Rebuilt Revox A77 or B77

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilt Revox A77 or B77

Can anyone recommend a reputable source besides eBay for a rebuilt Revox A77 or B77, a 2-track, 15 ips version with the IEC curve, or with a modification to allow switching between IEC and NAB? Thanks very much! It needs to on standard US power.
    Transrotor Rossini Turntable w/Jelco SA-750DB
    Audio Note Io Gold Cart. w/AN-S9 SUT
    Audio Note CDT-Four Transport/Woo WDS-1 DAC
    Ayre QX-5 Twenty Dig. Hub & 13” MacBook Pro w/Roon w/Melco N1A NAS
    AN OTO Phono SE Signature Int. Amp w/AN-E SEC Silver Speakers w/Murata Super Tweeters
    Purple J-Corder 1520 R2R and Nakamichi Dragon Cassette Deck
    PSAudio P10 AC Regen./Equi=Tech Bal. Transformer
    Harmonic Technology, Audio Note, Kondo Sound Labs, Stealth, AQ Cables
    Woo GES w/Sfax SR-507 Headphones

I’m interested too. Except I’d want 240v. I’ll keep an eye on your thread.
    SME 10, twin arms, SME IV with Lyra Kleos, SME 309 with Benz Micro Ace Mono.
    Garrard 401 with Ortofon 12" arm and Ortofon SPU Classic GM MkII
    Amp, Luxman 507u
    Speakers, Harbeth SHL5Plus

Comment

I am curious as to why you guys picked those Revox machines. If either of you are going to get into 15 ips 2 track tapes, there are better choices to be had. Besides, I don't know if anyone is truly rebuilding them and offering them for sale to the public. Both the A-77 and B-77 sold in high numbers to consumers, but I'm pretty sure the most common model sold was the 4 track low speed version. To source a decent condition A-77 or B-77 2 track 15 ips model and have it rebuilt won't be cheap and I would think the price would be beyond it's true value. How much money are you guys willing to sink into an A-77 or B-77?
      SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek with an SME 3012R with Dyna XV-1S cartridge, VPI Avenger table with rim drive and JMW -12-3D arrm with Lyra Etna SL cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, and NOLA KO speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

I agree about the A77. This older model had more than its share of problems and isn’t likely to ever be a reliable daily deck. The B77 Mk II however certainly can be. And it’s a great sounding deck, too - I know, I have one, although admittedly it doesn’t get much use anymore with the other decks I have.

I will say though that if one could get a TASCAM BR-20 for the same price as a B77, and it is sometimes possible, the BR-20 being much more modern would be the better choice.
        TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20, 3030; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
        VINYL: VPI ScoutMaster/Benz LP-S MR/EAR 834P; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
        SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9
        AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

• mep
          mep commented
          Editing a comment
          My comment wasn't just about reliability. It's the overall design and tape path. These decks were built to strict price points for consumers and not professional users. I owned an A-77 as my first deck and my best friend had a B-77 which he brought over to my house before. They were essentially learning curve tape decks on the way to something better.

Originally posted by Skylab View Post
        I agree about the A77. This older model had more than its share of problems and isn’t likely to ever be a reliable daily deck. The B77 Mk II however certainly can be. And it’s a great sounding deck, too - I know, I have one, although admittedly it doesn’t get much use anymore with the other decks I have.

I will say though that if one could get a TASCAM BR-20 for the same price as a B77, and it is sometimes possible, the BR-20 being much more modern would be the better choice.
        Plus, the BR-20 plays both NAB and IEC.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Basis 2200 Signature with Calibration Base, Vector 4 Tonearm, Lyra Etna SL; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC, Oppo BDP-105;

Comment

Thanks guys.. I’m on a learning curve myself and thought I’d add an interest in this thread. Doing some more research I discovered the Braclay Crocker series of tapes.. I might now start off with a 7” machine and buy a few of these tapes. I believe these tapes were of decent quality..
          SME 10, twin arms, SME IV with Lyra Kleos, SME 309 with Benz Micro Ace Mono.
          Garrard 401 with Ortofon 12" arm and Ortofon SPU Classic GM MkII
          Amp, Luxman 507u
          Speakers, Harbeth SHL5Plus

Comment

• JCOConnell
            JCOConnell commented
            Editing a comment
            aren't those dolby encoded?

