No announcement yet.

United Home Audio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally I've been taking advantage and supporting those who are releasing tapes now. Everything from the TP to Ultraanalog, Opus 3 and Int. Phono, Acoustic Sounds, Yarlung etc. etc.

Comment

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      As Mark, Andre and I were discussing over breakfast one day, tapeheads are getting a lot choosier in which tapes they are buying. No longer are tapeheads just buying any tape that is available just to have some software. There's now enough tapes out there--couple with cost--so that many are looking for the tapes that are reference quality musically and sonically. Big changes from when the Tape Project started over a decade ago.

Originally posted by Letsmakeadeal View Post
    Where do you guys get your tapes? I've only seen a few of the "Master Tape" copies available and they are very expensive....Is there a source for 2nd or 3rd generation copies of a lot of our "go to" music at affordable cost (like no more than 100.00)? Maybe I just have not looked hard enough?????????????
    Companies producing reel-to-reel tapes: ABC Records (Jazz/Classical/Other) http://www.abcrecord.com (http://www.abcrecord.com/) Acoustic Sounds:
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2, vdh Colibri Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Fuuga cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• Reel2reelman
      Reel2reelman commented
      Editing a comment
      Myles, do you have or listened to tapes from ABC records? If so how are they? I think they are coming from China right? How is the quality and are they true masters? I am interested in few of their titles like Any Williams etc.

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      I haven't but somewhere on the Board Larry/Astrotoy has and commented. I have always worried about provenance with these tapes. You know it would be hard for them to get the masters unless they did what Chad did and had someone else make a running master for them.

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post
    no one is going to publicly post third generation tapes for sale, they are illegal, you just have to "know" someone selling them.
    ? It's illegal only if you haven't properly licensed the tape for sale from the record company that owns the rights to the recording. And by the way, more and more label are coming around to licensing their tapes for release on R2R. Record labels used to be hesitant to give the rights out because they were afraid of illegal copying. In fact Chad ran across that recently and retorted what about the high res digital downloads you have for download. He has a point since those copies are certainly more prone to be used for illegal copying and would be far more easily distributed.

There are a few second generation tapes out there: Int. Phonograph; Groove Note; Opus 3. Technically the RCAs done by Chad are second gen because RCA always started with the safety and then went from there. All Chad's RCA running masters are from the original three track original work tapes, not two track mixdown.

The rest are third generation. Master--->Running master-->Consumer copy. Care is taken so the consumer copies though have minimal loss and certainly no additional hiss is added.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2, vdh Colibri Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Fuuga cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• JCOConnell
      JCOConnell commented
      Editing a comment
      by "illegal", I meant like someone buying a legitimate copy for $400 from acoustic sounds and then making dubs and selling those copies for less.

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok but those aren't in most cases third gen then. At best, 4th gen. Maybe even 5th.

Finally Finished the new billet aluminum UHA Tape Deck headblock cover after a year of trial and error and a crap load of prototypes!

This fits perfectly and bolts directly to the chassis.
    It has a custom cut and fit Mu-Metal lining.

It measured with a benefit of -2db to -3db lower noise floor with the Mu-Metal lining!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	1c32e8ee0.jpg Views:	1 Size:	131.3 KB ID:	64570
    Thick billet aluminum

Click image for larger version  Name:	1c1b20b90.jpg Views:	1 Size:	100.2 KB ID:	64574

Raw Mu-Metal Sheets

Click image for larger version  Name:	1c305bee0.jpg Views:	1 Size:	78.5 KB ID:	64571

Custom Cutting The Mu-Metal

Click image for larger version  Name:	1c2220580.jpg Views:	1 Size:	80.4 KB ID:	64572

Perfect custom fit, lots of cut fingers....

Click image for larger version  Name:	1c2420580.jpg Views:	1 Size:	191.0 KB ID:	64573
    Attached Files

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	387.3 KB ID:	65632 I just picked up this billet machined, mu metal lined head block cover and new style of NAB Precision machined Reel hubs Greg is offering for my Phase 12S. If you want a 100% even connection (instead of three pucks) between the reel and the reel hub, this is it. You attach the reel to the hub first then attach the hub to the deck in the usual way using the spring lock on the motor spindle. No more squeaky, whiney reel hub sounds heard at low volume or low music intensity moments made from the rubber band and pucks used to hold the reel to the hub for revox/dark lab style NAB hubs. Totally worth the money.
      Last edited by rockitman; 09-21-2017, 12:02 AM.
      Christian
      System Gear

Comment

Working...
      X