Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you connect your outboard tape repro ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you connect your outboard tape repro ?

I have a deHavilland

From your heads direct out to the repro do you go direct to your amps or do you go through a line stage to your amp from the repro?

Thanks,
    Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
    Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
    Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
    Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
    Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
    Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

I go through a Pass XS line stage from the Doshi....

Comment

Let's put it this way. You need some way to control the signal level (volume). If your tape pre has a level control AND enough gain to feed your amps directly, then that's the simplest path. Otherwise I'd guess that most folks use a line stage (with a level control and extra gain if/as needed). Or if gain isn't a problem you could go with a passive gain control.

MERRY CHRISTMAS / HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Charles

Comment

The deHavilland is a component just like a phono pre. My Doshi tape pre feeds my preamp.
        Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Miyajima Madake, Miyajima Zero, Benz Micro LPS; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Studer A812; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Comment

The deHavilland has about 55db of gain and gain controls with a buffer.... it can drive an amp directly.... just wondering what people do and what is their sonic preference
          Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
          Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
          Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
          Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
          Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
          Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

• Rob
            Rob commented
            Editing a comment
            I had the same dehavilland 222 and at the time used a linestage. That particular system was inefficient and I needed all the gain I could get to properly drive the back end (poweramp, speakers).

I would let your ears judge. Over all system synergy is trumps correctness I feel. I use a my preamp always it suites my amps best and gives me a safe volume control point. I’m always afraid of using a device directly into my amps.
          regarding a passive line stage it’s not often they are best as they rob dynamics. An active line stage is best most times. I wound use the volume pot on your head pre into a preamp to set the input gain best for your premap. It also may effect the tone so higher output tends to make it leaner and lower gain more powerful up until it degagdes into the noise floor.
          On my tape deck the volume controls sit in the middle of a gain stage. While it does not make big sound changes it does out my preamp in its sweet spot. Just my two cents
          analog stuff.
          otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
          otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
          sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
          new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
          thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
          thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
          kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
          phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
          speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
          mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
          digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
          Dacs lampi various

Comment

My Doshi goes to my preamp.

Larry
            Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
            Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
            Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
            Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
            Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
            Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
            Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

I connect the Bottlehead tape pre to the systems main preamp.

Comment

Working...
              X