• Skylab
            Skylab commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, they are Dolby encoded, so they will sound best with a deck that has Dolby onboard or with an external decoder (I have a TEAC)

• kensell21
            kensell21 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes I did realise that they had Dolby.. it makes finding the right deck that little bit harder to find. But the hunt starts. Thanks

Well, since I owned an A77 from 1977 to 1997 and used it as much for recording as playback, I’ve gotten used to its operational feel the same way you get used to a particular camera, so it’s not just about souund quality and reliability. The J-Corder 1520 is certainly very well [re]buit, very flexible, and sounds great. It’s truly how it feels to operate that bothers me; but who knows?
          AN OTO Phono SE Signature Int. Amp w/AN-E SEC Silver Speakers w/Murata Super Tweeters

Comment

Although I know that the reason we invest in high-end audio is to get better sound, I can’t see why having a component appear aesthetically appealing to the eye is a bad thing, and I realized that the particular color of my J-Corder left me feeling a little uncomfortable, so I invested in a gold-toned 10.5 inch take up reel, designed and built by J-Corder, to bring out the accents in the facia. It looks much better this way and leaves me feeling a lot more comfortable with the look and feel of my 1520. The reel is also heavier and more precisely machined than average, which may or may not improve the sound as well.

Comment

Originally posted by kensell21 View Post
              Thanks guys.. I’m on a learning curve myself and thought I’d add an interest in this thread. Doing some more research I discovered the Braclay Crocker series of tapes.. I might now start off with a 7” machine and buy a few of these tapes. I believe these tapes were of decent quality..
              I started buying B-C tapes in the early '80's when they were selling them directly by mail order. I went through several dolby B decoders, mostly Teacs which were generously speaking mediocre. The problem at the time was I didn't know they were mediocre. So I continued to play them, thinking they were an improvement over the standard stereo tapes one could buy - recorded at a lower speed (maybe 4 to 6x normal speed instead of 12x) and B-C did make an excellent selection of fine albums from some of the best labels for sonics. Everything changed in the late 2000's when i got a Bottlehead modified Technics 1506 which bypassed all the solid state electronics from the '70's to the Bottlehead prepro which was about the earliest one on the market. I found a fellow who was taking the original dolby B model 330 encoder/decoder and doing some very nice mods and replacing of old electronics parts. I had him build one of the modified Dolby B 330's for me and in the process found he and I both had very good collections of the Barclay-Crocker tapes - totalling about 300 of the 400 reels that they ever issued. For posterity, I ripped them with my Pacific Microsonics Model Two/Pyramix setup to 192/24 aiff and they are very special. Not quite the level of 15ips 2 track dubs of safetly masters of the same albums, but pretty close, and there are 300 albums.

Bottom line. Make sure you get a great dolby B decoder (maybe start with a Model 330) or you will be missing a lot of what is in those tapes. There were a few of the tapes that they did with dbx II encoders, which have to be decoded with a dbx II machine. You can't use the dbx I decoder (like the ones built into some tape recorders - like my old Akai 767dbx machine. No sure whether my friend is still modifying the dolby B decoders but you can PM me and I can give you his contact information. He recently moved from the Bay Area to the Pacific Northwest.

Larry
              Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
              Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacMicroModel2
              Dig Play-mch NADAC, Roon, HQPlayer, Oppo95
              Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
              Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
              Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
              Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

I have an A77 "project deck" that I bought used off ebay several years back. It came to me not functioning and I have not bothered to work on it. That said I do have some observations about it as well as a general comparision between it and an Otari MX5050 BII-2.
                The Revox I grade as consumer quality in build and overall impression. The impression and 'feel' get's its substance from the plastic and faux wood film exterior. Inside there is lots of metal, no doubt, as this thing is quite heavy to pick up. The carry handle is useful. I can say that for it.

