Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updates on the New Metaxas Reel To Reel Location Recorder

Yes it is real. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...;v=ZUJuSgv_afc

https://www.facebook.com/kostas.meta...93J2yGwYs& hc_ref=ARSNpJFOUacm0QTf1xmZgXnmbJdmvOdmt9nfKpK9ekE H1AObOMtDGdJQ5joj3aZHoXY&fref=nf and then click the SEE MORE button

Very cool. I would ditch the fushia accents in favor of black o'wise perfect.
    Linn Kilmax LP12 | Channel D Lino C | innous ZENMini | Kii Three

Comment

Another new video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVps...ature=youtu.be

Comment

Earl, appreciate the post. I've been following Kostas' work for some time. Glad you posted the last youtube showing that its playback electronics are working. I was a little surprised to hear the tape scrape on the first youtube that you posted. I only have my two ATR-102s to compare which don't have any tape scrape issues unless the reels are warped. Don't have a Nagra or Stellavox or Lyrec, which I think are more comparable. Anyone with those machines want to compare with what you heard on the youtubes. Obviously this is a new machine. Has there been any update on the pricing?

Thanks, Larry
        Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
        Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
        Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
        Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
        Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
        Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
        Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Originally posted by astrotoy View Post
          Earl, appreciate the post. I've been following Kostas' work for some time. Glad you posted the last youtube showing that its playback electronics are working. I was a little surprised to hear the tape scrape on the first youtube that you posted. I only have my two ATR-102s to compare which don't have any tape scrape issues unless the reels are warped. Don't have a Nagra or Stellavox or Lyrec, which I think are more comparable. Anyone with those machines want to compare with what you heard on the youtubes. Obviously this is a new machine. Has there been any update on the pricing?

Thanks, Larry
          Larry,

Are you referring to the synchronous tape scraping sound on that video?

If so, it's self explanatory if you watch the supply reel. It is highly probable the cause is the tape scraping the supply reel if that's the case based on what I saw/heard.

Additionally, the noise is not there on subsequent videos.

Dre
          Every day is a good day to play analog.
          - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
          - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
          Every day is a good day for live music.

Comment

The bigger issue, IMHO, is that the person doing the demo states that the scraping "is unfortunately normal in a tape recorder".

Whoever this person is, it clearly shows that this person isn't very knowledgeable about the process of tape transports. If this is person happens to be the designer (Kostas?), it's even more worrisome.
            Speakers: Rockport Avior
            Amp: Ypsilon Aelius Mk II Silver Edition
            Preamp: Pass Labs XS
            Phono preamp: Ypsilon VPS-100, Slagle Silver SUTs
            Phono: Continuum Criterion, Kuzma 4-Point, Lyra Etna SL (and others)
            Digital: LauferTeknik Memory Player, dCS Scarlatti DAC
            Tape: Studer A80 RC, King/Cello preamp

Comment

• astrotoy
              astrotoy commented
              Editing a comment
              The voice sounds like Kostas Metaxas.

https://robbreport.com/gear/audio/me...-reel-2784016/

According to this article from March of 2018, the tape recorder price is $55K. Take a look at the gallery for the radical design of the tape recorder.
            For those not familiar with Robb Report, it caters to the very wealthy and their toys. It was said that it was Michael Jackson's favorite magazine.

That was what i remember seeing a year ago. Just found this, however.

https://hifipig.com/metaxas-and-sins...in-production/

A year later, the design had changed to be much more conventional, and the price dropped to 30,000 euros.

Larry
            Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
            Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
            Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
            Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
            Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
            Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
            Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Working...
            X