Introducing the new Merrill Audio Tape Head Preamplifier Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello everyone,
    My name is Robert Witrak owner of High Definition Tape Transfers. Many of you know who I am, but the ones that don't my business is transferring tape to high-resolution digital mainly for downloads for the past 13 years.
    I was beta testing the new Merrill Tape Pre for Merrill and even from the first unit I tried I heard a special piece of gear.
    It doesn't have a sonic signature, it is very neutral and revealing, and with excellent bass, and always musical.
    Now to get one in my studio, Merrill
    BTW I was at the introduction this past Saturday at XtremeFidelity enjoying the new Pre with other audiophile tape heads (It was a great time) we all knew we were listening to something special.

Comment

Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
      -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
      -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
      -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
      -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

A

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
        -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
        -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
        -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
        -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Thank you for posting these Myles! Amazing how good a phone recording can sound.
            Tom
            TIDAL Audio Agoria Loudspeakers; VAC, Merrill Audio & Bricasti electronics; Spiral Groove SG-2 TT with Centroid Arm & Transfiguration Proteus D Cartridge; Ampex ATR-102 with Merrill Audio Tape Preamp & Ampex electronics & Tape Project/Technics RS1500 reel-reels with Bottlehead Tube Repro Pre; Sonore Optical Signature RenduSE Network Player; Bricasti M12 DAC/Source Controller; Ansuz Cables & Power Distribution

INDUSTRY AFFILIATION: Dealer- XtremeFidelity.net (VAC, Bricasti Design, Merrill Audio, Sonore, Ansuz, Synergistic Research & others)

Comment

Hi all,
              An update: We are quite humbled by the extremely positive reactions of sophisticated tape audiophiles to the new Merrill Audio Tape Head Preamplifier. Units have been out on audition non-stop and Merrill's first production run is almost sold out. The "Master" version (pictured), the middle unit in the product line and, honestly, the unit that looks like the very clear favorite, begins to ship mid-September. Auditions are available through XtremeFidelity. Contact me at [email protected]
              Tom
              TIDAL Audio Agoria Loudspeakers; VAC, Merrill Audio & Bricasti electronics; Spiral Groove SG-2 TT with Centroid Arm & Transfiguration Proteus D Cartridge; Ampex ATR-102 with Merrill Audio Tape Preamp & Ampex electronics & Tape Project/Technics RS1500 reel-reels with Bottlehead Tube Repro Pre; Sonore Optical Signature RenduSE Network Player; Bricasti M12 DAC/Source Controller; Ansuz Cables & Power Distribution

INDUSTRY AFFILIATION: Dealer- XtremeFidelity.net (VAC, Bricasti Design, Merrill Audio, Sonore, Ansuz, Synergistic Research & others)

Comment

I am pleased to post "hot from the photographer" pictures of the production units of the MASTER Tape Head Preamplifier. We're real excited! Contact me if you'd like an audition.
                Tom
                Last edited by Afveep; 09-04-2019, 09:58 AM.

Comment

• Odyssey
                  Odyssey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've got my Merrill MASTER ordered! I hope to see it some time in late September or early October. Thanks to Tom I got to audition the PURE with my newly re-built Ampex ATR 102. The PURE sounds much better than the ATR 102 internal electronics and give the Doshi V3 a real run for the money!

I agree with what the others above have said and have purchased one. The unit is more transparent than any preamp i have heard, is lightning fast and has dynamics that are off the charts, yet it sounds musical, with not a hint of graininess. A friend of mine had it right when he said that it made the internal 102 amp sound broken

Comment

I was loaned the standard Tape Preamp from Merrill for a few days use and found it to be an excellent choice for replacing the stock electronics in my Ampex ATR-102 that was redone a few yeas ago by ATR. The unit sounds very good as is but the Merrill preamp really lifted it to another level of transparency, detail, naturalness, and the ability to flip EQ as the tape required it. Very impressed, will be purchasing when they become available. Only negative is the cables must come out the front leaving the door open on the Ampex so my granddaughter immediately shoved her hand in the open door. Only mentioned to let you know to be careful with children around.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Weisfeld View Post
                    I was loaned the standard Tape Preamp from Merrill for a few days use and found it to be an excellent choice for replacing the stock electronics in my Ampex ATR-102 that was redone a few yeas ago by ATR. The unit sounds very good as is but the Merrill preamp really lifted it to another level of transparency, detail, naturalness, and the ability to flip EQ as the tape required it. Very impressed, will be purchasing when they become available. Only negative is the cables must come out the front leaving the door open on the Ampex so my granddaughter immediately shoved her hand in the open door. Only mentioned to let you know to be careful with children around.
                    Thanks for the very positive comments on the Merrill Tape Head preamp Harry! With regard to the cabling from the ATR-102 heads, you are referring to the optional Merrill Audio custom bypass cards that replace the two Ampex audio boards and bring out the direct head signal. Their cabling can indeed exit the front of the deck; or, they can be threaded through the cage to exit the rear. Alternately, a hole can be punched in the chassis bottom plate for the cables to exit with the door closed. Alternately, many ATR owners have high-quality switches installed on the head block with output jacks installed on the deck's rear panel that will feed the external preamp.

The Master Preamp is available for order right now; the first production run is being delivered this month. Anyone interested may contact me for an audition.
                    Tom
                    XtremeFidelity

Comment

Thanks for the info Tom, of course you are correct and when I get back from Vacation will address all this on the Ampex. Thanks for helping us old tape guys with new things to keep us busy, it is all appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                      X