This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by srs148 View Post
    +1 for Roger Ginsley - excellent Studer certified tech and a great guy.
    Rog is my Studer tech, working on both my modified A80's for all the UltraAnalogue Recordings in the past 10 years... Great guy, meticulous & has parts & the know how to fix anything Studer... Ed

Comment

Hello. I found this company based in Massachusetts that supplies "7 and 10.5 reel cases. I am trying to support my local economy

https://www.universityproducts.com/

Comment

Originally posted by BobPoundMaxx View Post
      Hello. I found this company based in Massachusetts that supplies "7 and 10.5 reel cases. I am trying to support my local economy

https://www.universityproducts.com/
      Hi Bob and welcome to audionirvana! Thanks for your contribution to the list!

Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
      -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
      -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
      -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
      -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

For So. Cal owners with a prosumer Tascam/Otari/Technics, Adrian Constantine is reputable for repairs:
        http://adrianproaudio.com/services/
        Linn Kilmax LP12 | Channel D Lino C | innous ZENMini | Kii Three

Comment

Another Tape Supplier in addition to Splicit.

https://www.lunchboxaudio.com/

Lunchbox Audio near Seattle (Bellingham WA). Lunchbox is a dealer for both RTM (SM468, SM911, etc) and ATR. They provide excellent service and free shipping on orders over $99.

Larry

PS. I order from both Splicit and Lunchbox Audio. For Capture tapes Splicit and for ATR tapes Lunchbox. For RTM it depends on availability.
          Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
          Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
          Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
          Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
          Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
          Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
          Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Any Studer tech in the Southwest? I'm in Texas.

Comment

New Source for Otari MX5050 decks

Gene Walls (profaudio.comcast.net) is a retired professor living in Williamsport, PA. He specializes in restoring Otari MX5050's. He does about one to two a month! I had a friend buy one last fall and he is really happy with it. When I decided to buy an Otari for my daughter and son-in-law (have to encourage the next generation) I contacted Gene and bought one for them from him. It arrived on Monday (packed extremely well - took me more than 30 minutes to extract the machine from the packing). It was in beautiful condition and sounds great, playing both 15ips 2 track and 7.5ips 4 track. The advantage to the Otari is that it has both NAB and IEC EQ as well as a fourth head to playback 4 track stereo tapes. It also can play 15ips, 7.5ips and 3.75ips tapes. Gene opens up a small hole in the back of the machine so you can toggle to 3.75ips if you want without opening up the machine. You can also quite accurately adjust the bias and freq EQ for different recording tapes although I haven't tried recording on the Otari yet.

Here is what he did for the restoration of the machine I bought:

Otari MX-5050 BII 2

S/N 18308246 E

Restoration Procedures

1. Complete disassembly, cosmetic cleaning & condition assessment.

2. Complete internal mechanical disassembly, cleaning & re-lubrication.

3. Completely restored brakes for both supply and take-up reel assemblies.

4. Replaced both sets of brake assembly rubber & felt washers.

5. Replaced old capstan pinch roller with new.

6. Replaced pinch roller "PolySlider" slip washers with new.

7. Replaced 4 rear feet & screws with new heavy-duty rubber bumpers.

8. Replaced missing bottom feet with solid mahogany wood replacements.

9. Repaired Variable Pitch control.

10. Removed steel rack ear panels.

11. Replace damaged & missing screws & finish washers with new.

12. Adjusted critical height of both Reel tables.

13. Complete DeOxit cleaning and lubrication of all switches, connectors, contacts, potentiometers, trim pots, plugs and receptacles.

14. Repaired Auto-Shutoff tension arm and switch.

15. Re-soldered all suspicious connections on the main control PC board.

16. Precision alignment of all 4 Heads (Height, Zenith & Azimuth).

17. Installed "Hi-Lo" speed switch access port with a new rubber grommet.

18. Calibration of Pinch Roller tension.

19. Calibration of all brake tension adjustments.

20. Precision calibration of tape speed (all three speeds).

21. Complete demagnetization of tape heads and the entire tape path.

22. Complete cleaning of tape heads and the entire tape path.

23. Precision calibration of playback levels & NAB equalization.

24. Precision alignment of bias, record levels and record equalization

(Record Bias & EQ calibrated with RMGI SM-911 tape).

25. Installed Otari replacement cosmetic side panels, finishers, nylon washers & M3 hex screws.

26. Complete cosmetic cleaning of the external cabinet.

27. Rebuilt both Otari KWOH009 NAB Hub Adapters.

28. Complete testing of all functions with long-term extensive burn-in period.

Gene also includes a binder with a complete Otari instruction manual and a CDROM of the manual, two sets of XLR to RCA convertors to use for playback and recording and a sheet with everything he has done to the machine (copied above).

What does he charge? Depending on the exterior condition of the machine which he does a very nice job of cleaning up (I chose one that is in excellent condition) he charges between $2000 and $2400 (mine was the latter).

In the old days you could buy 15ips 2 track tape machines for a song (I bought my first Otari MX5050BIII that way in 2007 but sold it when I got my ATR-102s). Today people are charging between $1000 and $2000 for machines where the descriptions are the lights turn on when I plugged it on, don't have a tape to test it, or the tape moves when I thread it. Even machines being sold for parts are several hundred dollars.

Gene also is very generous with his time and will walk you through any maintenance issues. I just bought a scope (he told me which one to order) for $125 (B&K 2120) and he will walk me through how to use it to do azimuth allignment for my heads.

Highly recommended.

Larry
              Last edited by astrotoy; 02-25-2019, 11:03 AM.
              Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
              Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
              Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
              Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
              Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
              Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
              Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

• El Magnifico
                El Magnifico commented
                Editing a comment
                Larry, it would be beneficial if you submit the contact info and a website, if he has one. Thank you!

• astrotoy
                astrotoy commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, I've just added his email contact at the top of the post. Gene Walls ([email protected]).

In Belgium:

Tape heads: http://www.ambelgium.be/en/product_d...-special_heads

My technicien - Pierre Heremans : https://www.heremansav.com
              Heremans AV Waterloo Ofiice Park, Drève Richelle, 161 Bâtiment C, Bte 7, 2éme étage
              Telephone number + 32(0)477863239
              Email address [email protected]

Comment

Working...
              X