The Otari by comparison gives the visual impression of decent respectable and functional pro-audio gear. That's just on visuals and comes from my inexperienced and subjective perspective. I have yet to experience a fully functional A77 and therefore I can not comment on sonic qualities. I've read that the output is good sounding on the Revox.
                Yet, I could really care less for the Revox. it does not fare well in direct comparison to the Otari. Just my 2c.
                -Steve

Comment

hi,

i have a Revox A77 mkii 7 1/2 ips. it was all recapped, new heads, new vu-meters ( from Nagravox), new pot-meters, new pinch-roller, new rca inputs and outputs, and calibrated for SM900 tape. it works and sounds great. you will have to spent a fortune rebuilding a A77. Would i do it again ?
                  Yes ! i just love it !

By the way i also have a Revox PR99 MKIII 15 ips that it was also all rebuilt and that actually sounds greater than the A77. But i wouldn't get rid of the A77 for nothing.

Looking for a fifty year old revox a77 working like a new one is just a special sensation...

i think that rebuilding a b77 is less expensive and you can find more parts in eBay that actually are in good conditions.

Comment

This topic has caused me to take interest in that A77 project deck I've been storing. I bought it circa 2009 off ebay from a seller that fairly described its condition. In its previous life it had been, for quite some time. out in the garage. Well here are a few piccies if anybody is interested.

More photos at the link.
                    http://www.theanalogdept.com/a77.htm

Boy this one really was out in the garage. It looks like a complete disassemble repair as needed, including cleaning and polishing much of the metal. Look at those circuit boards....late sixties / early seventies. I'm not sure but I suspect this one to be the first A77. Red plastic buttons and all.

Above in my earlier post I was wrong about one thing, there is no faux wood film on this one...the cabinet is plywood with veneer.-- and it's a tidy job of it.
                    Notice also on the id sticker. The company owner puts his name on it. Willi Studer...I think I like it better but.....

It's a lot of work .....but now I want to dive in. It's a major clean-up to start with.

-Steve
                    Last edited by user510; 02-14-2018, 11:45 AM.

Comment

With that much corrosion inside, I would not attempt repair. Bearings, heads, switches, connectors, pots, caps, resistors, wires will all be degraded by the long-term exposure to high humidity. Give up.

Comment

• user510
                        user510 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It powers up. it lights up. The reel motors run. The capstan drives. The only thing is that there seems to be no control over speed. When switched to play the speed is not regulated, it just wants to keep running faster. Otherwise....?
                        Nope. I'm not going to give up yet.
                        re: corrosion. At the rca inputs/outputs is quite advanced. But that part is not covered by the case work and exposed to atmosphere. Inside the case the corrosion does not appear quite so terminal.

i'll mess around with it a bit. I've a feeling that it may just need some cleaning in its various switches to get back into operation.
                        More photos available at the above link.
                        All that said, I see what you mean. it does look rather scary inside.

-Steve

I'm talking about long-term reliability. I see tons of corrosion inside the deck. You will always have problems cropping up due to it. There are plenty of A77 decks out there for sale that have zero corrosion.

Comment

• user510
                        user510 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Noted. One thing for sure, the cabinet is in nice condition.
                        -Steve
                        PS: have you considered responding to a post within this thread using the 'comment' option. It helps to keep your comments specific to a particular post.

I had both the B77 and Otari MX5050B2 lll , the otari was light years ahead of the revox in tape handling.
                      Sound was better also,maybe not light years but better IMO. There are tons of machines and parts out there
                      for the revox though,and a few web sites with kits to rework the boards which is very helpful, I now have
                      a Sony APR5003 that sound great but parts are hard to come by.but I overlook that cause its such a joy to operate.

Comment

Working...
                      X