• Show
Clear All

• Anne Bisson: Blue Mind Tape Review

Click image for larger version

Name:	blue mind stack.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	9405

A wonderful transfer job done by our own Ki Choi! Congratulations! And sponsored by our own Gary Koh!
    Anne Bisson: Blue Mind, Co-sponsored by Wuti Larnroongroj, Brilliance Music and Studios and Gary Koh, Genesis Advanced Technologies. 15-ips, 2-track, reel-to-reel tape. Originally produced and recorded by: Guy St. Orge. Recorded July 21-22, 2008, Reference Studio, St-Calixte, Quebec. Remastered by Bernie Grundman. http://www.annebisson.com/en/. Price: $600. It's rare that performers get to revisit and remaster their... Read More Β»
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Myles-Just read the review and totally enjoyed it. I also really liked the background you provided about the labor of love from Ki and how painstaking and meticulous his work is.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post
      Myles-Just read the review and totally enjoyed it. I also really liked the background you provided about the labor of love from Ki and how painstaking and meticulous his work is.
      The ends Ki went to blew my mind!

And I do have to get around to reviewing his MA Recordings tape transfer that is all analog and on the exact same level. The tape world is truly lucky to have Ki around!!!

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Myles and Ki
        Vbr,

Sam

Comment

Link to article shows me a 404 error??????? Did a search on PF and returned the same.
          Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

• MylesBAstor
            MylesBAstor commented
            Editing a comment
            Try it now. Link got changed.

• Johnny Vinyl
            Johnny Vinyl commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! Reading it now!

Enjoyed reading about the process. Thanks Myles.

Dre
          Every day is a good day to play analog.
          - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
          - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
          Every day is a good day for live music.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

The ends Ki went to blew my mind!

And I do have to get around to reviewing his MA Recordings tape transfer that is all analog and on the exact same level. The tape world is truly lucky to have Ki around!!!
            +1
            I've benefitted from Ki's expertise and ended up with one of his surplus Nagra's a couple years back
            Also, Todd's tape done by Ki is really good!
            Chris

Comment

• allenh
              allenh commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Chris, great to see you here!

• Tunes
              Tunes commented
              Editing a comment
              Thx Allen. Someone mentioned this was a great place to be

• MylesBAstor
              MylesBAstor commented
              Editing a comment
              It's my home away from home lately!

Originally posted by Tunes View Post

+1
            I've benefitted from Ki's expertise and ended up with one of his surplus Nagra's a couple years back
            Also, Todd's tape done by Ki is really good!
            Chris

The MA Recording tape as well as a couple of others are on my short list to review!

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Thanks, Myles. Ki went to extraordinary lengths to perfect the reproduction - including the meticulous re-building FOUR Studer A820's from the ground-up. He also built another four Studer A80's "just in case".

Comment

Originally posted by garylkoh View Post
                Thanks, Myles. Ki went to extraordinary lengths to perfect the reproduction - including the meticulous re-building FOUR Studer A820's from the ground-up. He also built another four Studer A80's "just in case".

That's my Ki! And the results speak for themselves.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

My head got so big, I'm gonna have to widen my door when I get home so that I can get through.

Appreciate all the nice things you guys are saying about the work.

At the end, it's Anne's creative tunes and the original recording work that should be applauded. All I did was to scribe the original work as they were - I neither made them sound better nor different.

It's the tapeheads' ultimate quest to get as close to the original source as possible by playing the music on master dubs. I am glad I did something positive to that end and helped the artists to make more good music on tapes again.

Comment

Ki, congrats on great work. Sounds like a labor of love and the results are evidence of that.

Myles, thanks for the great writeup! Really informative as usual.

I am going to be so poor staying on this forum!
                    Kronos Sparta -> Trinity Phono -> Trinity Pre -> CH Precision A1 -> Magico S7s

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                      MylesBAstor commented
                      Editing a comment
                      At least you are in good company!

What a fab review Myles. Great read.

Ki, what a labour of love. Clearly your assistance to all of us in the tape world is totally unrivalled.

And if you ever need to widen the doors at home, it will probably only be for another tape machine. Like you actually need it!!πŸ˜±πŸ˜†πŸ˜‚

Comment

Originally posted by garylkoh View Post

And I just got a very nice note from Anne! πŸ˜€

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Let's not forget Gary's and Wuti's financial support in remastering the music. As most people know, this isn't a money making venture by any means.
                      Last edited by Ki Choi; 04-01-2016, 01:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X