't know the French motor rebuild company.

My only comment on Athan's motor rebuild is that he doesn't test the motor after his work from what I can tell. But can't imagine George having all of those different master recorders in his shop to test their motors after rebuild either.

Comment

Possible source for tape head related work:

AMP SERVICES

561 333-0335

Tom Rappolt<[email protected]>

Tom contacted me few years back to offer his service in relapping Studer heads. I have not used his services yet but would be a backup option to the trusted JRF Magnetics.

I don't think Tom would mind me sharing his contact info here.

Comment

Working...
                X