Clearing Up Questions About RTM Tape

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clearing Up Questions About RTM Tape

Thanks to Jonathan, Tim and especially Don Morris!

Hello Don, nice to “meet” you. I guess the main thing that I would like to have a better understanding of is:
    1. When did the RMGI name change to Recording The Masters?
    2. There seems to be some impression (at least in social media) that something like SM900 tape made under RMGI is “old tape”, like there is something wrong with it. How old is it? How much of it is there? Full Compass, the link below seems to still be selling it.
    3. Is there any real difference between RMGI SM900 and Recording The Masters SM900?
    4. If I buy some from you which will it be?

Nice to meet you as well. Hopefully, what I have to say will answer all of your questions and this is the short version. I am the only person on earth who has been involved in the transition all of the below mentioned companies. I was a Studio and Broadcast Regional Manager for BASF, the Director of Sale of the Central US and Mexico for EMTEC and I have been the North American Distributor for RMGI, Pyral and Recording The Masters.

Click image for larger version  Name:	B48DC0AF-094D-49A9-9029-EB107CD6301B.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	111.8 KB ID:	94423

So I have a pretty good understanding about all of the transitions. Below is the short version. RMGI gave me permission to use their name in North America when I formed the distribution network for them here back in 2003.

The formally RMGI tape formulations were originally BASF and Agfa tape formulations. RMGI purchased these formulations from EMTEC in Germany when they went out of business in 2003 or so. EMTEC had purchased them from BASF in 1996.

In or about 2011 RMGI sold/merged with Pyral in France. At the time RMGI made enough tape in all formulations to last about a year while the equipment from RMGI in Holland was transferred and setup at the Pyral factory in France. Pyral continued to make tape under the RMGI brand until around 2013 when they changed the brand to Pyral, because of legal issues that had come up between the two companies, like Pyral not paying the royalties, that were due to RMGI in Holland. At the same time Pyral filed for what we would consider Chapter 11 Bankruptcy and was protected by the courts. They stayed in this position until 2015 when Mulann Industries purchased the assets of Pyral from the courts. They continued to sell under the Pyral name until 2016 when they changed the name to Recording The Masters.

So the current name of the product is Recording the Masters. Some dealers here have just never changed from RMGI which was the established brand name. But the tape that they deliver is the current Recording the Masters tape. Full Compass is a perfect example, they have been by far my largest dealer over the past 3 years, but they have never updated the photo’s on their website. So it still shows up as RMGI.

There was a lot of packaging that was left from the RMGI days, so there was still some products that were really RTM product that still going out in RMGI packaging. The only products that we have had in our warehouse here in the last 2 years that are still branded RMGI are some 5” reels of LPR-35 tape and 5” reels of SM-468 tape. I don’t know if there is much still on dealers shelves, but I really doubt it. A company like Full Compass probably rotates their entire stock every 60 to 90 days, so they would not have any RMGI tape available.

Social Media has all kinds of impressions. I get calls from people who read stuff on forms that is 10 years old and ask me is there still a shedding problem (yes RMGI did have a brief one) and I ask them did you look at the date on post. The answer is always no. So to be brief, all of the formulations coming out of the factory run very well. Can there be issues from time to time with a reel or a batch, sure those are far and few between for the amount of tape that we sell. The last time I checked is was less than 1/2 of 1% on all of the reels we sell. I have sold Jonathan hundreds of reels and maybe he has returned one or two.

We only stock current production of RTM at this time. Our inventory turns over about every 30 to 45 days so our stock is always fresh. All of the SM-900 incoming inventory in the month of August is already committed, to customers. If there is something we can help you out with in September please let me know, so we can get you on the list. The factory in France is closed until the 3rd week of August for summer holiday, so the is the main reason for the backlog.

I hope this cleared up any questions you had. I think I could write a book on the transition of tape formulations.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
    -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Don, thanks for the clarifications. I have bought RTM and RMGI and even NOS EMTEC SM468, SM911, and LPR35 over the years. Glad to know that ownership and management has stabilized. I don't do live recordings so haven't used SM900. Currently my dealer (Splicit) wrote that some 1/2" SM468 reels are awaiting the end of the August vacation for shipment.

Very happy that RTM is still producing high quality tapes.

Larry
    Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
    Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
    Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
    Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

I thought it was very kind and generous of Don to take the time to address my questions. It clears up a lot of the misinformation out there on the Interweb.
      Speakers: Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III on Stillpoints Ultra 5S feet
      Amplifier: Silver Circle Audio 300B Monoblocks with Takatsuki 300B tubes
      Preamp: TW Acustic RPA-100 Line Stage
      Phono Stage: TW Acustic RPS-100
      Turntable - TW Acustic Raven AC w/ Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades
      Tonearm: Kuzma 4-Point 14" with Air Tight Opus-1 Cartridge
      Tonearm: TW 10.5" with Miyajima Zero Mono
      Vinyl Care: Audio Desk Pro Ultrasonic & VPI 16.5 RCM
      CD/SACD: Playback Designs MP-5 to Bricasti M1 DAC
      Tape: Tascam 42B-NB (Refurb by Soren Wittrup)
      Tape Stage: Doshi V.3
      Power Conditioner: (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6
      Wire: Custom Furutech PC's & IC's + Inakustik LS-4004 Air Speaker Cables
      Tweaks: Stillpoints Aperture II Panels & Stillpoints Ultra SS's sprinkled about - SRA Ohio Class and Symposium Super Plus Platforms

Comment

Don Morris and me go back to the 90's when I was a BASF/Ampex dealer. He's one of the few remaining magnetic recording "Dinosaurs" still making a living completely out of analog tape. He's also working on a new project soon to be unveiled. RTM tapes are better than ever now and as you can see in their website, we are one of their 4 partners. Their offices would be in New York. Unfortunately, Don's exclusivity for the whole US distribution is no longer in effect.
        Last edited by El Magnifico; 08-14-2018, 06:16 AM.
        Sketsoteric Audio: "Analog Sound, Digital Flexibility"
        http://mortechpr.wixsite.com/cassetteadventures
        http://mortechpr.wixsite.com/cgmasteringservices

Comment

Thanks Don. It's good to know the recent history and the tapehead community will continue to have fresh new tapes to feed on for years to come.

Comment

Guys, just received a call from Antoine in RTM, New York clearing up all the turmoil concerning the apparent shortage on tape. In fact, there's none. If you go to their website, under dealers, you'll find all the authorized dealers in the USA, Europe and Asia. Those dealers are the one who abide by the new distribution agreement and dealer rules.

If you need any tape from them, please contact any of those dealers. If you need to talk to RTM, New York please call (646) 595-7082. Do not flood them with calls to ask what you can find in their website or to keep going on about the dealer/shortage thing that has been cleared up already. Just for important things, ok and please understand that you can't buy direct from them. You have to go through the authorized dealers.

Regards.

Comment

• jonathanhorwich
              jonathanhorwich commented
              Editing a comment
              RTM is out of 1/4" SM 900 pancakes until early Sept. But have stock in the other sizes of SM 900 and other tape. Probably why there is some confusion on whether they are out of tape or not.
              Last edited by jonathanhorwich; 08-14-2018, 07:15 PM.

• El Magnifico
              El Magnifico commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, you are right. That specific tape is out of stock. Coming soon. The thing is that I was talking about all the tapes in general and not about the 900's specifically. Hang in there. A full container is coming shortly. Regards!

Originally posted by El Magnifico View Post
            Guys, just received a call from Antoine in RTM, New York clearing up all the turmoil concerning the apparent shortage on tape. In fact, there's none. If you go to their website, under dealers, you'll find all the authorized dealers in the USA, Europe and Asia. Those dealers are the one who abide by the new distribution agreement and dealer rules.

If you need any tape from them, please contact any of those dealers. If you need to talk to RTM, New York please call (646) 595-7082. Do not flood them with calls to ask what you can find in their website or to keep going on about the dealer/shortage thing that has been cleared up already. Just for important things, ok and please understand that you can't buy direct from them. You have to go through the authorized dealers.

Regards.
            Thanks for the information on their website. I am contacting them to see whether their dealer list is up to date. The reason is that Don mentions Full Compass as by far his biggest US dealer the past three years and they are not listed as a dealer, neither is Splicit which is my dealer.

Larry
            Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
            Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
            Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
            Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
            Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
            Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
            Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Larry, on Splicit's and FC case, what I understand is that they were not in accordance with the new RTM dealership requirements, hence I'm afraid they are no longer RTM's dealers right now. The list is up to date and those are the current dealers in the US. I highly recommends Don's RMGI. He's fast, diligent and you don't have to buy the whole case. I believe Johnathan's is his customer too. Regards!

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                MylesBAstor commented
                Editing a comment
                I think Chad also orders his tape from Don.

• El Magnifico
                El Magnifico commented
                Editing a comment
                I heard that finally FC made an approach to RTM!

Originally posted by El Magnifico View Post
              Larry, on Splicit's and FC case, what I understand is that they were not in accordance with the new RTM dealership requirements, hence I'm afraid they are no longer RTM's dealers right now. The list is up to date and those are the current dealers in the US. I highly recommends Don's RMGI. He's fast, diligent and you don't have to buy the whole case. I believe Johnathan's is his customer too. Regards!
              And just when I thought the confusion was getting cleared up? I thought there is no more RMGI and that it's all RTM tape now?

Also, what is the difference between a "Partner" and a "Dealer"?
              Speakers: Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III on Stillpoints Ultra 5S feet
              Amplifier: Silver Circle Audio 300B Monoblocks with Takatsuki 300B tubes
              Preamp: TW Acustic RPA-100 Line Stage
              Phono Stage: TW Acustic RPS-100
              Turntable - TW Acustic Raven AC w/ Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades
              Tonearm: Kuzma 4-Point 14" with Air Tight Opus-1 Cartridge
              Tonearm: TW 10.5" with Miyajima Zero Mono
              Vinyl Care: Audio Desk Pro Ultrasonic & VPI 16.5 RCM
              CD/SACD: Playback Designs MP-5 to Bricasti M1 DAC
              Tape: Tascam 42B-NB (Refurb by Soren Wittrup)
              Tape Stage: Doshi V.3
              Power Conditioner: (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6
              Wire: Custom Furutech PC's & IC's + Inakustik LS-4004 Air Speaker Cables
              Tweaks: Stillpoints Aperture II Panels & Stillpoints Ultra SS's sprinkled about - SRA Ohio Class and Symposium Super Plus Platforms

Comment

• El Magnifico
                El Magnifico commented
                Editing a comment
                Dealers are re-sellers. Partners are involved with the company in another kind of professional relationship. Regards.

That’s sad if Splicit will no longer sell RTM tape...that’s where I always bought it from.
              TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
              VINYL: Pioneer PL-50LII/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
              DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, MacMini > Oppo Sonica/Pioneer N-50
              SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9
              AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

• jonathanhorwich
                jonathanhorwich commented
                Editing a comment
                I highly recommend Don Morris. Wonderful dealer and person. His email is: donmorris@rmgi-usa.com

• Skylab
                Skylab commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Jonathan, will check him out!

• El Magnifico
                El Magnifico commented
                Editing a comment
                My first choice as well. Don is the man!

Thanks, all, for the salient information
              Vbr,

Sam

Comment

Working...
              X